Create items in Skyward Sword!

Thrust

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
OK, I'll bite. Zelda as a whole is not rpg. What make you think it is a rpg?

I didn't even feel the same vibe(?) between playing a rpg and Zelda.

You're... kidding right? So because its not turn based and you dont level up its not an rpg? Zelda has ALWAYS been an rpg, its all about collecting items, dungeon crawling and puzzle solving. Hell the originals even had the same top down style EVERY 2D RPG USED EVER FOR THEIR WORLD MAP TRAVELING. I dont even understand where your logic is on this

EDIT: oh man whats even FUNNIER about all this is even on the nintendo site every zelda game is listed as an rpg, except skyward sword. The one that you are complaining is OMG GOING RPG apparently nintendo completely disagrees with you.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i've always classified zelda as an rpg just cos you dont lvl doesnt mean the game isn't an rpg. many games have had the same formula before and their a rpg like wonderboy 3. exactly what defines a game as an rpg IMO it has to have some type of shop system, currency and a life meter that's what an rpg is.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TDWP FTW said:
Well, it's official, Skyward Sword is going to be the worst Zelda game ever. Thanks for ruining my favorite series ever, Nintendo.
Will never be worse than Spirit Tracks.

I see nothing wrong with this, its not changing the core game its just adding something to it. To me its just the same as finding a chest with a new weapon in it.

Without additional changes Zelda would be just be exactly how it was 25 years ago just prettier. Look at Majora's Mask an absolute classic that is so different from other games, I suppose you hate that too? It's what Nintendo do, they've been doing this for 30 years and I welcome it as after Wind Waker these games just became the same tired old thing over and over.

Thrust said:
QUOTE(KingVamp @ Sep 22 2011, 03:07 AM) OK, I'll bite. Zelda as a whole is not rpg. What make you think it is a rpg?

You're... kidding right? So because its not turn based and you dont level up its not an rpg? Zelda has ALWAYS been an rpg, its all about collecting items, dungeon crawling and puzzle solving. Hell the originals even had the same top down style EVERY 2D RPG USED EVER FOR THEIR WORLD MAP TRAVELING. I dont even understand where your logic is on this
Metroid is a RPG then?

Leveling up is the vital part of an RPG, it makes it a RPG, without it ITS NOT an RPG.

As for the "dungeon crawling" you only do that in RPGs to level up, there is no dungeon crawling sure you go through dungeons but only as a way to go from A to B. Wolfenstein 3D has dungeons, that is not a RPG.
The overhead map...just because MOST 2D RPG used it still doesn't make it a RPG, SWIV had an overhead map that's not an RPG. Many games had overhead maps, even some free roaming ones had it some of which were nothing like RPG titles.

What you're stating is stupid its like saying "Link's character has eyes and that makes it an RPG because many RPG characters have eyes."

Zelda series is a free roaming action adventure title, you don't level up. You do gain weapons and items to make you stronger but without them your character has the exact same abilities, strengths and agility when you end the game as when you start.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
i've always classified zelda as an rpg just cos you dont lvl doesnt mean the game isn't an rpg. many games have had the same formula before and their a rpg like wonderboy 3. exactly what defines a game as an rpg IMO it has to have some type of shop system, currency and a life meter that's what an rpg is.
That not the reason I'm even going on, it doesn't feel like a rpg. I give you it has rpg elements(Which could be a reason why they put rpg there),but it doesn't really feel that way.Could you honestly say you feel like you playing rpg while playing Zelda?Also (if I'm correct) no game store list it as a rpg.

But... don't most genres got that?

Thrust

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why do people assume you have to level up for it to be an rpg, and yet again I state you level up in the very second game of the series!

"A role-playing game (RPG) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within the game succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guideline"

So yes, I feel like im playing an rpg when I play zelda cause it IS ONE. Its the same feeling as playing kingdom hearts

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hadrian said:
Metroid is a RPG then?

Leveling up is the vital part of an RPG, it makes it a RPG, without it ITS NOT an RPG.

As for the "dungeon crawling" you only do that in RPGs to level up, there is no dungeon crawling sure you go through dungeons but only as a way to go from A to B. Wolfenstein 3D has dungeons, that is not a RPG.
The overhead map...just because MOST 2D RPG used it still doesn't make it a RPG, SWIV had an overhead map that's not an RPG. Many games had overhead maps, even some free roaming ones had it some of which were nothing like RPG titles.

What you're stating is stupid its like saying "Link's character has eyes and that makes it an RPG because many RPG characters have eyes."

Zelda series is a free roaming action adventure title, you don't level up. You do gain weapons and items to make you stronger but without them your character has the exact same abilities, strengths and agility when you end the game as when you start.
To be fair, if I remember correctly the old Zelda games were called RPGs back then, because the Action Adventure genre wasn't established yet.

Telal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
M[u said:
ddy]

To be fair, if I remember correctly the old Zelda games were called RPGs back then, because the Action Adventure genre wasn't established yet.

