Square Enix confirms Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster port for PS4 and Switch

jujkjkjl.png

Retailer leaks hinted at the possibility of Square Enix bringing the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series to consoles, and now those reports have been confirmed. In Spring 2023, the first six Final Fantasy games as part of the Pixel Remaster collection, will be ported to both the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. These games will be available as either individual downloads, or as part of a full set, with a limited physical edition on the way as well, consisting of figurines, a vinyl, an artbook, and more.

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I admit that I bought FF6 multiple times. It's a wishing well for a proper remake.
I will most likely get these, but I don't know about full price. I have them for steam, just haven't really messed with them, and they were on sale for like 20% off. I'd advise others to wait for a discount. I didn't for a lot of games, including switch ones, and I hadn't played the game yet, so it was money in the toilet at that point. :P

EduAAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Cool, free final fantasy pixel remaster collection....doh
I mean, finally final fantasy pixel remaster collection on switch for free... doh.

pokota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well at least now I know why they haven't showed up on NSO yet.

Problem is that I have the GBA versions of 1+2, 4, 5, and 6. And SNES 6 has a number of hacks that I'm curious about.

Reactions: Ligeia

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why Square Enix always do this type of thing? There's people with Xbox's waiting to play this remasters and propably will never see into their plataform or if some day will be way after does who are in Playstation eco system. Heck this time even Nintendo Switch will receive before Xbox. How much money Sony pay for Square Enix do this things? And they keep crying about ABK deal. :rofl::rofl:

Funny how you mention Sony crying, while crying.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are these versions actually any better than just playing the SNES originals? or should i just emulate like always? ive played FF5/6 through the SNES/GBA versions

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
And with this announcement, my plan is officially underway. I want to be the first person to get the platinum trophy for every numbered Final Fantasy game in a row.** I thru XVX, including X-2 and the XIII trilogy.

I was already planning to do that starting with VII but when I was about a day away from completing it the ESRB leaked that these games were probably going to be announced soon. So, with only the final boss to go before getting the platinum, I held off on finishing VII and jumped right in to VIII.

Hopefully by the time the Pixel Remasters come out I will have made enough progress in all of the other titles that I will be able to double back and do the same thing for I thru VI. If all goes according to plan I want to set every game up so that I am one trophy away from platinuming each game so that I can pick a day and just unlock all of the platinums in a row.

The bottleneck of this plan would have been XIV (the MMO) because it takes 6 months in real life time to gather the 1,000 allowances to complete all of the levequests required for the PS4 platinum, but I accounted for this already since I started the free trial back in November and have been collecting the allowances already. As long as I keep consistent with logging in every 14 days or so to use them up I shouldn't have to worry about the 6 months since the Pixel Remasters aren't even coming out until May (tentatively) anyway.

So you heard it here first, folks. Your pal Ericzander is going to be the first to obtain all of the mainline FF platinum trophies in a row.

But nobody cares about any of that YAY I'M EXCITED FOR THIS COLLECTION, LET ME REVIEW IT!

**I'm obviously excluding XI from this adventure since it's a PC only MMO not available on PlayStation. I am also excluding VII Remake because it doesn't tell the full story of VII and I would rather play it and its sequels back to back when they're all released. I am of course playing the original VII.
And while you're at it, why not do all the retroachievements for all older versions of the games (and hacks)? :D

• Wow
Reactions: Ericzander

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Why Square Enix always do this type of thing? There's people with Xbox's waiting to play this remasters and propably will never see into their plataform or if some day will be way after does who are in Playstation eco system. Heck this time even Nintendo Switch will receive before Xbox. How much money Sony pay for Square Enix do this things? And they keep crying about ABK deal. :rofl::rofl:
Who buys an Xbox for Japanese games? Its like buying a Switch specifically for fifa, you just don't do it.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, square-enix royally fucked up the retail version almost as badly as Nintendo fucked up the special edition of xenoblade chronicles 3. constant crashes, queues, and whatnot, just to buy the damn thing. you had to sit at the computer all day to have any chance. well, square-enix did just that. it was on sale the day before yesterday at around midnight in some time zone of the U.S. now, it's sold out. god damn, did they not understand the popularity of final fantasy???

ShadowbannedAllstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been playing a game called Exos Heroes a lot lately. It's a JRPG except made by a Korean dev team so I guess it's a KRPG. I started playing it on my phone but then they made a PC version (via their own non-Steam client), and then a Steam version. It's got a cel-shaded 3D look, kind of like Bandai's Tales games. It's an absolutely gorgeous looking game, and it's the one that changed my mind when I thought that mobile games couldn't have console or PC quality graphics.

