Final Fantasy VIII Remastered now has a release date

It's been over 20 years since Final Fantasy VIII released on the PlayStation 1, becoming a classic JRPG to many. To the surprise of many, especially due to the commonly thought theory that the original source code had been lost, Square Enix announced a complete remaster of FFVIII for modern platforms. As the trend appears to be, a game is announced at E3, and the release date is given at Gamescom, and this game is no different. Today, Square Enix revealed the planned launch date for Final Fantasy VIII Remastered, which is September 3rd. You'll be able to pick up the game for $19.99 on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch, with the new version bringing with it improvements such as turning off encounters, a 3x speedup, and giving yourself max HP/ATB. For the PC version, players will get a few extra cheats, which give you all items, cards, guardian force, gil, magic, special skills, and cards.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to hurry up and beat vii and ix. I'm at the last stage in vii and the last boss in ix. I've been looking forward to final fantasy viii.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Xzi

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was pretty impressed with the final fantasy vii remastered. not so much with final fantasy ix... I have x and xii as well, but I've only played about three hours of x, and I haven't even opened xii.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Did you see the models though? They used the Dissidia models and/or were made from scratch, you can't get those to look that good on the Steam port. https://gonintendo.com/stories/3372...remastered-s-new-features-detailed-comparison

SMH
Fair enough, it's hard to see the improvements in the trailer clearly with so many quick cuts and so much footage from cutscenes. The Steam version looks quite a bit better than those PSX screens, but even a ~25% improvement in texture sharpness/resolution is a welcome addition I suppose.

A bit of a discount would be a nice incentive for people who already own FF8 on Steam, but being Square-Enix and all, I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by Xzi,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough, it's hard to see the improvements in the trailer clearly with so many quick cuts and so much footage from cutscenes. The Steam version looks quite a bit better than those PSX screens, but even a ~25% improvement in texture sharpness/resolution is a welcome addition I suppose.

A bit of a discount would be a nice incentive for people who already own FF8 on Steam, but being Square-Enix and all, I'm not holding my breath.

$20 is not that bad of a price, and it will include the real soundtrack and not the garbage one the Steam version got, which forced people to mod it.

Reactions: Xzi

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think everyone can remba the ff8 intro especially the sound of it square were gods during the ps1 era - everyone play it now guarantee youl get goosebumps :D

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You're thinking of FFVII, not FFVIII, so no it won't

My mistake then.

with the new version bringing with it improvements such as turning off encounters, a 3x speedup, and giving yourself max HP/ATB. For the PC version, players will get a few extra cheats, which give you all items, cards, guardian force, gil, magic, special skills, and cards.

Honesty I wouldn't call cheating to be an improvement.

Remember when we used to complain about hand holding in modern games? This goes beyond that.

Just look at what Nintendo did with Mario Kart.

At that point, why even play the game? You can just watch a video of someone else playing the game and saving you the cost of buying it.

Remember when people used to complain about Easy mode? PLEASE Bring back easy mode, at least is not outright cheating!

Last edited by raxadian,
Reactions: Red771 and Fugelmir

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You'll be able to pick up the game for $19.99 on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch, with the new version bringing with it improvements such as turning off encounters, a 3x speedup, and giving yourself max HP/ATB. For the PC version, players will get a few extra cheats, which give you all items, cards, guardian force, gil, magic, special skills, and cards.
IDK @Chary. To me, the main improvement is a total graphics overhaul. It seems like, by some of the comments I see here, people still don't get that.

Also, you made me read too much just to find out that it was RELEASING SEPTEMBER 3RD.

Last edited by tabzer,

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like a half ass remaster. Remasters should meet modern standards. Doesn't surprise me though, Square Enix hasn't released a good Final Fantasy in two decades.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
My mistake then.

Honesty I wouldn't call cheating to be an improvement.

Remember when we used to complain about hand holding in modern games? This goes beyond that.

Just look at what Nintendo did with Mario Kart.

At that point, why even play the game? You can just watch a video of someone else playing the game and saving you the cost of buying it.

Remember when people used to complain about Easy mode? PLEASE Bring back easy mode, at least is not outright cheating!

It's more or less an accessibility improvement, both with Final Fantasy and Mario Kart. Would you believe that the whole "auto-steering" thing is there for people with motor disabilities who wouldn't be able to enjoy the game otherwise? Or that FF having frameskip/no-encounter modifiers takes away a lot of frustration from some of the more annoying and backtrack-heavy dungeons? Unlike hand-holding, all of those are completely optional, and you can pretty much ignore them if you're enough of a purist, so I don't even see how it's a huge problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over