Let's talk about Tears of the Kingdom

captain_obvious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warning: spoilers. This post assumes you have already 100% completed the game or don't care about spoilers.

I enjoyed this game but am not a big fan of it. My biggest gripe is it takes too long to get stuff done.

The overworld in Breath of the Wild was already too big and largely contained empty space and filler content. Tears of the Kingdom takes a more is more approach by recycling the same world, adding another world below it and some floating islands above it. On one hand it's cool to see how Hyrule has changed since Breath of the Wild but going around the same giant map to reach towers and shrines again just takes too long. The depths are not fun as they're dark and repetitive. I threw brightbloom seeds around jumping from lightroot to lightroot to brighten the place up. Flying around on a place was a nice idea and it works but the game despawns the plane after just a few minutes forcing you to find another one, spend one from your inventory or spend and farm more zonite (assuming you have unlocked Autobuild). There are some nice rewards in the depths like schemas, Autobuild, intact weapons and some story content but it's not worth the hassle of going around this massive dark place. The sky is better but there's just not enough up there and it suffers from the same issue as on the overworld where you have to spend time going to a tower then gliding to where you want to go.

Grinding is my next gripe. I didn't use any item duplication glitches or cheats. After every blood moon I went to certain places to gather apples, bananas and weapons and fought Silver Bokoblins and Battle Talus' to upgrade my Hylian Gear to level four. I didn't bother with other armour sets because it would have taken way too long.

The dungeons and bosses are an improvement over Breath of the Wild but they're still not as good as those in the games based on the Ocarina of Time formula.

I have other issues too like weapon durability, Ultrahand being too fiddly and getting multiple main quests which can lead to unlocking certain features too late for them to be useful (like how I didn't get my first Traveller's Medallion) but these are minor annoyances I can deal with.

I am biased because I'm not a fan of open world games and I played through Breath of the Wild twice at a time in my life where I had far more free time than I do now. Tears of the Kingdom does improve upon its predecessor but I enjoyed it less. If I play this game again it will be with cheats enabled. Being able to fly around on super fast planes without the need to constantly grind for them will be so much better.

You can argue that I fucked up. I avoided the depths until near the endgame so I upgraded my maximum energy cells and got Autobuild when they were too late to be useful. I didn't build much until near the endgame either and forgot how to use Zonai dispensers. A gameplay demo I watched after finishing the game indicates that planes only despawn if they are constructed with Autobuild (I haven't tested this myself yet).

My advice to players is to play around in the initial area on the sky island until you feel you've had enough and skip the rest of the game.

So what do you think? Do you think it's a great game, good but not great, or not very good?

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have really enjoyed the game and feel it's a solid improvment over botw, that being said I definitely have my niggles.

Getting around is far easier in totk, and this made the world feel less empty. Obviously because of the vehicles, but also I find being able to hop around the sky islands and then drop down to a point on the surface to be quite conveient in this respect too.

Sadly the sky islands don't seem to serve much other purpose for me though. Which has been a shame as I have really enjoyed exploring them, there just isn't really much to explore. The depths however were a welcome surprise, I really enjoy being down in there, and I spent a lot of time there early on in my playthrough.

I have done the main quest, all the shrines, and found all the lightroots. I am currently going around knocking off side quests. My wife is currently playing botw, and it has made me notice something that is a bit annoying. There are a few side quests in totk that are pretty much exactly the same in botw. At first it was just a couple that we noticed: There's a guy in hateno village who want's to know what a girl likes in both games, in gerudo canyon you have to find missing people in both games. Then we started to notice more:

In gerudo town you have to find the orbs for rotana.

In gerudo desert you have to follow the swordswomen in the desert, in botw they lead to a shrine, in totk they lead to a helmet.

In gerudo highlands there is a wife who wants guts to cure her sick husband, in botw she wants molduga guts, in totk she wants gleeok guts.

I am sure there will be more, this is just what we've noticed by having casual conversations about what we are doing on our respective games. We have made no effort to cross reference our respective quest lists and see what is repeated, I am in no doubt if we did we would find more.

It's a shame about the niggly bits because I am really enjoying this game. I fully accepted upon playing this game that they would reuse the format from some of the side quests, which would have been fine. I just feel they could have made more of an effort to make those quests different to their botw counterparts. Take the gerudo with a sick husband for example, why not make it a farmer in hateno with a sick animal or something?

Reactions: captain_obvious

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I never would have noticed this but it is sloppy to recycle side-quests like this.

I only really noticed because my wife is playing botw right now. Like I said I totally get them reusing the format of the side quests, but for them to be total carbon copies is just a little bit lazy in my eyes.

It's a bit of a shame because I am really liking the game and I do think it's a solid improvement over botw

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?