Square Enix plans to release fewer games in an attempt to ensure higher quality games

sqaure.png

Square Enix is a major publisher, with many smaller studios under its umbrella. In the past few years, we've seen a lot more games than usual released by Square Enix, which included the likes of Harvestella, Various Daylife, Valkyrie Elysium, Octopath Traveler II, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin, Forspoken, and more. They also managed to launch a number of remakes and remasters, ranging from Live A Live, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion, Tactics Ogre: Reborn, Star Ocean: The Second Story R, and the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters, all within the last two years.

Following all this, it looks like Square won't be adhering to such a rapid output, going forward. In an interview that has been recently translated (courtesy of Twitter user Genki_JPN), Square Enix's current present and director, Takashi Kiryu, stated the company's aims to release a wide variety of titles that suit lots of players' genre preferences haven't gone as well as they'd hoped.

As our customers’ needs and the types of devices available have diversified, we have tried to produce hits by developing a wide variety of titles rather than by focusing only on certain ones. I believe that this has resulted in the splintering of our resource pool.

Going forward, the new plan is to release fewer titles, with more structure, so that Square Enix's overall lineup has more quality and focus.

It has less to do with our development function and more to do with the numerous entries in our lineup. I want to structure our development function so that we are able to ensure higher quality from each title by slimming down our lineup.

Right now, Square only has a handful of titles in the pipeline that they've announced, with DLC for Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, and SaGa: Emerald Beyond all due out before the end of this year.

:arrow: Source

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Streaming services could learn from Square Enix, i.e., quality over quantity.
Not just them, everyone could learn that customers are tired of remakes of the remakes and are willing to discover real new original ideas from developers/publishers.

They're living in their secure zone bubble and are afraid of getting out of it. They should learn from Nintendo (i.e. Super Mario Wonder).

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would imagine that the Dragon Quest 2D-HD remake for the Switch would be coming out this year as well. Would be somewhat redundant to bring it out after the new Nintendo console comes out.
DQ3 HD2D was revealed and never mentioned again sadly. No idea if it is even happening anymore.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hard to tell whether this is good or bad news. Somehow I doubt it means they're going to be releasing fewer FF7 spinoff games.
They’ve been milking FF7 since 97, they are never going to stop until people stop consuming FF7 content

drazenm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am guessing this didn’t sit well with them
View attachment 414926
Wow, they all had such high hopes for that woke 💩.

Looks like square Enix can't afford to participate in the agenda clownery, awww. Awww.

When one falls off another one pops up. I'm pretty sure they will find a new way for square Enix to participate somehow. Money, sponsor, developer with money etc. Will come...

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not just them, everyone could learn that customers are tired of remakes of the remakes and are willing to discover real new original ideas from developers/publishers.

They're living in their secure zone bubble and are afraid of getting out of it. They should learn from Nintendo (i.e. Super Mario Wonder).
Actraiser Renaissance was extremely good despite the bad graphics. They need to do more of that: give their properties to passionate developers that clearly loved the original along with small budgets and instructions to focus on making the gameplay, story and music shine instead of spending millions chasing a graphics ceiling that will look dated anyways in a few years.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

drazenm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DQ3 HD2D was revealed and never mentioned again sadly. No idea if it is even happening anymore.
What is there to love there, anticipate? It's a same old game in mixed 2d/3d environment. Brings nothing new to the table, same old simple turn based gameplay, i hit you, you hit me, someone drops dead and like that every few steps on the map. And it will probably stay with 1 difficulty level, kindergarten level.

Reactions: TheCryOfHatred

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wow, they all had such high hopes for that woke 💩.

Looks like square Enix can't afford to participate in the agenda clownery, awww. Awww.

When one falls off another one pops up. I'm pretty sure they will find a new way for square Enix to participate somehow. Money, sponsor, developer with money etc. Will come...
Please go outside

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FF. The de-facto name in boredom when it comes to a video game series.

They actually had something interesting and fun with Chrono Trigger.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is there to love there, anticipate? It's a same old game in mixed 2d/3d environment. Brings nothing new to the table, same old simple turn based gameplay, i hit you, you hit me, someone drops dead and like that every few steps on the map. And it will probably stay with 1 difficulty level, kindergarten level.
Dragon Quest III is an extremely popular game in Japan still. Also probably my favorite of the DQ games I have played.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are getting new mana game this summer. That should be good enough to last a few year. Remember, not all the mana games or remakes were hits. The first 5 were pretty much the best ones, with Trails, to me, being the best classic and remake.
Post automatically merged:

Same with Crystal Dynamics.
Not SquareSoft, but could really see Rocksteady going the same way in time.

These studios pop up with a fantastic and enjoyable experience, often with some new takes on gameplay or mechanics.

If the publisher doesn't bury them, they're bought out and force to make trash, barely a single person wants or enjoys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto