GameCube translations: overview, progress, and recruitment

What 2 games do you most want translated?

• Donkey Konga 3

• Kururin Squash!

• Giftopia

• Homeland

• Animal Crossing e+

• Nintendo Puzzle Collection

• The Legendary Quiz Championship

• Mr. Driller: Drill Land

Results are only viewable after voting.

NewGBAXL

Professional Helirin Pilot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed that many incredible GameCube games didn't have translations yet, so @betterdragon2 and I decided to start working on some, https://github.com/DOL-Translations, https://discord.gg/axzRyKtQJx
This is the current list of GameCube translations, not necessarily done by us.

New updates (3/7/24):
Our Lupin III translation is almost complete! We are in need of a translator to help finish up this final stretch, and afterwards we will proofread everything once more, get everything formatted right, fix some graphical glitches, maybe get some cut features in, who knows? Anyway if you'd be interested we'd love to have you :)

Second, I just published the repository for Shinseiki GPX Cyber Formula: Road to the Evolution, featuring support for both GameCube and PlayStation 2 versions! (The GCN version has some exclusive content + support for my personal favorite controller.) It is a racing game based off of the anime of the same name.

I also can't believe it's been 2 years now
🥲

Work-in-progress translations:
Animal Crossing e+ - 70%? (Cuyler)
Donkey Konga 3 - raw text is translated, textures have not yet been modified.
Dragon Drive: D-Masters Shot - Black Dragon King, in beta
Giftpia - preliminary work done
HomeLand - preliminary work done
Lupin III: Lost Treasure by the Sea - Chapters 1-5, 7 of 8 are translated + short OVA, need a new translator
Mr. Driller Drill Land - just started, expect basic menu patch soon
Shinseiki GPX Cyber Formula: Road to the Evolution - menu done
VaraNoir Academy: Roses - preliminary work done, + Black Dragon King

Completed translations:
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Shadowofchaos)
Kururin Squash! (DOL Translations)
Metal Gear Solid Special Disc (AfroJackX, hosted by us)
Naruto: Clash of Ninja 4 (Nicholas Moser)
Rune II (Black Dragon King, Louis, & EsperKnight)
Super Robot Wars GC (Super Robot Wars GC Team)
Taxi 3 (DOL Translations)
World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 - Final Evolution (ADONF)
Zatch Bell! Go! Go! Mamodo Fight!! (SuperrSonic & ZatchBellGamerX)
Zoids vs III (Traceytrace)

I want to help translate one of these, or a different GameCube game. What do I need to do?
Reply to this thread, or DM me, and let me know the game, and the file formats it uses for text and images if possible.

Helpful tools:
A Japanese text editor. It will turn the weird ASCII text into Japanese text.
A TPL editor, converter etc, whatever your preference. Switch Toolbox or BrawlBox is highly recommended.
gcr (GameCube Rebuilder), edit files in .iso's

Screenshots:
Kururin Squash!
1691421313038.png
1691421359409.png

1691421384414.png
1691421401947.png

Donkey Konga 3
GY3J01_2022-01-19_18-25-09.png
GY3J01_2022-01-19_18-26-50.png

Last edited by NewGBAXL,

betterdragon2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually just forked PeterLemons GC repo and refactored the entire project to be more modular and better suited for clone-to-build pick up and go type development.

Mainly working on HomeLand but the base is there for literally any game.

BttrDrgn/GCN-Translations on GitHub

Jakar31

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello, thanks for your work.

I'm looking for the translation of a game, do you know if this game is translated somewhere? it is the japanese version of lost kingdoms 2, but it is not exactly identical and it adds extra content.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 156

betterdragon2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, thanks for your work.

I'm looking for the translation of a game, do you know if this game is translated somewhere? it is the japanese version of lost kingdoms 2, but it is not exactly identical and it adds extra content.
I do not know if this has been started anywhere but I can add it to our list for gcn-translations!

mcfry666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can't seem to translate/build donkey konga 3 :( I always end up with 0kb size in the output
hash is correct
all the other games seem to work fine :)

NewGBAXL

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't seem to translate/build donkey konga 3 :( I always end up with 0kb size in the output
hash is correct
all the other games seem to work fine :)
Try using GCr to manually patch the files
Open iso, right click file in filesystem, replace file with one on the github
1685937568326.png

Reactions: mcfry666

mcfry666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Reactions: NewGBAXL

Seebug

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try using GCr to manually patch the files
Open iso, right click file in filesystem, replace file with one on the githubView attachment 375999
I did this but i actually ended up replacing every single file, I imported everything from the download, but now when I try to launch the game in my game cube it crashes. I’m running Swiss on my game cube, and it resets to the game. I have the exploit save for. Maybe I just download a fake ISO, but it was recognized properly. By the software you recommended/ and even my gamecube. The description of the game did look weird In swiss, but I assume this was from the Japanese text. Did we only need to replace that one file? The one highlighted in the image? If so, I believe this is my issue! Thanks so much!

