Square Enix plans to release fewer games in an attempt to ensure higher quality games

sqaure.png

Square Enix is a major publisher, with many smaller studios under its umbrella. In the past few years, we've seen a lot more games than usual released by Square Enix, which included the likes of Harvestella, Various Daylife, Valkyrie Elysium, Octopath Traveler II, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin, Forspoken, and more. They also managed to launch a number of remakes and remasters, ranging from Live A Live, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion, Tactics Ogre: Reborn, Star Ocean: The Second Story R, and the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters, all within the last two years.

Following all this, it looks like Square won't be adhering to such a rapid output, going forward. In an interview that has been recently translated (courtesy of Twitter user Genki_JPN), Square Enix's current present and director, Takashi Kiryu, stated the company's aims to release a wide variety of titles that suit lots of players' genre preferences haven't gone as well as they'd hoped.

As our customers’ needs and the types of devices available have diversified, we have tried to produce hits by developing a wide variety of titles rather than by focusing only on certain ones. I believe that this has resulted in the splintering of our resource pool.

Going forward, the new plan is to release fewer titles, with more structure, so that Square Enix's overall lineup has more quality and focus.

It has less to do with our development function and more to do with the numerous entries in our lineup. I want to structure our development function so that we are able to ensure higher quality from each title by slimming down our lineup.

Right now, Square only has a handful of titles in the pipeline that they've announced, with DLC for Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, and SaGa: Emerald Beyond all due out before the end of this year.

:arrow: Source

Stash23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fkn finally. Could we see a jumpstart in the Mana series? Or maybe them fricking stop dipping their hand into gachas?
So many of those died off with playerbases fuming since their "investments" evaporated. Would be nice to see the PixelRemasters get a font upgrade too.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Square Enix is a major publisher, with many smaller studios under its umbrella. In the past few years, we've seen a lot more games than usual released by Square Enix, which included the likes of Harvestella, Various Daylife, Valkyrie Elysium, Octopath Traveler II, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin, Forspoken, and more. They also managed to launch a number of remakes and remasters, ranging from Live A Live, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion, Tactics Ogre: Reborn, Star Ocean: The Second Story R, and the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters, all within the last two years.

Following all this, it looks like Square won't be adhering to such a rapid output, going forward. In an interview that has been recently translated (courtesy of Twitter user Genki_JPN), Square Enix's current present and director, Takashi Kiryu, stated the company's aims to release a wide variety of titles that suit lots of players' genre preferences haven't gone as well as they'd hoped.

Going forward, the new plan is to release fewer titles, with more structure, so that Square Enix's overall lineup has more quality and focus.

Right now, Square only has a handful of titles in the pipeline that they've announced, with DLC for Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, and SaGa: Emerald Beyond all due out before the end of this year.

:arrow: Source
I would imagine that the Dragon Quest 2D-HD remake for the Switch would be coming out this year as well. Would be somewhat redundant to bring it out after the new Nintendo console comes out.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably it would be the best for them to do that, they release so many games such as Diofield Chronicle, Valkryie Elysium, Star Ocean The Divine Force, Forspoken, the quality of those games suck.

Reactions: TheCryOfHatred

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It was more like there were a few misses among a lot of hits... hopefully they will continue with a good mix of remakes and new games.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
GIVE ME KINGDOM HEARTS 4 YOU COWARDS! WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF!?! RELEASE IT! NOW! DO IT! GIVE ME KINGDOM HEARTS 4!!!!! DO ITTTTTT! THE POWER OF THE KEYBLADE COMPELS YOU!

EDIT: Eh, fine. Make sure it's high quality. Only focus on that one game. Drop all other projects. Just do Kingdom Hearts.

LokeYourLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Hmm, sounds like a move that the rest of the gaming industry would be wise to copy. You know, all of those conveyor-belt companies like Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Bethesda, etc. They'd certainly benefit from slowing down and focusing more over quality of quantity, especially considering how bad the state of the gaming industry has gotten with time.

Reactions: yoyoyo69

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GIVE ME KINGDOM HEARTS 4 YOU COWARDS! WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF!?! RELEASE IT! NOW! DO IT! GIVE ME KINGDOM HEARTS 4!!!!! DO ITTTTTT! THE POWER OF THE KEYBLADE COMPELS YOU!

EDIT: Eh, fine. Make sure it's high quality. Only focus on that one game. Drop all other projects. Just do Kingdom Hearts.
I second this. Screw the mobile KH games! I wanna whack Stormtroopers with the Keyblade!

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"bUt pLaYiNg tHeM Is nEcCeSaRy tO UnDeRsTaNd tHe sToRy"
Screw the mobile games storylines. They're all hundreds of years before any of the mainline games intentionally so that nothing that happens in them matters. Besides, they've turned most of the mobile games into cinematics (Kingdom Hearts Back Cover) so you dont even have to play them!
...Oh, and you cant. They've all been discontinued save for the most recent one.

Reactions: Sonic3320

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actions speaks louder than words. I haven't played very many Square Enix titles over the years, but still. I'll believe it when I see it, it's 2024 now and the army of ships are and have been sailing away one by one from the video game industry where hope is concerned. Tired of the talking, give me action instead.

Reactions: yoyoyo69

emmauss

Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
Fkn finally. Could we see a jumpstart in the Mana series? Or maybe them fricking stop dipping their hand into gachas?
So many of those died off with playerbases fuming since their "investments" evaporated. Would be nice to see the PixelRemasters get a font upgrade too.
We are getting new mana game this summer. That should be good enough to last a few year. Remember, not all the mana games or remakes were hits. The first 5 were pretty much the best ones, with Trails, to me, being the best classic and remake.
Post automatically merged:

I am guessing this didn’t sit well with them
View attachment 414926
Same with Crystal Dynamics.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please make your ports better too! The pixel remasters didn't get the updates the consoles got and KH is unplayable on AMD graphics cards

Reactions: The Catboy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto