Hacking CATSFC game compatibility

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I bought a Supercard DSTWO for DS and GBA games. I’d heard there was a SNES emulator on it but it was kind of a ‘’bonus’’ to me. I guess what I figured was that - at most - I could just play Super Mario World and five other games on a bus and that’d be cool. So I got my Supercard and put a bunch of roms on there, and I was pretty friggin’ shocked at how many SNES games actually work on it. I’ve barely even given any time to the non-SNES emulators at this point. I guess my point is that I didn’t know just how many SNES games actually worked on it before actually really looking around on this forum, and screwing around with this these past few days was pretty fun and interesting. And if someone runs across this while searching on google and it helps them by any chance, then, good.

I’ve tried dozens of games so far, and will take requests. Some of these I’ve barely played, so if someone wants me to try a specific part of a game, I could be willing to try to get up to it (though I can’t promise that’ll be done quickly…or, at all if you want me to do something like get anywhere in Super Ghouls ‘n’ Ghosts). Haven’t tried too many RPGs yet; mainly because they typically take a lot of time, and can have varying mode-7 moments and whatever else. I have a dozen+ on the actual microSD and will play eventually. So, yeah, any requests would cool (including RPGs).

------------------------

Typical video & audio settings:

Aspect ratio - [4] Entire screen, smoothed
Fast-Forward - Off
Sound - On
Fluidity - Prefer fluid video
Frame Skipping [-] Keep up with the game
Retro Sound - Off
Game screen - Upper screen

(I'll mention when I mess with this stuff to get a game to work better. I've tried Show 1 in 2 frames for most of them.)
--------------------------

Colour code for games:

Dark green– Worked perfectly, or had extremely minor video problem. Or just audio problems that didn’t affect gameplay. Totally playable so far.
Light green– Definitely playable, but had some video oddities. Could include only one or two levels/specific part(s) of the game being laggy, or the general emulation not being 10000% smooth. The kind of thing you should really be able to ignore.
Yellow– Problems that are constant and difficult to truly ignore, but the game still could be somewhat playable depending on the person playing. Others could be more bothered.
Orange– Emulator ran it but it was unenjoyable to play.
Red– Emulator wouldn’t load it, it crashes, etc.

Anything left in black I’m not really positive of yet, either because I want to try different parts of the game first, or any problem with the game felt like it might just be my own. Basically I’ve played the game but want to play more before deciding which colour it belongs in. Almost all of them could change, I guess. I’m writing what I see/hear next to it and will update it if I run across anything new.