No Back when Zelda came out it was strictly known as an adventure game. Ultima was an RPG, FF was an RPG... You would have had a hell of an argument back in the day trying to say Zelda was an RPG especially since all RPGs were completely turned based at that point. It seems like it's accepted as an RPG more now than ever (Even though it isn't and even ARPGs just don't feel like real RPGs to most older RPG fans that I know)... I think mostly because people have gotten sick of trying to argue against it for 25 years.

Mr.Mysterio

Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I could care less about whether this Zelda is an RPG or not. As long as they stay faithful to series, they can add whatever they want. Heck, I wouldn't mind making my own equipment.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hadrian said:
TDWP FTW said:
Well, it's official, Skyward Sword is going to be the worst Zelda game ever. Thanks for ruining my favorite series ever, Nintendo.

I see nothing wrong with this, its not changing the core game its just adding something to it. To me its just the same as finding a chest with a new weapon in it.

Without additional changes Zelda would be just be exactly how it was 25 years ago just prettier. Look at Majora's Mask an absolute classic that is so different from other games, I suppose you hate that too? It's what Nintendo do, they've been doing this for 30 years and I welcome it as after Wind Waker these games just became the same tired old thing over and over.

Thrust said:
KingVamp said:

Metroid is a RPG then?
metroid doesnt have a shop system so not an rpg

PURE BULLSHIT just cos you think aN RPG game isn't like FF it's not an rpg this
myth-busted.jpg

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
PURE BULLSHIT just cos you think aN RPG game isn't like FF it's not an rpg this
Not really, never mentioned FF at all. I'm speaking about the original RPG games not JRPGs.

Its fine if you want to think its an RPG, its not skin off my dick and its not taking away the enjoyment of the games. Even the creators stated many times that its not a RPG.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just think it's kinda weird that people already don't like this game because they're changing things.

Playing the same thing over and over is not something I'd like to do.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sweet, from the sound of it it's going to be the best zelda game yet, even better than TP. It remains to see though, but I have high hopes. Also having to go back to areas you already completed will make the gameplay last longer so you get more value for money. As long as they do it properly so it doesn't feel too repetitive.

TDWP FTW said:
JoostinOnline said:
TDWP FTW said:
I'll assume that was sarcasm.

No, it wasn't. It's not even a Zelda game anymore. It's Generic School Drama JRPG Cutscene Master 2011. Zelda games, aren't, and shouldn't be focused on drama, cutscenes (Apparently there's LOADS in SS), or generic RPG bullshit. It's an action-adventure series, not an RPG series.

What's next, Nintendo, a Mario FPS?

You're either insane or you have no idea what a JRPG is (or a RPG even).
Though I can agree to some point about the cutscenes, in my opinion cutscenes add a lot to the story, so they're not a bad thing. As long as you can skip them the second time around I don't mind them at all, I don't expect them to be skippable, but that's not a huge issue. I haven't beat TP more than once anyway. And when have zelda games ever not had cutscenes? That they add more is just a good thing because it makes the story more elaborate and Zelda games pretty much have the same base story, so making it more elaborate will make it feel less like a rehash.
Main point = Cutscenes and drama do not a RPG make. Please explain what you mean by "generic RPG bullshit" if you don't want to sound like a troll. Zelda does not have a leveling system. Your attack and defense can not increase. There are no equips (in the RPG sense). Therefore, Zelda is not a RPG.
I wouldn't mind if it was, but a RPG plays completely differently from action/adventure.

Hadrian said:
TDWP FTW said:

QUOTE(Thrust @ Sep 22 2011, 12:28 PM)
QUOTE(KingVamp @ Sep 22 2011, 03:07 AM)

Metroid is a RPG then?

I completely agree with everything you said, especially the Spirit Tracks part. God, I hated the Zelda games on DS. They just didn't feel like Zelda games, they felt more like spinoffs due to the huge difference in how they're played.

olleb

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gloweyjoey said:
In the very first LoZ, you receive a sword upgrade for collecting a certain amount of heart containers.
do not forget the sword and shield upgrades in a link to the past, and the sword upgrade in Majoras Mask.

BTW... RPG = Role Playing Game.
zelda.. and rpg with a fixed role to play...
The elder scrolls 4: Oblivion.. a RPG with a fixed role but very much customisable...

the games are very diffrent but both are still an RPG.

olleb

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
If you want to take the definition of RPG so strictly, then what is not a rpg?
counterstrike.. you do not play any specefic role.
starcraft.. you play a team of units u build.. not a role.
battlefield.. you do not play any specefic role.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Nujui said:
I just think it's kinda weird that people already don't like this game because they're changing things.

Playing the same thing over and over is not something I'd like to do.

I am worried a lot about nintendo changing a lot of things that make zelda, zelda but I will hold off judgement when the game comes out, I am excited about playing a new zelda title though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over