Skyward Sword HD will have a $25 amiibo that unlocks new fast travel features

The upcoming release of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD on the Nintendo Switch will see more than just a fresh coat of HD paint--the game will also add in some new quality of life changes. For example, the newly-revealed Zelda and Loftwing amiibo will let players fast travel to the sky from within dungeons or while on land. In the original release of the game, fast travel mechanics were only available when you were at Bird Statues, which also acted as save points.

This wouldn't mark the first time that Nintendo has locked features behind the paywall of using amiibo; Metroid: Samus Returns on the Nintendo 3DS had a controversial reveal that an amiibo would unlock a special Fusion Mode. Nintendo hasn't made it entirely clear as to whether or not fast travel capabilities will be locked purely behind purchasing the more-expensive-than-usual $24.99 amiibo, but for now, it seems like it's exclusive to those that can scan the figure. Both The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD and the fast-travel unlocking Zelda and Loftwing amiibo will launch on July 16th.

Every legend has an origin – and soon you can follow the earliest tale in The Legend of Zelda™ timeline when the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD game launches on the Nintendo Switch™ system. The HD version of this classic adventure features enhanced performance, smoother motion controls, and newly added button-only controls. The new “Zelda & Loftwing” amiibo* will be released on July 16 to accompany the launch of the game.

Zelda_Loftwing_amiibo.jpg

The Zelda & Loftwing amiibo features two characters on a single base: Zelda as she appears in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, and her trusty Loftwing.

In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, Zelda is the hero Link’s childhood friend, and is always looking out for him. Loftwings are large birds living on the floating islands of Skyloft and are ridden by the people there to travel across the skies.

Zelda_Loftwing_amiibo_screens1.jpg

Introducing the Zelda & Loftwing amiibo!

In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, the adventure takes place between the skies where Link and his friends reside, and the vast world of the surface that lies beneath the clouds.

Normally, you can only return from the surface to the sky by way of designated save points, but using the Zelda & Loftwing amiibo while on the surface in the game will allow you to return to the skies from anywhere on the surface, even inside dungeons.

Ibcap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's because they kind of ARE "bad game design" - arbitrarily limiting the player for no reason whatsoever, leading to frustration and regret. Assassin's Creed Origins did it far better with pretty much none of the limits, and with a far more compelling art style to boot.
Thats just, like, your opinion man. I like botw more than assassins creed, but you dont see me over here telling everyone else that they have to agree with me.

D

Deleted User

I love paying >$25 for quality of life features in a 9 year old game from a generations of consoles ago. Thanks Nintendo!

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thats just, like, your opinion man. I like botw more than assassins creed, but you dont see me over here telling everyone else that they have to agree with me.
Just trying to have a friendly debate over opinions.

And yeah, I'm not gonna be buying Skyward Sword again; already had my fill with the Wii version, amiibo notwithstanding.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Much like everything, craptendo has always been behind the times compared to everyone else.
EA and other companies have been pulling this kinda crap for like a decade now, only ninty has finally began to catch up, lol.
I always joked that they had slow internet like the 80/90s or what, but at this point I'mma believe they don't even have that, they're still using pigeons to get news from the rest of the world.

Deleted member 558516

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
why? who the heck would pay for $25 for a freaking fast travel in a game?????
alsooo, who would even pay for a "hd" version of a 10 year old game

( i dont wanna say crappy game cuz i never played it)

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
why? who the heck would pay for $25 for a freaking fast travel in a game?????
alsooo, who would even pay for a "hd" version of a 10 year old game

( i dont wanna say crappy game cuz i never played it)
Trust me, the game is indeed "crappy". The game would've been so much better without stamina - it's a needless hindrance that frustrates far more than it benefits - and the Pouch? Hoo boy, did they ever screw up with this ugly nerf, relocating things from the Gear screen (shields, ammo upgrades, two entire Heart Containers) to this limited garbage. Then there's the motion controls, the very reason why Nintendo has to awkwardly adapt an analog stick to swordplay instead of simply using B - it rarely worked as advertised, with the Beetle constantly leaning instead of going straight, sword strikes often hitting in the wrong angle, and the Net spazzing out wildly as if it just watched Electric Soldier Porygon.
Slow Loftwing flight speed, empty sky, having to retread ground several times, the godawful Imprisoned fights (the worst in the series) since all he has to do to win in successfully walk (then later climb, and even fly) out of a spiral canyon to destroy the Temple whilst you're forced to take the slow route (made worse with the bullcrap limited stamina).

At the very least, it's a standard Legend of Zelda game at its core, unlike a certain other game I've already debated about, and can thus be tolerated and beaten. Definitely, definitively a "crappy" game due to its numerous inherent flaws, but it's still a proper Legend of Zelda game.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So yes, BotW is the "worst game in the series" by my reckoning. I've tried to play it multiple times now, and I just can not understand why so many people adore it. It's truly baffling.
With Cemu graphics packs you can turn up the durability. I tuned on 5x greater durability and it feels like they last forever now. I still enjoyed BotW before that, but enjoyed it even more without weapons breaking every freaking 5 minutes. While obviously not the first game to have breakable weapons, it was pretty, pretty annoying how high they had that setting turned up. Classic Ninty decision making.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't want to support such a shitty practice, but I honestly just want the figure because it looks pretty. I wouldn't even use it for this fast travel feature.

Also I didn't really see anything wrong with Skyward Sword as it is. One of my top 3 Zelda games. Bizarre that they're charging as much as they are for an HD port and then slapping this on top.

Randy Steele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So once again Nintendo has forced me to pirate one of their games for not already being way over priced but charging 25 dollars for a feature that should've been in this over priced game. Well I'll probably buy the amiibo anyway just cause I love Zelda stuff like this but I can't justify 60 dollars for this game.
It's insane when EA can do a much better job of actually remaking a whole trilogy and making it worth the money better than Nintendo can. That terrible 3D allstars release set an awful precedent for Nintendo because people ate that crap up and it just let Nintendo know that they can get away with doing the bare minimum of work and charging full price for it when the open source version of Mario 64 had already released on switch and was much better in comparison.

Last edited by Randy Steele,

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Locking away basic QoL features behind enormous and annoying paywalls is not the way to go. I mean, using amiibo's to unlock features should be stuff like costumes and or stuff you could live without, but still not for $25 bucks. For that price, I would assume that when you scan it it'd give you bonus quests or a new mini quest that takes a few hours to play or something. Even then, it's still not that practical. since this is a "remaster" something like that should be already included in it, and if something like that was DLC, it shouldn't be for $25.

Soon, the future will have you paying $120 for games and you have to pay $65 of DLC to actually press start, another $60 to select a save file, another $60 to pick a character etc. lol It probably won't get that bad but I ain't buying either of these.

Welcome to late-stage capitalism

Mebee, but the glorious thing about capitalism is that the consumer has as much freedom as the company. The company can do shitty business practices, and the consumer can choose to buy into it or not buy and hurt the company financially. Neither side is forces to to anything. The company isn't forced to be told how to run a business neither the customer is forced to buy from the government. Yes, many may buy into this, but no system is perfect, and capitalism is still the best because of how free and flexible it is. It's the people's choice whether to buy into this or not, and even if it's frustrating that people will buy when they shouldn't pay for either, it's still their choice. And others will save money buy being smarter and not waste money on bad business practices. It'll catch up with them in the long run anyways.

caUnknown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems like everyone in my area bought it for $30 CAD, and now selling on 3rd party websites for steep prices. Its sold out in stores. Some people are selling in bulk for steep prices. I don't understand this. I'd really want to buy it for my child, but its too expensive. I have .bin file for this amiibo, however its not working with emuiibo tesla ... Can anyone guide me in the direction where i can convert this .bin file to the format where its useable with emuiibo? thanks

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Seems like everyone in my area bought it for $30 CAD, and now selling on 3rd party websites for steep prices. Its sold out in stores. Some people are selling in bulk for steep prices. I don't understand this. I'd really want to buy it for my child, but its too expensive. I have .bin file for this amiibo, however its not working with emuiibo tesla ... Can anyone guide me in the direction where i can convert this .bin file to the format where its useable with emuiibo? thanks
It's already in a usable state. You just need to program a blank NTAG215 with the .BIN file using TagMo on your phone.

Reactions: caUnknown

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?