Tears of the Kingdom producer Eiji Aonuma rules out the possibility of DLC for the game

sddefault.jpg

In an exclusive interview with Famitsu today, Eiji Aonuma and Hidemaro Fujibayashi got to share many of their experiences when developing the highly acclaimed sequel to the 2017 game, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

In the interview, both Aonuma and Fujibayashi talk about how the early stages of development begun, starting right after the additional content (DLC) for Breath of the Wild was finished, and then going through how the new abilities for Link came into fruition, like Ultra Hand and Autobuild, the newly added caves and underground areas, as well as the sky sections, the Zonai's introduction as well as their devices, the trials, Dungeons, Koroks, Ganondorf's inclusion, amongst many other interesting topics regarding the new entry in the Zelda franchise.

One point of interest from this interview, however, is when both Aonuma and Fujibayashi were asked about a possible sequel or even new "stages", to which Aonoma replies that they currently have no plans for any kind of additional content, given that they chose to make a sequel with the reasoning that they could still add new experiences and ways to play in this new Hyrule from where they left off with Breath of the Wild.

Here's the full section talking about the additional content from the interview, but be aware that the original interview by Famitsu was written in full Japanese, so this translation might not be 100% accurate:

Famitsu's Interview said:
-Now then, I'd like to hear about your next work... I think there are various possibilities, whether it's a further sequel or a new stage.

Fujibayashi: I don't know if it will be the next work, but I'm thinking about what the "next fun experience" will be. I can only say that I do not know at the moment what form it will take.

Aonuma: There are no plans to release additional content at this time, but that's because it feels like we've done everything we can to create games in that world. In the first place, the reason why we chose this time as a sequel to the previous game is because we thought there would be value in experiencing new play in that place in Hyrule. Then, if such a reason is newly born, it may return to the same world again. Whether it's a sequel or a new work, I think it will be a completely new way to play, so I'd be happy if you could look forward to it.

If you're interested in reading the full interview by Famitsu, be sure to check out the source link at the bottom, and if you're a native Japanese speaker willing to polish up the translation, be sure to do so on the comments. Any corrections to the interview's translation will be added accordingly and with proper credits.

:arrow: Source

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what i want to know is when is the next dlc or game of "hyrule warriors" series coming out. they need to take what they put into totk and update some new missions and add the sky and depths to hyrule warriors. that would be so cool.

Reactions: TheDerpyDolphin

Sylx3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Huh? Did they really say such an idiotic thing?
Please, give me a source for this - else I'm not gonna believe it.
https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-not-thinking-about-older-games-classic-zelda/

It's not a real "no" but it's the dev version of "deal with it" in my opinion.

Also this : https://nintendoeverything.com/zeld...ind-of-format-for-the-series-to-proceed-from/

"Of course, the series continued to evolve after Ocarina of Time, but I think it’s also fair to say now that we’ve arrived at Breath of the Wild and the new type of more open play and freedom that it affords. Yeah, I think it’s correct to say that it has created a new kind of format for the series to proceed from.”"

Last edited by Sylx3,
  • Sad
Reactions: RichardTheKing

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Honestly would rather they don't spend a year making dlc and instead start work on the next game

Would be cool if the New switch U & knuckles launched with a new Zelda
I'm willing to bet they keep porting Wii and Wii U games on the next system too, instead of original titles. They'll also probably re-release TONS of Switch games again as HD or HD+ or whatever, to better take advantage of the new hardware and fuck over us consumers again like they did with those of us who bought a Wii U and a Switch.

I'm tired of first-party games just being ported over, I want more original games, prequels, and sequels!!!

(And in my opinion, they squandered the two Zelda HD games on the Wii U instead of the Switch, and THOSE should have been the games ported over. But all we got was BotW and Link's Muddy Easter Adventure Skyward Sword ported instead.)

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then you admit TotK is just an upgraded version of BotW : it makes BotW completely obsolete precisely because it's the same game with more content and better tablet powers.
Past the physics and visuals it feels like an entirely different game though. Like I could recolonize rough area's, but it felt very very different the entire ride through. I truly felt like a sequel. A continuation of the same story that plays out entirely differently. I mean I get that it's a Nintendo game and people on this forum love trying to find reasons to bitch about them, but this is just stupid.

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping there wouldn't be DLC, but I am also disappointed that no DLC means no Master Mode difficulty.

That was one of the few worthwhile aspects of Breath of the Wild's DLC, even if a higher difficulty setting shouldn't be separated out into DLC. A lot of BotW's DLC shouldn't have been DLC honestly, and a lot of its DLC should've been implemented differently to better integrate with the base game's progression and narrative in a less disruptive way. No DLC for TotK at least means they won't be repeating that mistake 2 games in a row.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm willing to bet they keep porting Wii and Wii U games on the next system too, instead of original titles. They'll also probably re-release TONS of Switch games again as HD or HD+ or whatever, to better take advantage of the new hardware and fuck over us consumers again like they did with those of us who bought a Wii U and a Switch.

I'm tired of first-party games just being ported over, I want more original games, prequels, and sequels!!!

(And in my opinion, they squandered the two Zelda HD games on the Wii U instead of the Switch, and THOSE should have been the games ported over. But all we got was BotW and Link's Muddy Easter Adventure Skyward Sword ported instead.)
I mean they take a few weeks to make. Why wouldn't they? Easy releases to throw out while they actually work on new things. Better that than releasing literally nothing.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

if the next Switch is backwards compatible with maybe the ability to upscale, then I can imagine them releasing that update alongside DLC.
Would add more value than just giving us a next gen update on its own.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i can say for sure
you-can-fucking-count-on-it-mandy-patinkin.gif

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the next Switch is backwards compatible with maybe the ability to upscale, then I can imagine them releasing that update alongside DLC.
Would add more value than just giving us a next gen update on its own.
That really comes down to how they would handle backwards compatibility if at all. Really the only 2 methods I could think of would either be patching every single game to make them work with the new hardware. Which this method would allow for performance and graphical improvements, but would also make lots of games incompatible seeing lots of devs would not patch them. The second method would be including a dedicated TegraX1 chip inside of the system for those Switch titles to run off of. This would be more expensive and wouldnt really allow for much of an improvement to the titles, but would be basically 100% compatible.

djnate27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No DLC for a DLC
"Oh snap, oh no you didn't." [Said in a sassy voice].
I don't have a problem with people calling TotK 'BotW DLC'. In a way it is...and it isn't.
With that logic: I'm gonna start calling sports games: DLC, since they are usually built off the previous game with only a few tweaks and roster changes.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
From what I heard, TotK was originally going to be BotW DLC, but it got waaay too big and ambitious, so they decided to make it a separate game instead.

GengarsGhostlyGiggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I'm surprised they aren't going to do VR dlc.
Though I'd 100% bet Nintendo will make VR ports of olde games for big money.
super mario 64 remake in vr would be pretty cool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa How have you been