CATSFC game compatibility

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Codename PUMA, May 12, 2014.

1. Codename PUMA
    OP

Codename PUMA Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2014
    So I bought a Supercard DSTWO for DS and GBA games. I’d heard there was a SNES emulator on it but it was kind of a ‘’bonus’’ to me. I guess what I figured was that - at most - I could just play Super Mario World and five other games on a bus and that’d be cool. So I got my Supercard and put a bunch of roms on there, and I was pretty friggin’ shocked at how many SNES games actually work on it. I’ve barely even given any time to the non-SNES emulators at this point. I guess my point is that I didn’t know just how many SNES games actually worked on it before actually really looking around on this forum, and screwing around with this these past few days was pretty fun and interesting. And if someone runs across this while searching on google and it helps them by any chance, then, good.

I’ve tried dozens of games so far, and will take requests. Some of these I’ve barely played, so if someone wants me to try a specific part of a game, I could be willing to try to get up to it (though I can’t promise that’ll be done quickly…or, at all if you want me to do something like get anywhere in Super Ghouls ‘n’ Ghosts). Haven’t tried too many RPGs yet; mainly because they typically take a lot of time, and can have varying mode-7 moments and whatever else. I have a dozen+ on the actual microSD and will play eventually. So, yeah, any requests would cool (including RPGs).

------------------------

Typical video & audio settings:

Aspect ratio - [4] Entire screen, smoothed
    Fast-Forward - Off
    Sound - On
    Fluidity - Prefer fluid video
    Frame Skipping [-] Keep up with the game
    Retro Sound - Off
    Game screen - Upper screen

(I'll mention when I mess with this stuff to get a game to work better. I've tried Show 1 in 2 frames for most of them.)
    --------------------------

Colour code for games:

Dark green– Worked perfectly, or had extremely minor video problem. Or just audio problems that didn’t affect gameplay. Totally playable so far.
    Light green– Definitely playable, but had some video oddities. Could include only one or two levels/specific part(s) of the game being laggy, or the general emulation not being 10000% smooth. The kind of thing you should really be able to ignore.
    Yellow– Problems that are constant and difficult to truly ignore, but the game still could be somewhat playable depending on the person playing. Others could be more bothered.
    Orange– Emulator ran it but it was unenjoyable to play.
    Red– Emulator wouldn’t load it, it crashes, etc.

Anything left in black I’m not really positive of yet, either because I want to try different parts of the game first, or any problem with the game felt like it might just be my own. Basically I’ve played the game but want to play more before deciding which colour it belongs in. Almost all of them could change, I guess. I’m writing what I see/hear next to it and will update it if I run across anything new.

------------------------------

Dark green
    Light green

Yellow

Orange

Red

Unsure yet

---------------------

Any requests?

migles, Tiffani, hippy dave and 3 others like this.

2. Aeter

Aeter A walking contradiction

Apr 1, 2009
    Netherlands
    The lands of nether
    You are awesome for doing all this testing.

3. Nebuleon

Nebuleon MAH BOI/GURL

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Letter A games

Quote my post then switch to BBcode editing to know how I did this :)

Aeter likes this.
  4. Codename PUMA
    OP

Newcomer
    May 7, 2014
    Ha, thanks. :) It's fun as hell trying all this out.

----
    Fixed an error (Wario's Woods didn't have its own line. I checked the bloody post like five times before making the thread and didn't see that).

EDIT - Oh, spoiler tags, thanks a lot for that. So I should make a separate spoiler tag to for each letter?

Aeter likes this.
  5. Aeter

Aeter A walking contradiction

Apr 1, 2009
    Netherlands
    The lands of nether
    Since you separated the games by playability, I suggest you spoiler them too that way and put them in alphabetic order afterwards.
    If it's not too much work.
    Again this is great and it's even better since you're enjoying yourself while doing this. Keep up the good work.

6. Codename PUMA
    OP

Newcomer
    May 7, 2014
    Done. :) Messed it up like five time and had duplicates of each colour (except an empty spoiler tag for each), but I finally got it right.

Aeter likes this.
  7. Codename PUMA
    OP

Newcomer
    May 7, 2014
    Adding:

Blackthorne
    Bugs Bunny: Rabbit Rampage - Music gets five times louder at certain points. I've looked up footage on youtube and there are people saying that emulation of this game - regardless of emulator - has audio problems, so I guess technically it's fine.
    Choplifter III
    Cybernator
    Desert Strike
    Doom Troopers - The yellow flash sprite thing when you shoot doesn't always show up.
    Firestriker
    Ghoul Patrol
    Micro Machines
    Micro Machines 2 - Annoying noise continuously during races. I think it's the engine sounds dragged on.
    Ninja Warriors
    Out to Lunch
    Pac-Attack
    Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures - Small ''freeze jump'' thing.
    Side Pocket
    Sparkster - Can be kind of jittery with too much movement. Screen went a little nuts when I mashed L/R on an enemy.
    Super Pang
    Tetris Battle Gaiden
    Umihara Kawase
    WCW SuperBrawl

Bio-Metal - The opening moments of the game with all of those clouds in the background was disorienting. I lasted as long as as I could but when dying I went back to the beginning and wasn't going to try that again.
    Stunt Race FX - Really slow, frame-skippy, seeming input lag, etc.

