ROM Hack Translation Star Ocean The Second Story R Name and Honorifics restoration patch

rsc-pl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Disclaimer
If you don't intend to use this patch and only want to comment for trolling purposes, don't bother. The world doesn't need any more clowns. You're not special.

Origins of the project
When I started the game, the first thing that literally drove me insane was the change in how the main female character addresses us. When I hear Claude and see Kenny in the subtitles, I experience a very unpleasant dissonance.
My first thought was to look at the game files and just replace all the instances where Kenny appears instead of Claude.
Due to the fact that the game was created in Unity, fortunately there are already tools for easy editing of game files - including text.
When I was able to find the right tool and extract the text into files, I noticed that the developers brilliantly approached the whole thing of nicknames and honorifics.
Each major character has registered honorifics with which he is addressed by characters in the form of variables.
It looks like this:
[2617]
0 ConstSystemMessage data
1 string messageID = "NOEL_001"
1 string message = "<CN=CHARA_NOEL>さん"
[2618]
1 string messageID = "NOEL_002"
1 string message = "<CN=CHARA_NOEL>先生"
[2619]
1 string messageID = "CHISATO_001"
1 string message = "<CN=CHARA_CHISATO>さん"

It quickly occurred to me that, after all, the original suffixes could easily be restored to the translated text by adding them to the same file from the English version instead of the localized ones.
Unfortunately, I quickly learned that the Western translation completely ruined the concept and used a default variable for the character's name everywhere. Like <CN=CHARA_CHISATO> for Chisato and manually added any localized honorifics (most often they were completely devoid of any form of politeness, just plain name).

However, I checked whether these variables work in Western text. Fortunately, they were working, so I decided that I will replace everything in the text. In fact, each instance had to be swapped manually. There was no way to use regex, because the Western translation had no consistency in the use of titles (and as I mentioned earlier - they were completely ignored).

Thanks to the incredible organization of everything by the original creators, it was easy to find the files and places where the names in question had to be replaced and the variables that were in the original had to be inserted. This, of course, took a really long time, because manually rummaging through thousands of files where at least a few places had to be swapped in each one is a time-consuming process.

As I compared some of the lines in the translation in the process, it came out that the overall translation is pretty good by the extremely low standards of localization of Japanese games, which made me a little relieved (I was considering playing in the original language, like the Xenoblade games, for example - Western versions were literally unplayable for me).

But back to the topic.

Honorifics for something like Hero (Hero-san/sama), any job names (Carpenter-san/sama), Traveller-san/sama etc won't be added. I also didn't touch any military titles. And this is unlikely to change.

Instructions

Install like any other LayeredFS mod in Yuzu or Atmosphere. Should work with Windows version too (just replace the files included in linked archive), but I bought the Switch version, so I can't confirm it. Windows version is encrypted. I don't know if it's Denuvo's fault (which the Windows version has) or something else, but until someone does something about it, the mod will only be compatible with the Nintendo Switch version.
F-NK36JXYAAGv8D.jpg

Changelog

v0.5 (30.03.2024) - Major update. Requires v1.1.0

- merged all changes from 1.1 update (text additions, displayed "face" emotions etc)
- changed fanfic to doujin
- re-translated some doujin descriptions, because some of them were completely different in original script, restored original doujin symbols
- changed censored item name and description - Cola to Beer (ビール)

• Japanese line - 麦芽100%純然たるコクと喉越し ああ、もう夏だ
  • Official English - Although its recipe is unknown, its refreshing taste is known all over the universe.
  • Retranslation: Pure, rich malt flavor with a smooth finish. Ah, it's summer already.
- more missing honorifics restored

All subsequent updates to this project will require update 1.1. The older version of the game will no longer be supported. v0.45 is the last compatible release compatible with 1.0.1.

v0.45 (18.03.2024)
- Fixed (hopefully) everything with Nall's name. Different people address him differently. The suffix -san was also mostly missing. I didn't change it directly in the text, but restored the system names from the original script, which I had already corrected. E.g. <SYS=NPCNAME_111>.
- Centropolis changed to Central City (it's lietrally セントラルシティ)
- Some minor changes to the dialogues. Like 逃げてちゃなんにも変わらない…か。 was "huh." in English script.
- Fixed a bug that caused some honorifics like "oneechan" (お姉ちゃん) used by some people to be displayed in the original language instead of romanized version

v0.4 (15.11.2023)
- Fixed all instances of Leon using "Dude" (oniichan)
- Fixed my mistake (Instead of being called hakase, Leon was called sensei in the subtitles - now it's Dr. Leon as in other cases where characters are called Name-hakase)
- Ninay replaced with <SYS=NPCNAME_130> (Ninay-san) as in the original script
- Applied the dialogue fix from img attached here (credits: エニ)

V0.3 (12.11.2023)
- added missing NPC honorifics
- minor corrections of many sentences

V0.27 (10.11.2023)
- added a missing space before the character's name in one line
- a minor edit of a few sentences

V0.26 (09.11.2023)

V0.25 (07.11.2023)
- fixed missing space in one line (bug from previous version)
- added more honorifics, mainly for NPC characters
- fixed missing <SYS=IMP_079> (healing spells) in one line
- restored names (Ururun, Gyoro)

V0.2 (06.11.2023)
- Added missing honorifics that were used outside variables.