------------------------------

AAAHH!!! Real Monsters – Music, and some sounds (throwing sound in particular) disappeared in this one very specific spot in the first level.
ActRaiser
ActRaiser 2-Only thing I noticed was that you and your enemies are invisible for a second too long after being hit sometimes.
Addams Family Values
Aero Fighters – Little hard to see things flying at you, but I’m guessing that’s the small screen and not the emulation. RetroVortex mentioned your own fired bullets maybe not being animated correctly.
Aero the Acrobat – BGM gone after 30 or so seconds of entering a level.
Aero the Acrobat 2 – BGM gone almost immediately after entering a level.
Aladdin– Nothing worth a care. Aladdin maybe disappears for too long after getting hit.
Alcahest – English patch.
Alien 3– I had to compare this to footage on youtube because I thought it looked a little slower. Didn’t actually seem like it.
Alien vs. Predator
American Gladiators
An American Tail: Fievel Goes West – BGM maybe seemed a little jittery.
Animaniacs – Not purely smooth, but not bothersome.
Arcana
Assault Suits Valken – English patch.
Bastard!! English patch. Saw the mode 7/3D fighting game thing it had going and thought it was going to be a trainwreck. Looks to run perfectly.
Batman Returns
Battletoads & Double Dragon
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
Blackthorne
B.O.B. – Music slowed down while in the end-level swirl.
Brandish
Brandish 2 – English patch. Little slower on the opening cutscene, could be like for the rest of them.
Bubsy II
Bugs Bunny: Rabbit Rampage - Music gets five times louder at certain points. I've looked up footage on youtube and there are people saying that emulation of this game - regardless of emulator - has audio problems, so I guess technically it's fine.
Bust-A-Move - UPDATE - Missing title music.
Captain America & the Avengers
Captain Commando
Casper – Played fine, but the music and almost all sounds disappeared after less than a minute. As far as I could tell only the transforming “pop” sound effect works. I flashed while being the cloth thing.
Castlevania: Dracula X
Choplifter III
Chrono Trigger – Beat the game and did probably around half of NG+. Noticed tiny, tiny hiccups and one enemy that went black for a split second.
Choujikku Yousai Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie – (J) rom, not an English patch. It’s a side-scroller shooter so it’s probably not really necessary.
Clock Tower – English patch.
Contra III – Didn’t find a problem, even when expecting some in the top-down mode-7 section. Was playing Contra Spirits. UPDATE - Lags a sec when using a bomb.
Cyber Knight – English patch.
Cyber Knight II – English patch.
Cybernator
Cyborg 009 – English patch. Music might be inconsistently jumpy.
Dark Law English patch. No sound on title/menu, it looks like.
Desert Strike
Donkey Kong Country – Some rare, slow music (like the lose theme) but overall worked great. UPDATE - Enemy sprites went black when I jumped on them in the Go/Stop dark level.
Donkey Kong Country 2
Doom Troopers - The yellow flash sprite thing when you shoot doesn't always show up.
Do-Re-Mi Fantasy –Very infrequent little freeze-thingys.
Dragon Quest I & II – English patch.
Dragon Quest V
Dream Maze English patch.
Earthworm Jim – I loathe this game and was only able to stomach playing around two minutes of it. In those two minutes I noticed the game being very mildly laggy. Did look perfectly OK, even if not as smooth as it should.
Earthworm Jim 2– Bit of over-flashing when getting hit.
Emerald Dragon – English patch.
Equinox
E.V.O.: Search for Eden
F-Zero – OK, seemed better. Only changes I made were the aspect ratio (changing from entire screen to entire screen, smoothed). I’m pretty sure this works fine, but I felt like I had more control while using the 3DS D-pad instead of the circle pad. This’ll be in dark green unless others have tried it and think it should be moved.
Famicom Detective Club Part II English patch.
Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Final Fantasy V - English translation. Did a full 30-ish hour playthrough and saw only your usual hiccup that you'd have to look for to see.
Final Fight – Only noticed Cody’s quick punch animation was slower. I’m positive every hit counted, though. Worked great overall.
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3– Jumped once for half a second.
Final Fight Guy
Firestriker
Flashback– I couldn’t play for very long because I got stuck and the controls were rubbish (I was pressing left and it was sometimes jumping, etc), but I’ve heard the actual game is like that. Looked like a good emulation.
Ganbare Goemon 2 – Maybe not 100% smooth when there are a few things moving on screen at once.
Ghoul Patrol
Glory of Hercules III English patch (“Heracles no Eikou III”).
Goof Troop
Gunple Gunman’s Proof English patch. Protagonist sprite looks to go a little weird when charging a shot.
Hagane
Hebereke's Popoitto
Illusion of Gaia – Jumped a little, very infrequently. Slowed down a little sometimes on bosses.
International Superstar Soccer
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
Joe & Mac
Joe & Mac 2– Imperfect, if only for some slight video lag. Shouldn’t affect gameplay.
Jojo’s Bzarre Adventure – English patch (“Jojo no kimyou no bouken”).
Jungle Strike
Jurassic Park– Music sort of stutters.
Kendo Rage - Little shaky, and sounds didn't always show up.
Killer Instinct– EXTREMELY rare and minor hiccup in music. I only actually heard it when I was actively looking for problems. Other than that it seemed to be basically perfect.
Kirby’s Avalanche
Kirby’s Dream Course– Musically kind of weird but played OK.
Knights of the Round
Kuusou Kagaku Sekai Gulliver Boy – English patch.
Lemmings
Legend
Little Magic– English patch. No title music, but I can’t find a video that suggests the game actually has any.
Live A Live– “Deluxe” English translation. UPDATE - The save file kind of blew up on me. I was on the final boss of the ninja chapter and he literally had infinite health. I was having a bastard of a time beating him so I checked his HP online, and I thought "there's no way I haven't done that much." Got a calculator out and yeah, I went well past it. I fought him two more times, same thing. I almost tripled his HP in damage and he wouldn't die. I moved the save file to the wii (retroarch) and had the same thing. I had to get somebody else's save file to beat the game. This likely had nothing to do with CATSFC or anything so I'll leave this in dark green (the game ran perfectly AFAIR), but if it happens to anyone else I'll have to assume it is. UPDATE - I opened this up a few days ago and boss music was slow. Didn't hear that while in the playthrough.
Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
Lufia II – Minor oddities in the 30-odd hours I played of it. There’s like a ‘bar’ of graphical glitchiness when battling. You should only typically notice it when a big spell is being cast, if you notice it at all. Oddly enough, the only text I found that screwed up in the entire game was after “The End” screen. Weird.
UPDATE [LoganW] - "There was minor slowdown during the casting of a spell, the unreadable text at the end of the game that you noted, and the worst might have been the Submarine Shrine which had the tiles all messed up. You kind of just had to wander around. Thankfully you only have to walk forward for a couple of screens."
Madou Monogatari – English patch.
Magic Knight Rayearth – English patch. This worked for me really well. I only played a few minutes, though. Didn’t load for Digitsie; might have had a different patch than I do. Not sure if I’m allowed to be specific on patches (nor am I even sure I can find what patch is with the rom).
Magical Pop’n – English patch.
Magna Braban – English patch.
Mario’s Time Machine– Sounds sometimes extended; kind of made a screeching noise sometimes. Also sprites like the mushrooms while surfing kind of just go away. I think it’s like that in the actual game but it looked worse here.
Mario is Missing!– Same as Mario’s Time Machine. Sound can extend to hurt your ears.
Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems– Disappearing too much after getting hit. I accidentally hit reset on the touchscreen menu and the whole emulator seemed to crash. Nothing I pressed (including the touchscreen) worked other than the off button after that.
Megami Tensai: The Old Testament English patch (“Kyuuyaku Megami Tensai”).
Mega Man Soccer
Metal Warriors
Mickey Mania– Might have had like a millisecond of lag when those two giants balls on chains were swinging.
Micro Machines
Micro Machines 2 - Annoying noise continuously during races. I think it's the engine sounds dragged on.
Miracle Girls – English patch.
Monstania English patch.
Mortal Kombat II– Audios like the gong when you press start at the beginning can drag on for three times longer than they should have. Actual game was running well, though.
Musya - Spear-spinning animation doesn't really spin.
NBA Jam – Some audio seemed to stutter a little. Audience noise disappeared halfway through the game.
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
Neugier: Umi no Kazo no Kodou – English patch.
NHL ’94
Nightmare Busters
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy– Random tiny freeze jump thing, like in Final Fight 3.
Ninja Warriors
Ogre Battle
Out of this World
Out to Lunch
Pac-Attack
Paladin’s Quest – This is the first “Lennus” (Lennus II is above).
Phalanx
Plok! – Not *entirely* smooth.
Pocky & Rocky
Pocky & Rocky 2– Lag when there was too much going on on the screen, but it was really mild and barely noticeable. Worse lag happens on official physical copies of games played on a PS3.
Pop’n Twinbee
Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures - Small ''freeze jump'' thing.
Popeye: The Tale of Seahag the Wicked Witch – English patch “Popeye Ijiwaru Majo Seahag no Makki).
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Another Story – English patch.
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R – English patch.
Prince of Persia
Q*Bert 3
R-Type III
Ranma ½: Chougi Rambu Hen – Japanese rom (fighting game). Can’t put my finger on what, but it seems a little off to me. Could be persuaded to put it in light green if someone else plays it and thinks it should be there instead. Then again this probably isn’t a high-demand game for DS emulation.
Ranma ½: Hard Battle - Like the other Ranma game it doesn’t seem perfect but I can’t really name it’s imperfections.
Rock ‘n’ Roll Racing
Rockman & Forte
Samurai Showdown
Shadowrun
Shaq Fu– Rest well knowing Shaq Fu works just OK.