Last edited by Seebug,

NewGBAXL

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did this but i actually ended up replacing every single file, I imported everything from the download, but now when I try to launch the game in my game cube it crashes. I’m running Swiss on my game cube, and it resets to the game. I have the exploit save for. Maybe I just download a fake ISO, but it was recognized properly. By the software you recommended/ and even my gamecube. The description of the game did look weird In swiss, but I assume this was from the Japanese text. Did we only need to replace that one file? The one highlighted in the image? If so, I believe this is my issue! Thanks so much!
There's been quite a bit of development since, I can't say for sure but there may be some faulty files in there.
Another individual has since taken up most of development, but they haven't had much time lately.
I'm going to try to put together a release soon-ish with what's done, in glorious xdelta format.
Raw text should be about done, but most textures have a weird encoding which for legal(?) reasons haven't been worked on yet. See: https://github.com/marco-calautti/Rainbow/issues/21

Just curious, would you be using Swiss, or Dolphin?
Because if you were using Dolphin then I could throw together a texture replacement (only works with Dolphin afaik) but if not then I'll just do the regular release.
Post automatically merged:

Donkey Konga 3 pre-release build is out now!
https://github.com/DOL-Translations/donkey-konga-3/releases/tag/r5

Warning: bananas may fall
Credits to SynthNerd for their continued work on the project :)

Future (planned) improvements include full English texture edit, finish up translating a few stray cutscenes & staff roll, English logo and boxart. Until then, remember that there's "only one thing worse than a bruised banana... a bruised butt" - Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong Country

Last edited by NewGBAXL,

mopphire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed that many incredible GameCube games didn't have translations yet, so @betterdragon2 and I decided to start working on some, https://github.com/DOL-Translations, https://discord.gg/axzRyKtQJx
This is the current list of GameCube translations, not necessarily done by us.

My Kururin Squash! translation is finished! The xdelta patch is hosted on this repository along with a Gecko Code to fix text formatting. The GBA Link Cable minigame has not been completed yet. The translation will continue to be maintained for the foreseeable future.

Current projects:
Animal Crossing e+ - 70%? (Cuyler)
Donkey Konga 3 - most raw text is translated. Textures have not yet been modified.
Giftpia - (BttrDrgn)
HomeLand - (BttrDrgn)
Lupin III: Lost Treasure by the Sea (various)
VaraNoir Academy: Roses

Completed projects:
Metal Gear Solid Special Disc (AfroJackX, hosted on this repository)
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Shadowofchaos)
Kururin Squash! (me, hosted on this repository)
Naruto: Clash of Ninja 4 (Nicholas Moser)
Super Robot Wars GC (Super Robot Wars GC Team)
Taxi 3 (me, hosted on this repository)
World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 - Final Evolution (ADONF)
Zatch Bell! Go! Go! Mamodo Fight!! (SuperrSonic & ZatchBellGamerX)
Zoids vs III (Traceytrace)

I want to help translate one of these, or a different GameCube game. What do I need to do?
Reply to this thread, or DM me, and let me know the game, and the file formats it uses for text and images if possible.

Helpful tools:
A Japanese text editor. It will turn the weird ASCII text into Japanese text.
A TPL editor, converter etc, whatever your preference. Switch Toolbox or BrawlBox is highly recommended.
gcr (GameCube Rebuilder), edit files in .iso's

Screenshots:
Kururin Squash!
View attachment 387044 View attachment 387045
View attachment 387046 View attachment 387047

Donkey Konga 3
View attachment 294936 View attachment 294937
can i have that kururin squash logo?

skx7

Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: NewGBAXL

NewGBAXL

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Mr. Driller: Drill Land remaster to modern platforms uses almost the same file structure as the GameCube version. However, each of the new files use a proprietary zip format that will need to be reverse engineered first.

After that, it will be unpack -> downscale -> import to .tpl -> pack to .iso/.gcm
A pretty straightforward process, just need to figure out the zip-like format first.

Also, as it is on modern platforms, highly recommend you support the devs and pick up an English copy :)
(After all it is where possibly some text-based images will maybe be inspired from)
First of all many congrats for an amazing translation job of Kururin. Truly amazing :D Just wondering, would the game Mr Driller technically be able to be translated in a similar way as it isn't mentioned in your ongoing translation projects?

Reactions: skx7

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1