Hacking Total noob, just got my first ever nds with M3ds real

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey guys, it's great to finally join this forum. I just received a nds lite and it came with a M3dsreal sd card adapter. The system has already games on it, but this setup seems very old and it's like the system has never been used for more than a decade, it has even few music folders from 2008~2009 era.

I inserted few photos to help you guess which firmware i am running.

Basically i want to update this, set it up as best as it could get, play nds games, ability to use cheats, possibly save states?? And i am also interested in emulators. Mainly Gameboy color.
I also would love to play dsi games like asphalt. Please mind my ignorance guys, i spent many hours checking google, this forum and reddit. But i really don't want to brick or mess it up. There's overwhelming amount of guides and information to read. Also most up to date information is about r4 cards.

Attachments

• received_225154937120060.jpeg
    received_225154937120060.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20231110_125628_236.jpg
    IMG_20231110_125628_236.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20231110_125549_169.jpg
    IMG_20231110_125549_169.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i did, now i get boot error which says no system file found
Make sure you copy the files and folders INSIDE of "Autoboot\M3 DS Real, M3i Zero (non-GMP-Z003)" onto the root of your microSD card.

Update the kernel, or switch to YSMenu if it supports it.
YSMenu is very lackluster, I don't like the interface. And it can actually brick some carts.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YSMenu is very lackluster, I don't like the interface. And it can actually brick some carts.
Yeah sure, but it is an old cart, and if the kernel doesn't do it what choice does he/she has really?
My recommendation to him would be to get an Ace3ds+ clone cart, it's very cheap and gets the job done.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah sure, but it is an old cart, and if the kernel doesn't do it what choice does he/she has really?
My recommendation to him would be to get an Ace3ds+ clone cart, it's very cheap and gets the job done.
The Ace3DS+ does the job pretty well, even if you're not a fan of the Wood R4/AKAIO kernel, then you can switch to TWLMenu++ for better game compatibility.

Reactions: CoolMe

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
alright guys, i made it work, but i lost the cheats menu from previous setup. and what's better in twilight menu, ndsbootstrap or kernel?

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you install TWilightMenu on the cart you can play DS games & some of the DSiWare games (as not all are compatible), and you can use cheats too.
would you recommend twilightmenu or ysmenu? which one is better to use?
Post automatically merged:

Sorry guys if i am spamming the thread. I think i like ysmenu, it's simple and straight. But i would also like some extensive alternative to dual boot, run emulators, dsi titles ect.. can these be done just using ysmenu and downloading emulators separately? Or so i have to use twilight menu?

Would i lose anything by dropping off the stock sakura and pockettouch kernels that are stock to the m3?

What do these two do?
DMA and RESET?

Attachments

• IMG_20231110_184914_697.jpg
    IMG_20231110_184914_697.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 29
Last edited by RetrogamingAddict,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TWilightMenu is not a fw/kernel, i think you can use both of them if YSMENU allows TWilightmenu to work.
run emulators, dsi titles ect.. can these be done just using ysmenu and downloading emulators separately? Or so i have to use twilight menu?
Like i said if you want to play DSiWare games TWilightmenu is the only option you have. And it comes with some emulators, nes, snes etc. Just check the thread for more info about everything your asking that's i linked to it.
Would i lose anything by dropping off the stock sakura and pockettouch kernels that are stock to the m3?
You're already using Ysmenu right? Just save those files somewhere, so you can find them if you ever want to put it back.
As for your question, TWilightmenu alone is pretty solid and plays most of the ds games, so don't think you'll be missing anything..

Sanrasxz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you copy the files and folders INSIDE of "Autoboot\M3 DS Real, M3i Zero (non-GMP-Z003)" onto the root of your microSD card.

YSMenu only bricks carts if you don't know what you're doing and run it on an R4iTT clone.

Sorry guys if i am spamming the thread. I think i like ysmenu, it's simple and straight. But i would also like some extensive alternative to dual boot, run emulators, dsi titles ect.. can these be done just using ysmenu and downloading emulators separately? Or so i have to use twilight menu?

What do these two do?
DMA and RESET?
Reset is the soft reset in YSMenu. When you boot a game with reset option enabled, you can do L+R+A+B+X+Y to soft-reset back to the YSMenu interface.

TWilightMenu is not a fw/kernel, i think you can use both of them if YSMENU allows TWilightmenu to work.

While it's not a kernel, it can serve as one due to nds-bootstrap being built in. If you autoboot twlmenu, it essentially becomes your kernel.

Last edited by Sanrasxz,

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey bro you're from reddit right?
So i have made up my mind, i would like to dual boot ysmenu as primary and twlmenu as needed, would this combination be possible?

I have few questions left, are these options ever possible on ysmenu or using any other launcher?
-Save states ( there's save options but u am not what they mean or how they work)
-fast forward/slowdown ( i have seen slowdown in touchpod)

For now all is good. Thank you everyone for the help.

Sanrasxz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey bro you're from reddit right?
I am, yes.

So i have made up my mind, i would like to dual boot ysmenu as primary and twlmenu as needed, would this combination be possible?
Yes. Follow the instructions I sent you on Reddit for setting up YSMenu as your primary kernel. (Not dual-boot with Sakura)

Then go to the Installing TWiLight (Flashcard) page and follow installation steps 1-5: https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/installing-flashcard

Once you've done so, boot the cart normally, and you'll be in YSMenu. Then you can start BOOT.NDS to launch TWiLight Menu.

I have few questions left, are these options ever possible on ysmenu or using any other launcher?
-Save states ( there's save options but u am not what they mean or how they work)
-fast forward/slowdown ( i have seen slowdown in touchpod)

For now all is good. Thank you everyone for the help.

No, it's not. YSMenu is a very bare kernel that is as basic as it gets - it can load .nds ROMs, and that's about it.

Twilight's nds-bootstrap has an in-game menu that can be accessed via the L+Down+Select combo, but it can't do RTS or slowdown either.

On the M3, the only thing that can do RTS and slowdown is Sakura/Touchpod. However, it's highly unreliable and works in some games while not working in others.

Last edited by Sanrasxz,
  • Love
Reactions: RetrogamingAddict

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto