Final Fantasy VIII Remastered now has a release date

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 20, 2019.

1. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Fan

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    What was that card game inside of VIII? That was actually really fun, I remember I got an app on my phone of it years ago, and used to play it a ton.

2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    dirty cheating pc scum :creep:

3. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    So, the same treatment FFVII and FFIX got, right? Wonder why it took this long to realease. Maybe the song?

My least favorite of the three, because of the emo Squall that by that time was all the rage in media, but it had a cool magic setup that had the possibility of making the game already too easy, and the videos were incredibly good for the time.

It's a great game nevertheless.

4. DaniPoo

DaniPoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2013
    I agree but it's kind of medias fault that no one knows what's the difference between remaster, remake och reboot.

REMASTERS
    I would call a game that has been updated to run on mordern hardware with some improvements but still using the same game engine a remaster.
    The improvements are usually higher resolution output and high definition textures. Sometimes they go further then that to add in new features and better character models.
    Final Fantasy VIII fits into this category.

REMAKES
    A game that has been rebuilt from scratch to be a modern version of the original while still being the same game.
    Remakes usually keeps the gameplay and story retty much on point with the original game while improving on everything and adding some new features.
    The pokemon games are famous for their remakes, also there are a few good final fantasy remakes. FFIV for DS added 3d graphics and voice acting in cutscenes.

REBOOTS
    These are similar to remakes but takes way more liberties.
    The Final Fantasy VII remake is in my opinion a reboot.
    It completely changes the gameplay while using some concepts like materia from the original.
    Also it will tell the story in a new way as I understand it.
    So yeah it's a completely new game that shares the story and characters from and older game.
    To me it seems like the new DOOM games are also reboots based on DOOM 1 and DOOM 2. (Correct me if im wrong)

Red771 and yadspi like this.
  5. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    lol they put this cheat system because the level up system is broken

Glyptofane likes this.
  6. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    I'm conflicted here. I hated the direction FF was going at the time, but the new ones are so much worse. I don't want a new one after 13 and 15's garbage dropoffs.

7. 1MiinMofo

1MiinMofo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    Canada
    I've always found it amusing how rumor becomes accepted wisdom. Like how people were pissed when Nintendo announced the Switch Lite instead of the promised Switch Pro. Nevermind that Nintendo never, ever said anything about a "Pro" version of the Switch.

As I am not the least bit nostalgic for games like FF VIII, I am happy to see it brought into the current era - or at least close to it - graphics-wise. That's great news.

8. Nysato

Nysato Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2017
    Canada
    This was one of first Final Fantasy's I have actually beaten (Behind 6 and 4). Would like to beat it again one day.

9. yadspi

yadspi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    Another good example is Shadow of the Colossus. There is a remaster on PS3, it has higher resolution, better frame-rate, widescreen, better textures while been the same game and code.
    There is a remake on the PS4 made from scratch with entirely new graphics, better controls, different feel.
    Also I agree that the FF7 remake is in fact a reboot... a remake would just make the same FF7 with modern graphics and game-play/story tweaks.

DaniPoo likes this.
  10. Voyambar

Voyambar Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2019
    Antarctica
    My Basement
    And what about 14?

11. DaniPoo

Jan 2, 2013
    14 is an MMORPG, I think a lot of people (me included) exclude FFXIV when we are comparing mainline Final Fantasy games since it's a completely different type of game.
    That being said, FFXIV is doing quite well however it would be sad if Final Fantasy ended up an MMORPG only.

SE needs to get back to it's roots, Just imagine if they made a Final Fantasy with PRE-rendered backgrounds, overworld, active-battle system and awesome music.
    Imagine that, but everything feeling HD, fast and smooth.

If they gave a game like that half the budget of FFXV and a team of excited devs then I think it would have the potential to surpass FFXV and FFXIII.

12. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    Triple Triad. Used to have it as a homebrew on my PSP, lol.

MikaDubbz likes this.
  13. Drban789

Drban789 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Been waiting for this for ages :D

14. StupidGamer1

StupidGamer1 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 30, 2010
    United States
    meh. HD remakes are lazy to me. hard pass.

15. Humanity

Humanity GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2019
    Norway
    This game should really have official stereoscopic 3D and 60FPS support.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

A mainline Final Fantasy game with pre-rendered backgrounds is never going to happen again.

16. DaniPoo

Jan 2, 2013
    Never say never

17. dude1

dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2006
    Canada
    sad news that they are censoring the game[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope this is just for the PS4 copy

while some may point out they are examples of minor changes, i need to remain consistent with my principles and censorship is censorship.
    so only time will tell if this remains a purchase or if I will sail the high seas out of spite.

18. Drban789

Drban789 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    anyone know what time it will be available on the eshop? Will it be midnight on the dot?

19. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I believe the eshop is updated around noon (not sure of time zone) on the day of. I was hoping for that too with the grandia collection, but that time is about when it was available.

20. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany
    its out now in germany, so midnight release