V0.1 (05.11.2023)
- All instances of Kenny replaced to Claude
- Honorifics of all important characters restored to original Japanese ones
- Some minor (for now) dialogue edits
- All A-a, B-b etc replaced to A-A, B-B (B-but -> B-But, for cosmetic reasons)
- All honorifics variables like <SYS=RENA_004> restored to English TL files.

Future plans
It is quite possible that in addition to these changes, I will also make corrections to the translation, if I think there would be a need for it while playing. For now, I will rather focus on imperfections, accidentally omitted honorifics and possible minor fixes. It may happen that in some places the text will not fit in the text bubble, because I had no way to test this while editing the files. I tried to move some of the \n (newline) tags so as to equalize the content of the dialogue, but imperfections will happen (if someone manages to spot one of these, please send me a screenshot or the full sentence that causes this problem).

There may be other bugs that will cause problems for which I take no responsibility.

What exactly was changed
At this point, the whole patch has already become much broader than I had originally anticipated.

There have been more changes to the text than I thought would happen. For the most part, these are minor things (minor things that affect the perception of a character). For example, the text that Welch says after automatically defeating an enemy (being very irritated) - まったく was translated as Hiyaa! (which didn't make any sense at all). In my patch, it is "what a pain" (I considered using "good grief", but decided that that one would fit better) and other stuff like that. There are also some other changes, such as those suggested by users in this thread.
However, this does not change the fact that this translation is nevertheless surprisingly faithful to the original script by official standards, and this is the reason why small imperfections can be easily fixed.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that I didn't assume that many changes in the text, I didn't keep any log of what exactly was changed. It is possible that I will do something like this in the future using a diffchecker.

Attachments

• SO2Unburger-0-45.zip
    986.9 KB · Views: 13
  • SO2Unburger-0-5.zip
    991.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by rsc-pl,

i-snake-z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi, good job, i will try this mod for sure.

After start the game i feel the same as you, "Mr Kenny", wtf? ehehe

Just for curiosity, what program that you use to edit this files?

Thanks
Post automatically merged:

Hi again , I think I found a bug.

Maybe its refering how can rena use healing?

Attachments

• IMG_5917.jpeg
    IMG_5917.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
Last edited by i-snake-z,
Reactions: ImgBrk and rsc-pl

rsc-pl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just for curiosity, what program that you use to edit this files?
uabea nightly build, export to txt, notepad++, import to uabea, save, LZ4 compress (I don't know if it's necessary, but original files are compressed).
Maybe its refering how can rena use healing?
healing spells,
Thanks. Fixed. I'll upload a new version in a moment (with more fixes than just this).
I missed some honorifics for NPC characters.

Last edited by rsc-pl,

i-snake-z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Do you think that is possible to change the render of the graphics in the game ? Maybe there is a file to change that ?

rsc-pl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do you think that is possible to change the render of the graphics in the game ? Maybe there is a file to change that ?
I'll look at it when I have time, but I don't know if I'll be able to do anything about it even if I figure out some settings.

i-snake-z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
With fps locker you can unlock the fps, and the game can run above 30 so I guess we can improve the graphics and the will target 30 fps with some minor overclock. Tomorrow i will try your programs and search for something like that

i-snake-z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think i found something but i try to change some settings but i have some mixed results.

The file is named "data.unity3d" but i switch some settings and save but the game looks worse.

If anyone figure something out, just tell me :)

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think i found something but i try to change some settings but i have some mixed results.

The file is named "data.unity3d" but i switch some settings and save but the game looks worse.

If anyone figure something out, just tell me :)
This file is a general archive for files, it includes also globalgamemanager that stores default graphics settings, though they can be overriden from within code, so it's not always working. Easier is to patch assembly because you won't need to share whole unity3d file and you will be sure it's not overriden.

You can use this readme as reference where are those functions in assembly
https://github.com/masagrator/UnityGraphicsWarehouse

i-snake-z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This file is a general archive for files, it includes also globalgamemanager that stores default graphics settings, though they can be overriden from within code, so it's not always working. Easier is to patch assembly because you won't need to share whole unity3d file and you will be sure it's not overriden.

You can use this readme as reference where are those functions in assembly
https://github.com/masagrator/UnityGraphicsWarehouse
Thanks for the tip i will try, but i am very new to this, i read it, and it feel complicated.

But i will try.