For some reason - maybe my OCD - I've become obsessed with the idea of Square Enix doing a remake of FF6, except with the kind of cel-shaded 2D anime look in Exos Heroes (or something like Tales of Arise or Genshin). HD2D isn't enough, and I don't even think that I would be content with the polygon 3D look of FF7R or the other most recent Final Fantasy games. I need an FF6 that looks like I'm playing an anime. I know it will never happen, though, and Square will just keep crapping out awful looking pixel games of 1 through 6 for the next few decades.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Who buys an Xbox for Japanese games? Its like buying a Switch specifically for fifa, you just don't do it.
Funny thing is, I'd imagine Xbox owners would buy games like FF7R and FF16 if they were made available on Xbox, but they can't because a certain company has been spending money to prevent their release on Xbox. So what ends up happening is they buy them on the particular platform they are still available on, removing possible competition of future releases. It's a sad state of affairs because this is exactly what this company is crying about with MS trying to acquire ABK.

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
are these versions actually any better than just playing the SNES originals? or should i just emulate like always? ive played FF5/6 through the SNES/GBA versions
I'll be surprised if they won't try to modernize the gameplay a little like they did with Final Fantasy VII.

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Funny thing is, I'd imagine Xbox owners would buy games like FF7R and FF16 if they were made available on Xbox, but they can't because a certain company has been spending money to prevent their release on Xbox. So what ends up happening is they buy them on the particular platform they are still available on, removing possible competition of future releases. It's a sad state of affairs because this is exactly what this company is crying about with MS trying to acquire ABK.
Funny thing is, they don't. Final Fantasy XV PS4 sold 5.07 million units while it only sold 1.17 on Xbox. That's a pretty sizable gap. Specially when ps4 JP sales alone almost outsells Xbox's worldwide sales. Heck Twilight Princess HD, a Wii U game released in 2016, a year where the Wii U was death beyond recovery sold 1.24 units wordwide.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well at least now I know why they haven't showed up on NSO yet.

Problem is that I have the GBA versions of 1+2, 4, 5, and 6. And SNES 6 has a number of hacks that I'm curious about.
I recently played FF VI Divergent Paths and it was dope ! FF IV Playable Golbez Edition is great too.

testing123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This FFVI remastered from GBA or PS1 version

So far none of the Pixel remasters have the GBA improvements.
Post automatically merged:

It is the best version of FF3. The others are good, but the extra content and high resolution sprites in the PSP versions of FF1, FF2 and especially FF4 make them better. FF4 PSP in particular contains almost two extra games in content between interlude, the extra dungeon in the base game and the After Years.

Still, the pixel remaster versions are excellent, so if you don't feel like getting or emulating a PSP they are probably the best way to experience them.

Agree with most of that, but respectfully disagree on FF3.

FF3 pixel remaster is basically the NES game, with all the NES flaws for the time. Barely any story, archaic engine, poor pacing and balance. The 4 main characters are literally nameless blank slates.

FF3 3d is better as it actually fleshes out the no-name characters of the original game and (somewhat) rebalances the job system.

Last edited by testing123,
Reactions: nubie

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in FF3 3D, they really only added default names (also in Pixel Remaster) and a handful of dialogs for the party at the start of the game. After they leave the initial area, there is almost no new character dialog or character development for the rest of the game.

To me, that minor addition doesn't offset the slower combat, clunky PS1-style graphics, or the overly zoomed camera. I personally preferred the original NES version to the 3D remake, and the Pixel Remaster is better than the NES version.

Reactions: Ligeia

testing123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in FF3 3D, they really only added default names (also in Pixel Remaster) and a handful of dialogs for the party at the start of the game. After they leave the initial area, there is almost no new character dialog or character development for the rest of the game.

To me, that minor addition doesn't offset the slower combat, clunky PS1-style graphics, or the overly zoomed camera. I personally preferred the original NES version to the 3D remake, and the Pixel Remaster is better than the NES version.

They also added dialogue for all the guest members; even those tiny things were way more than the NES barebones.

Also, the endgame is far better balanced. The original nes is borderline unwinnable and severely lacked quality control.

FF3 is honestly one of the worst FFs in the entire series; a first timer would be driven away by how clunky it is from start to finish, especially as the endgame grind could equal the entire previous length of the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto