Final Fantasy VIII Remastered now has a release date

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 20, 2019.

Front-page

It's been over 20 years since Final Fantasy VIII released on the PlayStation 1, becoming a classic JRPG to many. To the surprise of many, especially due to the commonly thought theory that the original source code had been lost, Square Enix announced a complete remaster of FFVIII for modern platforms. As the trend appears to be, a game is announced at E3, and the release date is given at Gamescom, and this game is no different. Today, Square Enix revealed the planned launch date for Final Fantasy VIII Remastered, which is September 3rd. You'll be able to pick up the game for $19.99 on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch, with the new version bringing with it improvements such as turning off encounters, a 3x speedup, and giving yourself max HP/ATB. For the PC version, players will get a few extra cheats, which give you all items, cards, guardian force, gil, magic, special skills, and cards.

MarkDarkness, NoNAND, Red771 and 14 others like this.
    Discussion (68 replies)
  1. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    You said cards twice, haha. But nice to see VIII getting some remastered love.

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    A lot sooner than I expected :P

3. Treflex

Treflex GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    New Jersey, USA
    eff yeahh!!!!!

4. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Yet the game will be released in "Episodes". I have it in my PSP so I am not buying the cash grab.

pustal and StrayGuitarist like this.
  5. chrisrlink
    This message by chrisrlink has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 20, 2019, Reason: Requested.
    Aug 20, 2019
  6. chrisrlink
    This message by chrisrlink has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 20, 2019, Reason: Requested.
    Aug 20, 2019
  7. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I need to hurry up and beat vii and ix. I'm at the last stage in vii and the last boss in ix. I've been looking forward to final fantasy viii.

8. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    You're thinking of FFVII, not FFVIII, so no it won't

9. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Well, the price is certainly fair, but if those are the remastered graphics in the trailer, it doesn't look much better than the version that's already on Steam.

Fugelmir and Techjunky90 like this.
  10. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Did you see the models though? They used the Dissidia models and/or were made from scratch, you can't get those to look that good on the Steam port. https://gonintendo.com/stories/3372...remastered-s-new-features-detailed-comparison

SMH

Xzi likes this.
  11. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I was pretty impressed with the final fantasy vii remastered. not so much with final fantasy ix... I have x and xii as well, but I've only played about three hours of x, and I haven't even opened xii.

12. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Fair enough, it's hard to see the improvements in the trailer clearly with so many quick cuts and so much footage from cutscenes. The Steam version looks quite a bit better than those PSX screens, but even a ~25% improvement in texture sharpness/resolution is a welcome addition I suppose.

A bit of a discount would be a nice incentive for people who already own FF8 on Steam, but being Square-Enix and all, I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by Xzi, Aug 20, 2019
  13. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    $20 is not that bad of a price, and it will include the real soundtrack and not the garbage one the Steam version got, which forced people to mod it.

Xzi likes this.
  14. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It's not bad, no, but I'd only be hoping for maybe a 10-15% discount at most.

15. DarkCoffe64

DarkCoffe64 Bo

Mar 30, 2011
    Italy
    Arcadia
    FF8 was my very first FF.
    I still remember watching my big bro play the game, eh.
    The gunblade is the coolest weapon evah.

aMp and Xzi like this.
  16. tabnk

tabnk GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2016
    United States
    Eyes on Me! :)

17. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I think everyone can remba the ff8 intro especially the sound of it square were gods during the ps1 era - everyone play it now guarantee youl get goosebumps :D

18. iamatmylimit

iamatmylimit GBAtemp Regular

Jul 17, 2010
    United States
    usa
    really excited for this one. really liked the card game and junction system.

19. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    My mistake then.

Honesty I wouldn't call cheating to be an improvement.

Remember when we used to complain about hand holding in modern games? This goes beyond that.

Just look at what Nintendo did with Mario Kart.

At that point, why even play the game? You can just watch a video of someone else playing the game and saving you the cost of buying it.

Remember when people used to complain about Easy mode? PLEASE Bring back easy mode, at least is not outright cheating!

Last edited by raxadian, Aug 20, 2019
    Red771 and Fugelmir like this.
  20. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    IDK @Chary. To me, the main improvement is a total graphics overhaul. It seems like, by some of the comments I see here, people still don't get that.

Also, you made me read too much just to find out that it was RELEASING SEPTEMBER 3RD.

Last edited by tabzer, Aug 20, 2019
  21. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Looks like a half ass remaster. Remasters should meet modern standards. Doesn't surprise me though, Square Enix hasn't released a good Final Fantasy in two decades.

22. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    It's more or less an accessibility improvement, both with Final Fantasy and Mario Kart. Would you believe that the whole "auto-steering" thing is there for people with motor disabilities who wouldn't be able to enjoy the game otherwise? Or that FF having frameskip/no-encounter modifiers takes away a lot of frustration from some of the more annoying and backtrack-heavy dungeons? Unlike hand-holding, all of those are completely optional, and you can pretty much ignore them if you're enough of a purist, so I don't even see how it's a huge problem.

Red771 and Dani Dandelion like this.