I've played EarthBound for a few more hours now, and I might not be near the end of the game or anything, but I'm comfortable putting it in the light green section now. It's continued to have some lag while more than a few things on screen are moving simultaneously, but is just really awesome to play. Makes me pine for a Mother 1 + 2 + 3 3DS compilation.

Also added a couple notes to Contra III, DKC and Bust-A-Move.

cvskid likes this.
  8. Codename PUMA
    OP

Newcomer
    May 7, 2014
    Adding:

Hagane
    Hebereke's Popoitto
    Jungle Strike
    Kendo Rage - Little shaky, and sounds didn't always show up.
    Knights of the Round
    Legend
    Metal Warriors
    Musya - Spear-spinning animation doesn't really spin.
    Super Aleste
    The Jungle Book - Flashed after getting hit.
    Wolfchild
    Ys III
    EDIT - Also Super Family Tennis.

Finished EarthBound, adding final notes on it, it’s staying in light green and was totally fantastic to play. Felt like it was made for a DS. Also adding more notes Final Fantasy VI.

9. Codename PUMA
    OP

Newcomer
    May 7, 2014
    Finished Final Fantasy VI, added a bunch of notes to it. Going in the yellow because it's extremely playable, but seemed maybe a little untrustworthy.

Going to try to see where all of these uncoloured ones should go soon, and start another RPG. Probably Dragon Quest V.

10. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    megaman x was laggy, it was playable but not smoth shouldn't this be in light green list?

11. Codename PUMA
    OP

Newcomer
    May 7, 2014
    The only real reason I didn't shove MMX in dark green was Launch Octopus' stage. I can't speak for anyone else but the rest of the game looked smooth while I was playing (other than stuff like some music and the fact the 3DS doesn't do the SNES darkness like the actual game). Truthfully I guess there was nothing in FFVI worse with lag than Launch Octopus' stage, but it was more frequent. I don't think I visited a single town that consistently ran as well as the other 7 MMX stages. Though, I put FFVI in yellow largely because of the freezing and stopping, even if it was infrequent. I couldn't imagine my 3DS not being thrown out of a window if I had no save states and had to do everything I did without regular in-game saving because the game stopped working. Any game that stops randomly while playing should kind of be ''disqualified'' from either green, I think. Like I said in the update I definitely don't want to deter people from playing it. But, yeah, it stopped where it did for me and I don't know where/if it might stop for someone else. Could be in mid-battle, during a cutscene, flying the ship....I'm not sure what triggered mine of just attempting to walk. I kind of feared when/if it would happen again while playing.

I wouldn't mind putting some footage up of some games in the future.

12. Quackington

Quackington Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2010
    Wow, Codename Puma - thanks so much for doing this.

Quick question: With this emulator, do you have to mess around with individual settings for each game? I remember using Snemul (I think that's what it's called) back in the day and having lots of complicated settings to mess around with. I'm hoping CATSFC is much easier to use.

13. Codename PUMA
    OP

Newcomer
    May 7, 2014
    The settings reset when you load a new game. E.g. I have to change the aspect ratio from "Entire screen" to "Entire Screen, Smoothed" for each game, but when loading that game again it stays on "Entire Screen, Smoothed." I've done this with dozens of games and hasn't really been a bother. I guess it depends on what settings you want.

14. Quackington

Quackington Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2010
    Thanks for the response. I meant more complicated setting such as messing around with layers, colours etc.

15. Meow-Meow

Meow-Meow Member

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2014
    United States
    This is so helpful for all the people who want to see what they can expect from the emulator, thanks so much!

16. Codename PUMA
    OP

Newcomer
    May 7, 2014
    Updates for uncoloured:

Casper – Played fine, but the music and almost all sounds disappeared after less than a minute. As far as I could tell only the transforming “pop” sound effect works. I flashed while being the cloth thing.
    F-Zero – OK, seemed better. Only changes I made were the aspect ratio (changing from entire screen to entire screen, smoothed). I’m pretty sure this works fine, but I felt like I had more control while using the 3DS D-pad instead of the circle pad. This’ll be in dark green unless others have tried it and think it should be moved.
    Sunset Riders
    The Lost Vikings

Still want to screw around w/ Wolfestein/Axelay/Pilotwings a little more.

I didn't play THAT much of some of the longer games here, but I'll post this update anyway.

Adding:
    Breath of Fire
    Breath of Fire II
    Chrono Trigger – Beat the game and did probably around half of NG+. Noticed tiny, tiny hiccups and one enemy that went black for a split second.
    Do-Re-Mi Fantasy –Very infrequent little freeze-thingys.
    Dragon Quest V
    Equinox
    Illusion of Gaia – Jumped a little, very infrequently. Slowed down a little sometimes on bosses.
    Live A Live– “Deluxe” English translation.
    Lufia II – Minor oddities in the 30-odd hours I played of it. There’s like a ‘bar’ of graphical glitchiness when battling. You should only typically notice it when a big spell is being cast, if you notice it at all. Oddly enough, the only text I found that screwed up in the entire game was after “The End” screen. Weird.
    Ogre Battle
    Tales of Phantasia – English translation. Only noticed tiny hiccups so far.
    Terranigma
    Ys V – English translation. Seems less smooth that a lot of other games. Not enough for me to put it in even light green, though.