Shin Megami Tensei – English patch.
Shin Megami Tensei II – English patch.
Side Pocket
Silva Saga II – English patch. It think the music stutters a bit in the overworld.
Skyblazer
Slayers – English patch.
Soul Blazer - UPDATE - I had a bad time with he final boss. I won't move this to light green but I couldn't really stomach playing it. I might try it again and decide.
Sparkster - Can be kind of jittery with too much movement. Screen went a little nuts when I mashed L/R on an enemy.
Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Turbo– When I did a Hadouken it looked like it disappeared on and off when it shouldn’t have. That’s about it.
Sunset Riders
Super Adventure Island
Super Adventure Island II– Kinda lag-ish while the screen had a lot of water on it.
Super Aleste
Super Baseball 2020
Super Bomberman
Super Bomberman 2
Super Bomberman 3– Missing title and menu music.
Super Bomberman 4
Super Bomberman 5
Super Castlevania IV– Haven’t played the rotating room yet.
Super Double Dragon
Super Fire Pro-Wrestling– Menus looked kind of slow, probably because of moving background.
Super Ghouls & Ghosts– At most, minimal lag when too much is moving on screen. Another game I didn’t get to try very much of, though. Because it’s the devil.
Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World– Only tried All-Stars. Couple audio imperfections but the game is fine.
Super Mario World– Same as All-Stars; few audio things but nothing affecting gameplay.
Super Metroid– Not 5000% perfect, but whatever ‘’problems’’ there are wouldn’t even count as real problems. The most annoying is Samus disappearing on and off when taking too much damage from any enemy, and that isn’t even truly annoying.
Super Pang
Super Punch-Out!!
Super R-Type– Little bit of lag when too much was on screen.
Super Smash TV
Super Star Wars
Super Street Fighter II
Super Tennis
Super Turrican
Super Valis IV
Tales of Phantasia – English translation. Only noticed tiny hiccups so far.
Tetris & Dr. Mario
Tetris Battle Gaiden
The Addams Family
The Adventure of Hourai High School – English patch (“Hourai Gakuen no Bouken! Tenkousei Scramble”).
The Adventures of Batman & Robin– The “I’ve been hit” flashing looks like it lingers for longer than it should. Beating people up while invisible for a couple seconds is kind of great, though.
The Death and Return of Superman
The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie– Another game with that ‘‘sub-lag’’. Still smooth enough to play without complaint.
The Jungle Book - Flashed after getting hit.
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja– Maybe some slow music when talking to someone. Nothing worth any thought.
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past– Imperfect to only to someone who’s looking for problems. Might only be a small and extremely rare jump. 100% playable so far.
The Lion King
The Lost Vikings
The Lost Vikings II – Seemed great other than maybe the tiniest bit of lag.
The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse– Maybe slow-ish; not worth a care. Another game with more disappearing than normal after being hit.
Tiny Toons Adventures
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
TMNT: Tournament Fighters
Top Gear– Good enough to play, but not the easiest thing on the eyes. It's likely just the game itself on that small a screen.
Top Gear 2
Toy Story
Treasure of the Rudras – English patch (“Rudra no Hihou”).
Uchuu no Kishin Tekkaman Blade – English patch.
Umihara Kawase
UN Squadron
Wario’s Woods
WCW SuperBrawl
Wolfchild
World Heroes
Worms
WWF Raw
WWF Royal Rumble
Ys III
Zombies Ate My Neighbours– Hitboxes on items and neighbours seemed smaller than usual when I had the aspect ratio on ‘’entire screen’’ instead of ‘’entire screen, smoothed’’……probably my imagination. Game ran perfectly.
Yoshi’s Cookie
Zen-Nippon Pro-Wrestling– Weird glitchy screen thing at start up. Lasts like a second, though, game was fine.
Zen-Nippon Pro-Wrestling 2– Thought this was missing a health bar and battle music but it turns out the actual game doesn’t have it.
Aim for the Ace! – English patch (“Ace o Nerae”). I was actually considering this for dark green before looking up footage of the gameplay, so, yeah, looks good.
Art of Fighting– Something looked a little laggy about it. Not horribly obnoxious, anyway.
Bubsy – Maybe a little lag-like. The invincibility power up turned me entirely black other the red exclamation point on your shirt. Doesn’t normally happen, does it? Either way it looked AWESOME.
Cold Shadow– Little lag-like. Disappears too much after being hit.
Cool Spot– Was totally fine even if it didn’t look perfectly smooth. Too much disappearing after being hit.
Demon’s Crest– Not perfectly smooth but still good.
Donkey Kong Country 3– Could be smoother, but could be fifty times worse. Still felt fine even if it didn’t run as well as DKC1 or 2.
Dragon Ball Z: Super Butoden– Little wobbly when the screen has to move - the moving splitscreen isn't the prettiest thing to look at. Looked like it was missing some frames here and there.
Dual Orb II – English patch. Could be a little better, but seemed completely fine. Really the difference between this and the stuff in dark green is minimal.
EarthBound– So far it’s worked pretty terrifically. It can have a tiny bit of a hard time handling a ton of stuff on the screen, depending how much is on screen. Like, Burglin’ Park doesn’t run as well as a regular town area, and the house in Happy Happy with a billion cultist before Mr. Carpainter is slower. The moving background of battles can make it slow down a little, too. Still it’s mostly just the kind of small thing you look at and go ‘’I think I saw it slow down for a sec’’.
UPDATE – Finished the game. The lag when too many thing were on screen was still there (like, it was noticeably slower in the Dungeon Man cave with all of those Foppy enemies), but I didn’t notice any slow-down during the battles because of backgrounds. I mentioned above that the moving background can cause a problem or two, and I’m not sure why, but the rest of the game I didn’t see it once. Not on any of Giygas’ forms, nowhere. Guess it was a specific early-game thing. Anyway, game ran really, really, really well.
Firepower 2000– It was a little difficult to see small bullets coming at me when I was shooting a lot.
Gokujyo Parodius– Tiny bit slow on a level or two, though nothing drastic. The speed-like level was dizzying. Overall perfectly playable.
Gradius III– Lags where you might expect it to. Still, it’s fine. I’ve played this emulated on Wii and the lag during the sand dragons and the bubbles is worse there than it is on this. Some slow down on other parts. One thing I found was that when your ship is in line with all of its options, there’s a weird glitchy black line running through all of them. That was kind of distracting.
Harvest Moon– Screen kind of had trouble while scrolling in the town area. Was fine inside the houses, and walking around on the edge of the town when the screen doesn’t have to scroll was good too.
Holy Umbrella: Dondera no Mubo!! – English patch. Town seemed a bit laggy.
Lennus II – English patch. Lagged a bit, might be when there’s too many animate things on screen.
Mega Man X– Some music problems, and, ‘’different’’ music problems depending on what’s happening. E.g. Spark Mandrill’s theme won’t sound right while playing it in Options BGM test, but it doesn’t sound right in a different way when playing the actual level. Gameplay wise Launch Octopus’ stage seemed laggy. Should be at least somewhat playable if you’ve played it before and/or know the stage, though. Minor stuff otherwise like the Capcom logo not showing up at the game’s start. Rest of the game was fine.
Mega Man X2– Basically the same as X1. Whole game ran great other than the water level which has mild-ish lag. Hell, this runs better than X1; I didn’t hear any messed up audio. Haven’t tried the wireframe sword yet…I can pretty much assume that doesn’t look good.
Mega Man X3– Slightly off-ish, but not enough to ruin the game. I got to the boss of the most of the eight main levels without much hassle, and I don’t even like the game. Lagged HORRIBLY on the wireframe star cluster thing, though.
Mega Man VII– Just barely had some lag in certain areas. Nothing that should really affect what happens to you in the game.
Mystic Ark English patch. Could be a little smoother.
Panel de Pon – English patch (ocalised as Tetris Attack). Might actually be a little better than Tetris Attack, thought not perfect. I played through eight story battles and the one time I lost, only half of my blocks had the “surprise” face, so that’s was something.
Parodius da– Worked great except for slow down on the Viva Core boss. I had pretty much maximum power-ups during the battle so that probably didn’t help. Not terribly annoying, regardless.
Super Mario Kart– Time Trial was fine. GP was laggy and nauseating.
Super Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back– Tiny bit of stuttering, and I felt like the hit dictation on the hearts was a little off.
Super Turrican 2– Has that weird sub-lag thing going on. Driving speeds were hard to take in at first.
Terranigma– Boss of the Poisoned Tree place kind of lagged and had sprites disappearing. when the eyeball or whatever would shoot at you wouldn't see some of the projectiles. I gave up on this because it was uncomfortable for me to control on DS and moved it over to the wii, but it ran well otherwise.
Tetris Attack– Slower than normal. Given what type of game it is, it’s more of a distraction than a killer. Someone else might be more bothered, but I played a few games without giving it much attention.
The Magical Land of Wozz English patch (“Chou Mahou Tairiku Wozz”). Wasn’t *great* outside of battle. Didn’t seem to be like that too much, I guess.
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3– Better than MK3; more smooth, and just more playable in general. Audio can be kind of rubbish, though.
WWF WrestleMania– Some stuttering audio. Video might not be perfect, kind of has that ‘’almost lag’’ feel to it at times. Still good.
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse– Tiniest bit of lag on Wolverine’s stage (sirens going off and stuff), and in one or two situations where a lot was on screen.
Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel– Little shaky, and has the damage-disappearing thing. I think the item hit detection was a little off. I jumped past this ice cream cone like 4 times before actually picking it up. The stage music also disappeared after a few seconds.

