Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
How does Shantae run on this?
Pretty much as it should run (there's almost any slowdown ...when it happens is not too noticeable at all) ...if you used Lameboy to play it, Gameyob makes a much better job

Plus you can get some cool 'gba enhanced' features when you play Shantae on Gameyob:
GBA enhanced mode changes the palette for the game slightly, and also an NPC in Bandit Town will now offer to tell you a secret for 500 gems. If you enter the "Advanced Genies!" building and pay up, you'll unlock a new dance, which can be performed by pressing Down, Up, Up. The dance allows you to play as a Tinkerbat. In addition to a sabre attack with a decent range, the Tinkerbat can run, jump, and climb walls like the monkey; charge foward like the elephant (by holding down and pressing B); and climb walls like the spider.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Ausjor97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I just bought a DSTWO (switching from acekard 2i because of block), so I'm kind of new to the different software for the DSTWO. I want to play pokemon yellow and crystal. Should I download lameboy, or is gameyob far enough along to where I can forget about lameboy? Is gameyob far enough along to support the pokemon games, and are there any bugs when playing the pokemon games on it? Thanks, and good luck with the project.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Speed is slowly decreasing since v0.3, while Shantae is still very playable, slowdown is more noticeable in the latest builds than it was. I haven't tried optimizing anything since that huge wave of optimization between .2 and .3.
Hey everyone, I just bought a DSTWO (switching from acekard 2i because of block), so I'm kind of new to the different software for the DSTWO. I want to play pokemon yellow and crystal. Should I download lameboy, or is gameyob far enough along to where I can forget about lameboy? Is gameyob far enough along to support the pokemon games, and are there any bugs when playing the pokemon games on it? Thanks, and good luck with the project.
Gameyob seems to to a better job with voiced sounds effects, and I actually added a hack specifically to make the Pika sounds accurate. You can't hear them at all in Lameboy, so, GameYob is definitely preferable for Pokemon Yellow. But Yob has a few small issues with conventional sound in Pokemon that I haven't looked into yet. Other than sound, both emulators seem to support Pokemon perfectly. Feature-wise, the beta builds have almost everything Lameboy has including scaling, plus some other cool things like custom borders and cheats. I'm obviously biased but I'd recommend Gameyob :wink:
zip support yet?
Nope not yet, but when I implement this it probably wouldn't work with bigger roms, same as lameboy. Even 2 megabyte roms might need to stay uncompressed.

superdqfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Okay this is fixed now. You can try it out using the latest build for the master branch in the first post.
It required splitting up 2 parts of the rendering of each scanline, to be done at different times... at least, that was necessary to prevent breaking other games. Because by fixing this game, a few others temporarily broke - Robocop's level transition, Link's Awakening's intro... whatever I tried, something would end up broken. Turns out that on a gameboy, the first scanline takes twice as long to render for whatever reason. By implementing this, along with the fix for That Japanese Game, a lot of things are working better - Star Wars no longer freezes when pressing select, and one part of the gejmbaj demo has been fixed - it runs perfect now. The regressions I noticed seem to have disappeared, but it's possible another has crept up somewhere.

Can you try using the master branch latest build now, rather than the special build from last page? And if it does boot, please test scaling to see if it works...

Oh,Thanks a lot!Best wish for gameyob to be more and more perfect!

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
:gba: RESIDENT EVIL GAIDEN american rom runs 100% I tested by myself XD:gba: .

:nds: THIS EMULATOR IS GREAT:nds:

Do you know if is possible to add the fullscreen function in future versions??
I mean to play gb and gbc games with the ds screen size(will be great for everyone who have DSi XL)

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Do you know if is possible to add the fullscreen function in future versions??
I mean to play gb and gbc games with the ds screen size(will be great for everyone who have DSi XL)

It's already there ..try using the last build
the Scale option can be set to Off, Aspect and Full

Ausjor97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speed is slowly decreasing since v0.3, while Shantae is still very playable, slowdown is more noticeable in the latest builds than it was. I haven't tried optimizing anything since that huge wave of optimization between .2 and .3.

Gameyob seems to to a better job with voiced sounds effects, and I actually added a hack specifically to make the Pika sounds accurate. You can't hear them at all in Lameboy, so, GameYob is definitely preferable for Pokemon Yellow. But Yob has a few small issues with conventional sound in Pokemon that I haven't looked into yet. Other than sound, both emulators seem to support Pokemon perfectly. Feature-wise, the beta builds have almost everything Lameboy has including scaling, plus some other cool things like custom borders and cheats. I'm obviously biased but I'd recommend Gameyob :wink:

Nope not yet, but when I implement this it probably wouldn't work with bigger roms, same as lameboy. Even 2 megabyte roms might need to stay uncompressed.
Oh, alright, thanks for the info! :D

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just found out that Goomba for DS has a speedup mode that can be enabled with L + Start. Shantae runs at 100 FPS. :blink:

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
goomba is for gba to play gb/gbc
There was an effort to port Goomba to DS but it was cut short for some reason, and no source was provided. There are public betas floating around which are basically unusable due to lack of saving and crummy sound. I keep it on my SD to experiment with from time to time.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
There was an effort to port Goomba to DS but it was cut short for some reason, and no source was provided. There are public betas floating around which are basically unusable due to lack of saving and crummy sound. I keep it on my SD to experiment with from time to time.

If you want the source code just ask dwedit for it. If you can't contact him I can provide you with the source code if you'd like. It doesn't compile under any recent version of devkitarm and my attempts to make it compile resulted in it not working at all :(

Reactions: MarkDarkness

sverx

a DS homebrewer
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
adshomebrewersdiary.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Italy
[...] but when I implement this it probably wouldn't work with bigger roms, same as lameboy. Even 2 megabyte roms might need to stay uncompressed.

Which library are you going to use to unzip? Theoretically it should be possible to unzip from disk to ram using a fairly small amount of temporary space...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lmao +1