Final Fantasy VIII Remastered now has a release date

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 20, 2019.

1. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    And cards.

2. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I really hated the original final fantasy 8. I've done some ranting on the game in the past, so if you want to skip it (or don't want story spoilers), just don't expand the following box:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Ahem...rant aside: at least SE somewhat recognizes these gripes. Turning off the encounters and a speed-up are much needed. I'd even be tempted to give it another chance if my backlog didn't contain hundreds of games I'd rather play.

Last edited by Taleweaver, Aug 20, 2019
  3. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    The most important thing must be said TWICE: play original one on PSX, I was never able to complete Card queen's quest neither Pocketstation to have that rarest card.

4. yadspi

yadspi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    Remasters are games made to work on modern systems with little touches. Remakes are what you're thinking about.

5. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    I hope this is coming to Android too...

6. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Though remastered sounds wrong as master word means like the greatest or ultimate so I think Remastered should be replaced in games with the word revamped:D

7. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    I really enjoyed VIII. While it's probably not my favourite FF, I have played through it more times than any of the others - I like the characters more than those in some of the more highly regarded titles in the franchise, and it's non-linear narrative is also more engaging than the stories in most of the later titles.
    Not sure if I'll bother with the remaster - I'm always happy to play my original PS1 disks.

Mastering and remastering are production terms. Nothing to do with master equating to great or ultimate.

Last edited by duwen, Aug 20, 2019
    yadspi and chartube12 like this.
  8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Neat. I'm one of the 5 people who actually like 8, so will probably give this a go at some point.

gameboy likes this.
  9. Dartz150

Dartz150 Hat Gurl Official Fan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    Finally Squall will be the best looking guy around.

Anonymous456 likes this.
  10. SwitchGlitch

SwitchGlitch Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2018
    Netherlands
    Glitchland
    Wow did i missed something ?? Didnt know the remaster was going to be on the switch i knew that the ps1 version was coming (Thats Already Out I KNOW) but this totaly suprise :D

11. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Ill be honest, ff13 and core crisis are the only two titles I have finished. And 13 I altered my save at the final boss. Couldn’t get past him

12. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    I don't mind the addition of the cheats. But I don't want them enabled by default; and I certainly don't want them to be activated with a button press on the fly.

Let the user select "easy mode" from the beginning to enable that sort of functionality. Final Fantasy games are not terribly difficult to begin with.

13. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    If they release the new character models for the party members they put in as DLC for 3$ for the existing FF8 on Steam I might consider buying it.
    Other than that nothing major seems to have changed, it was the same for the FF10(-2) Remaster, all NPCs looked atrocious and the German localization was one of the worst I have ever seen.
    If you play FF8 with an emulator with PGXP you can have FF8 with the same visual quality in 16:9 and original OST right now and it only costs 10$ on PSN.

Last edited by Wuigi, Aug 20, 2019
  14. darksweet

darksweet 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.. OMEGA FLARE

Mar 15, 2009
    is anyone know about the region that this game will be, im in Singapore account i can't find the game in pre-order section

Last edited by darksweet, Aug 20, 2019
  15. proffk

proffk GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Looking good but a total remake would of been better.

16. Anonymous456

Anonymous456 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2017
    United States
    Cue: "Don't Be Afraid"

Angelus3K likes this.
  17. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    I wonder if it will look better than the GUM mod.

18. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    FFVIII was the main game I was in the middle of when my piece of shit third party mega memory card for PS1 failed. I was pretty far into it and never had the urge to start over during that generation and then just moved on entirely. Now is the time for the rematch.

19. Voyambar

Voyambar GBAtemp Regular

Jul 30, 2019
    Antarctica
    My Basement
    If I may chime in here. This is not new news...hell this news isn't even surprising in the slightest. Square Enix keeps remastering their FF games to the point where hearing of a FF remaster isn't even a pinch of surprising. Square Enix needs to stop remastering their FF games because its getting old and annoying. It would be both better and a surprise if news came out of a new FF game.

20. simbin

simbin GBAtemp Fan

Jul 28, 2015
    United States
    No physical. Guess I have to be happy with my PS1 copy, pickup free version later ;)