Dragon Ball Z: Super Butoden 2– Weird, and, it felt like there might be a small bit of input lag sometimes. The split screen moving from side to side was much more dizzying than in Super Butoden 1.
Dragon Ball Z: Super Butoden 3– Kind of like Super Butoden 2, but not as bad. Feels like it might be slower, though.
Final Fantasy VI – English translation of the Japanese game. Moved a save file from a Wii emulator over; starting from the floating continent (still on it). It seems to have to skip some frames to keep up a decent speed. It’s hard to describe what it’s like playing, it’s kind of laggy but not in a horribly obnoxious way. Some things are slow (like the hand arrow that’s supposed to flash quickly when you’re choosing to attack every enemy on screen), but they’re things not worth caring much about. Honestly considering it isn’t a platformer, or shooter - or really any type of game you need hugely quick, reactive motions for – it’s been good enough to play so far. Actually it’s kind of cool because when walking in an overworld it kind of looks like you’re sliding around instead of taking steps.
UPDATE – Biiiit odd. I mean it’s worked pretty fine so far but it’s inconsistent. I said that I slid around in the overworld, and that was true, but seems not actually be true on a regular overworld (I was on the Floating Continent). The regular overworld walking looked really good and nothing has lagged around. Hell after putting on dash shoes, I was sliding around a bit in TOWNS instead of the overworld. Controls can fluctuate, and it seems to be dependant on aspect ratio. On Entire screen, smoothed [4] the controls seemed to kinda suck a little. Imprecise menu movements and slippery walking. I thought it was because I was using a 3DS, and that might have been part of it, but I used the 3DS D-pad as well and that didn’t feel right either. Then I changed the aspect ratio to entire screen [0] and it definitely felt better to me. But the writing was kind of screwed up, so I tried middle, square pixels [3] and that looks to be doing the trick. Controlling fine. The aspect ratio being ‘’middle’’ cuts off no text or anything important in general so yeah, that’s looking like the best setting. Also I did some running around with a Chocobo in mode7 and that ran fine.
UPDATE - OK, this was back and forth. It worked mostly great, but there were honestly times where it didn't work at all. Well, not really, but there were two, maybe three times where the game kind of shut down. It wasn't a big explody problem with glitchy crap everywhere; the screen just kind of went black. I remember being in the cultist's tower and the sprite of Terra disappeared. Then I entered a battle (with an invisible Terra) and, yeah, the screen just went black. Emulator touch screen still worked, though. I'm pretty sure every time that happened I was in the cultist's tower so that, for whatever reason, might have been the problem. There were other things. Sometimes an attack name (etc) on the top of the screen would display big, weird red text that went outside the text box and just didn't look right at all. And there were a few times where I'd select a battle command and the game would seemingly freeze for two seconds before being perfect again. The translation rom I have is like a decade old or something so that might be a problem. I kind of want to play American FFIIII sometime to see how that is. I don't want to turn anybody off from playing this, because it was a blast to play and ran much more smooth than I possibly thought it would before buying a Supercard (even fast-forwarding flying around waiting from Death Gaze was really smooth), but if you really want to play this over FFVIAdvance w/TempGBA, you should probably make sure to create a save state after you do something important. And, one more note - I said that ''middle, square pixels'' doesn't cut anything off. Well, it does. Not much, but if you fly around too long looking for Thamasa and can't find it (like myself), change the aspect ratio so you can see the whole map.
Metal Max Returns – English patch. Kind of slow and laggy. Could probably be the absolute worst in the light green instead of being yellow, but I’ll shove it here.
Mortal Kombat – Didn’t seem right. Audio was off in menus and select screen but that’s the least problem. Gameplay was kind of choppy-ish. Realistically I could play this but there were noticeable oddities.
Street Fighter Alpha II– Slightly choppy. Tried to screw around with the aspect ratio but that just made it awfully slow. I played through 8 fights in arcade mode without losing and I’d never played this before, so it should be good enough to play overall.
Violinist of Hamlen English patch (“Hameln no Violin Hiki”). Think enemies flashed too much. Wasn’t too comfortable with this overall. Felt too laggy to give it a green. Though, not unplayable.