Super Mario RPG – Looked OK for a couple of minutes but got really trippy soon after.

And considering I couldn’t even play it at all, I’ll move Super Family Tennis from orange to red.

17. Digitsie

Digitsie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2014
    United States
    Magic Knight Rayearth (latest english patch) doesn't load
    Wonder Boy J patched gets to naming screen then glitches
    Eurit prototype doesn't load
    Super Gussun Oyoyo 2 patched doesn't load

18. RetroVortex

RetroVortex GBAtemp Regular

Mar 10, 2008
    Just been trying random SNES roms.
    Here are my impressions:

2020 Baseball - Seems to run alright and pretty smooth.
    AAAHH!!! Real Monsters (E) - Again, runs fine so far. Music is a little dodgy. (I think it stops and starts randomly)
    7th Saga - Seems to work pretty well
    7th Saga 2 - Mystic Ark (J) (translated to English) - This one appears to work ok too.
    Adam's Family Values (E) - Game runs perfectly fine, though my ROM has a trainer attached to it so I didn't take any damage.
    Aero Fighters - Not sure how it's supposed to run, but seems to run fine but the bullets you fire don't seem to animate correctly.
    Aero the Acrobat - Runs pretty smooth. Music doesn't loop and suddenly stops.
    Aero the Acrobat 2 - Same thing.
    Alien Vs. Predator - Works great. (Game's not too great though. Especially compared to the Arcade Version)
    American Gladiators - Seems to run ok. (The game is pretty horrible though)
    An American Tail - Fievel Goes West - Played it a little. Seems to be fully working.
    Animaniacs - Seems to run fine.
    Arcana - Works fine on first impression. No obvious problems showing. (Game doesn't have much effects or animation so I couldn't see it having any problems)
    B.O.B - Works fine

(Will edit with more random ROMs sometime later)

cvskid likes this.
  19. Codename PUMA
    OP

Newcomer
    May 7, 2014
    Nice stuff, I'll try all of those out soon.

Also, I played some more BOF 2 for a bit and it wasn't too eye-appealing. I'll give it more play time but it might actually have to go in yellow. May shove Ys V in light green, too.

20. Digitsie

Digitsie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2014
    United States
    My main problem is I've only played them enough that they load and I get a few hours in then I just play something else. So I can only tell you what -didn't- load.

I'm a bit concerned with the Final Fantasy VI one, but I'm playing one of those 'hacked' versions that might or might not fix certain issues.

So far, these seem to load ok and play ok with that in mind:

English patched:
    Accele Brid (english patch)
    Aim for the Ace!
    Alcahest
    Ancient Magic
    Arabian Nights
    Arcana
    Armed Dragon Fantasy Villgust
    Assault Suits Valken
    Bahamut Lagoon
    Bastard!!
    Brandish 2
    Breath of Fire 2 (re-translation, btw.)
    Burning Heroes
    Burning Heroes
    Chaos Seed
    Chrono Trigger - Radical Dreamers
    Clock Tower (stutters a lot, but I get the impression that's the fault of the game itself.)
    Cyber Knight I
    Cyber Knight II
    Cyborg 009
    Dark Law
    Der Langrisser
    Do-Re-Mi Fantasy
    Dragon Quest I & II
    Dragon Quest III
    Dream Maze
    Dual Orb II
    Emerald Dragon
    Famicom Detective Club II
    Front Mission - Gun Hazard
    Gulliver Boy
    Gunman's Proof
    Holy Umbrella - Dondera's wild!
    Hourai High School
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
    Lenus II
    Little Magic
    Live a Live
    Lufia 1 & 2
    Madou Monogatari
    Magical Pop'n
    Magna Braban
    Megami Tensei - The Old Testament
    Metal Max Returns
    Metal Warriors
    Miracle Girls
    Monstania
    Mysterious Dungeon 2
    Neugier
    Panel de Pon
    Panic in Nakayoshi World
    Popeye - Tale of Teasing Sea Witch
    Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Another Story
    Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R
    Ranma 1/2
    Romancing SaGa
    Seiken Densetsu 3
    Shin Megami Tensei I & II
    Silva Saga II
    Slayers
    Space Knight Tekkaman Blade
    Star Fox 2 (naturally weird to begin with, but slow as hell)
    Super Fire Pro Wrestling - Queen's Special
    Super Robot Wars 3
    Super Ultra Baseball 2
    Tenchi Muyo!
    The Glory of Heracles III
    The Magical Land of Wozz
    Violinist of Hamln
    Treasure of the Rudras
    Umihara Kawase
    Ys III
    Ys IV
    Ys V