3rd Super Robot Wars – English patch (“Dai-3-ji Super Robot Taisen”). Everything was extremely laggy, bar maybe text movement.
Bio-Metal- The opening moments of the game with all of those clouds in the background was disorienting. I lasted as long as I could but when dying I went back to the beginning and wasn't going to try that again.
DOOM – Unplayable. Way too slow and it lags.
Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension– Felt like crap. Technically I could still play to some degree, but it was choppy and really slow.
Ganbare Goemon 3- Too slow.
Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius– Way, way, too slow.
Kirby’s Dream Land 3– Too slow.
Kirby Super Star– Kind of, sort of, maybe playable-ish if you mess with the framerate options, but too slow to enjoy.
Mortal Kombat III – Sort of like MKI, but worse. I could play a little but it wasn’t comfortable.
Mysteruious Dundgeon 2: Shiren the Wanderer – English patch (Fushigi no Dungeon 2: Fuurai no Shiren” – unreleased outside of Japan until a DS remake which got the localised title of “Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer,” so I guess the fan translator improvised). Really laggy when you’re moving. Someone else might think it should go in yellow....maybe.
Star Fox– Slow and lag-ridden.
Stunt Race FX - Really slow, frame-skippy, seeming input lag, etc.
Super Gussun Oyoyo 2 English patch. Slow, awful, barely functional. Looks like a badly moving set of photographs instead of video.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island – Frustrating, because it’s kind of *just* slow enough that it’s annoying to play. The world map looked fine.
Super Mario RPG Looked OK for a couple of minutes but got really trippy soon after.
Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi– Flying section at the beginning was nauseating. Couldn’t get past it.
Top Gear 3000– Flashed weird coloured pixel patches everywhere. Not convinced the game wouldn’t have crashed if I kept going.
Uniracers– Slow, weird….unnerving. Closest thing to a fever dream I can remember.

Accele Brid – English patch. Froze when I got control of the actual shooting part.
Eurit [prototype] – Couldn’t even get it to load.
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest– Towns (and only towns) lagged disgustingly bad, and then the game randomly crashed the entire emulator at one point. I'll move this over to the wii to see if it's a bad rom or something. U[DATE - Went through most of the game on Wii; definitely wasn't the rom.
Super Family Tennis – No matter what aspect ratio I set it to, the beginning screen was shifted way downward. Then in the menu I tried touching the touch screen (to get to the aspect ratio again) and it stopped the entire emulator. Couldn't do anything and had to turn the DS off.
Wonder Project J: Kikai no Shonen Pino English patch. Text becomes a series of patchy blobs after a few words. Well, the text that you get to see, anyway. Game freezes (other than music) upon being able to choose a name.

Axelay– Laggy and kind of hard to play without getting distracted by the background. Seemed like I got hit with bullets that I didn’t see coming, too. I think someone who’s familiar with this could play it but a novice like me would be more uncomfortable. I still want to try the side-scrolling parts, though.
Pilotwings– I couldn’t realllly control the game properly, probably because I’ve never played it before. I’m guessing it plays fine and I just sucked.
Wolfenstein 3D– Controls were uncomfortable so I didn’t play that long. For what it was, though, it felt like it was emulating pretty well.
Ys V– English translation. Seems less smooth that a lot of other games. Not enough for me to put it in even light green, though. UPDATE - could go in light green, I'll try playing it again sometime.

---------------------

Any requests?

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ha, thanks. :) It's fun as hell trying all this out.

----
Fixed an error (Wario's Woods didn't have its own line. I checked the bloody post like five times before making the thread and didn't see that).

EDIT - Oh, spoiler tags, thanks a lot for that. So I should make a separate spoiler tag to for each letter?

Reactions: Aeter

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Since you separated the games by playability, I suggest you spoiler them too that way and put them in alphabetic order afterwards.
If it's not too much work.
Again this is great and it's even better since you're enjoying yourself while doing this. Keep up the good work.

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Done. :) Messed it up like five time and had duplicates of each colour (except an empty spoiler tag for each), but I finally got it right.

Reactions: Aeter

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Adding:

Blackthorne
Bugs Bunny: Rabbit Rampage - Music gets five times louder at certain points. I've looked up footage on youtube and there are people saying that emulation of this game - regardless of emulator - has audio problems, so I guess technically it's fine.
Choplifter III
Cybernator
Desert Strike
Doom Troopers - The yellow flash sprite thing when you shoot doesn't always show up.
Firestriker
Ghoul Patrol
Micro Machines
Micro Machines 2 - Annoying noise continuously during races. I think it's the engine sounds dragged on.
Ninja Warriors
Out to Lunch
Pac-Attack
Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures - Small ''freeze jump'' thing.
Side Pocket
Sparkster - Can be kind of jittery with too much movement. Screen went a little nuts when I mashed L/R on an enemy.
Super Pang
Tetris Battle Gaiden
Umihara Kawase
WCW SuperBrawl

Bio-Metal - The opening moments of the game with all of those clouds in the background was disorienting. I lasted as long as as I could but when dying I went back to the beginning and wasn't going to try that again.
Stunt Race FX - Really slow, frame-skippy, seeming input lag, etc.

I've played EarthBound for a few more hours now, and I might not be near the end of the game or anything, but I'm comfortable putting it in the light green section now. It's continued to have some lag while more than a few things on screen are moving simultaneously, but is just really awesome to play. Makes me pine for a Mother 1 + 2 + 3 3DS compilation.

Also added a couple notes to Contra III, DKC and Bust-A-Move.

Reactions: cvskid

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Adding:

Hagane
Hebereke's Popoitto
Jungle Strike
Kendo Rage - Little shaky, and sounds didn't always show up.
Knights of the Round
Legend
Metal Warriors
Musya - Spear-spinning animation doesn't really spin.
Super Aleste
The Jungle Book - Flashed after getting hit.
Wolfchild
Ys III
EDIT - Also Super Family Tennis.

Finished EarthBound, adding final notes on it, it’s staying in light green and was totally fantastic to play. Felt like it was made for a DS. Also adding more notes Final Fantasy VI.

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finished Final Fantasy VI, added a bunch of notes to it. Going in the yellow because it's extremely playable, but seemed maybe a little untrustworthy.

Going to try to see where all of these uncoloured ones should go soon, and start another RPG. Probably Dragon Quest V.

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The only real reason I didn't shove MMX in dark green was Launch Octopus' stage. I can't speak for anyone else but the rest of the game looked smooth while I was playing (other than stuff like some music and the fact the 3DS doesn't do the SNES darkness like the actual game). Truthfully I guess there was nothing in FFVI worse with lag than Launch Octopus' stage, but it was more frequent. I don't think I visited a single town that consistently ran as well as the other 7 MMX stages. Though, I put FFVI in yellow largely because of the freezing and stopping, even if it was infrequent. I couldn't imagine my 3DS not being thrown out of a window if I had no save states and had to do everything I did without regular in-game saving because the game stopped working. Any game that stops randomly while playing should kind of be ''disqualified'' from either green, I think. Like I said in the update I definitely don't want to deter people from playing it. But, yeah, it stopped where it did for me and I don't know where/if it might stop for someone else. Could be in mid-battle, during a cutscene, flying the ship....I'm not sure what triggered mine of just attempting to walk. I kind of feared when/if it would happen again while playing.

I wouldn't mind putting some footage up of some games in the future.

Quackington

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, Codename Puma - thanks so much for doing this.

Quick question: With this emulator, do you have to mess around with individual settings for each game? I remember using Snemul (I think that's what it's called) back in the day and having lots of complicated settings to mess around with. I'm hoping CATSFC is much easier to use.

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The settings reset when you load a new game. E.g. I have to change the aspect ratio from "Entire screen" to "Entire Screen, Smoothed" for each game, but when loading that game again it stays on "Entire Screen, Smoothed." I've done this with dozens of games and hasn't really been a bother. I guess it depends on what settings you want.

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Updates for uncoloured:

Casper – Played fine, but the music and almost all sounds disappeared after less than a minute. As far as I could tell only the transforming “pop” sound effect works. I flashed while being the cloth thing.
F-Zero – OK, seemed better. Only changes I made were the aspect ratio (changing from entire screen to entire screen, smoothed). I’m pretty sure this works fine, but I felt like I had more control while using the 3DS D-pad instead of the circle pad. This’ll be in dark green unless others have tried it and think it should be moved.
Sunset Riders
The Lost Vikings

Still want to screw around w/ Wolfestein/Axelay/Pilotwings a little more.

I didn't play THAT much of some of the longer games here, but I'll post this update anyway.

Adding:
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Chrono Trigger – Beat the game and did probably around half of NG+. Noticed tiny, tiny hiccups and one enemy that went black for a split second.
Do-Re-Mi Fantasy –Very infrequent little freeze-thingys.
Dragon Quest V
Equinox
Illusion of Gaia – Jumped a little, very infrequently. Slowed down a little sometimes on bosses.
Live A Live– “Deluxe” English translation.
Lufia II – Minor oddities in the 30-odd hours I played of it. There’s like a ‘bar’ of graphical glitchiness when battling. You should only typically notice it when a big spell is being cast, if you notice it at all. Oddly enough, the only text I found that screwed up in the entire game was after “The End” screen. Weird.
Ogre Battle
Tales of Phantasia – English translation. Only noticed tiny hiccups so far.
Terranigma
Ys V – English translation. Seems less smooth that a lot of other games. Not enough for me to put it in even light green, though.

Super Mario RPG – Looked OK for a couple of minutes but got really trippy soon after.

And considering I couldn’t even play it at all, I’ll move Super Family Tennis from orange to red.

Digitsie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magic Knight Rayearth (latest english patch) doesn't load
Wonder Boy J patched gets to naming screen then glitches
Eurit prototype doesn't load
Super Gussun Oyoyo 2 patched doesn't load

RetroVortex

Trophies
XP
Country
Just been trying random SNES roms.
Here are my impressions:

2020 Baseball - Seems to run alright and pretty smooth.
AAAHH!!! Real Monsters (E) - Again, runs fine so far. Music is a little dodgy. (I think it stops and starts randomly)
7th Saga - Seems to work pretty well
7th Saga 2 - Mystic Ark (J) (translated to English) - This one appears to work ok too.
Adam's Family Values (E) - Game runs perfectly fine, though my ROM has a trainer attached to it so I didn't take any damage.
Aero Fighters - Not sure how it's supposed to run, but seems to run fine but the bullets you fire don't seem to animate correctly.
Aero the Acrobat - Runs pretty smooth. Music doesn't loop and suddenly stops.
Aero the Acrobat 2 - Same thing.
Alien Vs. Predator - Works great. (Game's not too great though. Especially compared to the Arcade Version)
American Gladiators - Seems to run ok. (The game is pretty horrible though)
An American Tail - Fievel Goes West - Played it a little. Seems to be fully working.
Animaniacs - Seems to run fine.
Arcana - Works fine on first impression. No obvious problems showing. (Game doesn't have much effects or animation so I couldn't see it having any problems)
B.O.B - Works fine

(Will edit with more random ROMs sometime later)

Reactions: cvskid

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice stuff, I'll try all of those out soon.

Also, I played some more BOF 2 for a bit and it wasn't too eye-appealing. I'll give it more play time but it might actually have to go in yellow. May shove Ys V in light green, too.

Digitsie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My main problem is I've only played them enough that they load and I get a few hours in then I just play something else. So I can only tell you what -didn't- load.

I'm a bit concerned with the Final Fantasy VI one, but I'm playing one of those 'hacked' versions that might or might not fix certain issues.

So far, these seem to load ok and play ok with that in mind:

English patched:
Accele Brid (english patch)
Aim for the Ace!
Alcahest
Ancient Magic
Arabian Nights
Arcana
Armed Dragon Fantasy Villgust
Assault Suits Valken
Bahamut Lagoon
Bastard!!
Brandish 2
Breath of Fire 2 (re-translation, btw.)
Burning Heroes
Burning Heroes
Chaos Seed
Chrono Trigger - Radical Dreamers
Clock Tower (stutters a lot, but I get the impression that's the fault of the game itself.)
Cyber Knight I
Cyber Knight II
Cyborg 009
Dark Law
Der Langrisser
Do-Re-Mi Fantasy
Dragon Quest I & II
Dragon Quest III
Dream Maze
Dual Orb II
Emerald Dragon
Famicom Detective Club II
Front Mission - Gun Hazard
Gulliver Boy
Gunman's Proof
Holy Umbrella - Dondera's wild!
Hourai High School
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Lenus II
Little Magic
Live a Live
Lufia 1 & 2
Madou Monogatari
Magical Pop'n
Magna Braban
Megami Tensei - The Old Testament
Metal Max Returns
Metal Warriors
Miracle Girls
Monstania
Mysterious Dungeon 2
Neugier
Panel de Pon
Panic in Nakayoshi World
Popeye - Tale of Teasing Sea Witch
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Another Story
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R
Ranma 1/2
Romancing SaGa
Seiken Densetsu 3
Shin Megami Tensei I & II
Silva Saga II
Slayers
Space Knight Tekkaman Blade
Star Fox 2 (naturally weird to begin with, but slow as hell)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling - Queen's Special
Super Robot Wars 3
Super Ultra Baseball 2
Tenchi Muyo!
The Glory of Heracles III
The Magical Land of Wozz
Violinist of Hamln
Treasure of the Rudras
Umihara Kawase
Ys III
Ys IV
Ys V

Prototypes:
Buck Rogers
Nightmare Busters
Uniracers

Regular:
Macross - Scrambled Valkyrie
Uncharted Waters
Uncharted Waters - New Horizons
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...