One more question do you know where i can read about all the settings in unity that i can change?

Thanks

i-snake-z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Unity documentation website, mainly "Quality Settings" stuff
Hi again, i install ghidra , but when i open "MAIN" IT asks the language. what is the language?

Edit:
i figured i think i install this extention (Ghidra-Switch-Loader)

edit2:
i think is something similar to this post GBATEMP

Another question that i have is in yout github page you say "You should now have all lines only with 8 characters in each line. Select them all, copy it and paste in hex editor to hex window, f.e. by using HxD."

i dont understand how to convert the template do hex file, can you clarify a bit.

Sorry, i am really new to this :)

Last edited by i-snake-z,

rsc-pl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
V0.26 (09.11.2023)

Side Note:
Windows version is encrypted. I don't know if it's Denuvo's fault (which the Windows version has) or something else, but until someone does something about it, the mod will only be compatible with the Nintendo Switch version.

Last edited by rsc-pl,

Cerzel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you want to work on translation corrections, I've seen a few problems mentioned so far. The first is in the PA for recruiting Precis: In English her father says that she's "bringing strange men around", implying that this happens often, whereas in Japanese he tells her that she should tell him if she's going to bring a guy home, like she says to him regarding Rena. The second is in the post-game dungeon: the hint text for the puzzle on 2F for Sharon talks about forbidden love in Japanese, with it being forbidden being removed from the localization when that's a key part of the hint. Another one is that in Reel's introduction she has this weird almost non-sequitur line when introducing herself where she says she likes fishing and fish and then as a new sentence she adds "What a cute girl!". Going by the Japanese, this would be better if the line was revised to say "I'm just a cute girl who likes fishing...", rephrasing the lines. The newly added dialogue in the remake is sometimes awkwardly translated like that.
Also, the luxury grape juice item is wine in Japanese, likewise the cola item is beer in Japanese. The Aeterna weapon for Claude is the Eternal Sphere in Japanese, a name that clearly references other things from the series. I think that's it.

By localization standards this game is remarkably faithful. I don't think there's much more that could need to be fixed.

Reactions: rsc-pl

rsc-pl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you want to work on translation corrections, I've seen a few problems mentioned so far. The first is in the PA for recruiting Precis: In English her father says that she's "bringing strange men around", implying that this happens often, whereas in Japanese he tells her that she should tell him if she's going to bring a guy home, like she says to him regarding Rena.
There are some instances where people are talking to Rena that "you found yourself a new man" (and something similar) which implies that it happens often which is obviously not true, because there's no such implication in original script. I have already corrected these few lines.

The second is in the post-game dungeon: the hint text for the puzzle on 2F for Sharon talks about forbidden love in Japanese, with it being forbidden being removed from the localization when that's a key part of the hint
Do you know what exactly is written in English or Japanese (a few words following each other will do)? I would try to find those lines in the text and correct them now.

By localization standards this game is remarkably faithful.
Yeah, I'm quite shocked.
Especially since the publisher is Square, and the vast majority of games published by Square have terrible translations.
Thanks for the hints! :)

Cerzel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There are some instances where people are talking to Rena that "you found yourself a new man" (and something similar) which implies that it happens often which is obviously not true, because there's no such implication in original script. I have already corrected these few lines.
Ah, you're already on top of things there.
Do you know what exactly is written in English or Japanese (a few words following each other will do)? I would try to find those lines in the text and correct them now.
The English text is "Sharon pined for a love that would never be", while the Japanese line is "シャロンの決して実らぬ禁断の恋". It's all part of the same text string as the rest of the hints, if that helps. Incidentally, I also noticed that in Japanese that interaction presents all the hints line by line and they're easy to read, but in English it spits them all out rapidly with no formatting or pauses for some reason, so it's really hard to read.
Yeah, I'm quite shocked.
Especially since the publisher is Square, and the vast majority of games published by Square have terrible translations.
Thanks for the hints! :)
Yeah, I think it's probably a blessing that they just reused the PSP translation instead of redoing it, because that definitely would've been a disaster given SE's recent releases.
Thanks for your work.

Reactions: rsc-pl

rsc-pl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The English text is "Sharon pined for a love that would never be", while the Japanese line is "シャロンの決して実らぬ禁断の恋". It's all part of the same text string as the rest of the hints, if that helps. Incidentally, I also noticed that in Japanese that interaction presents all the hints line by line and they're easy to read, but in English it spits them all out rapidly with no formatting or pauses for some reason, so it's really hard to read.
少女ミレーヌの告白
それはルークと少女の、淡い恋物語の始まり
フェリアの情愛はふたりの仲を断ちかねず
ロイドは孤独な少女を想い続ける
ユフィが密かに想いを寄せるのは若者ロイド
シャロンの決して実らぬ禁断の恋
システィーナはひとり、空を見つめ続ける
I haven't gotten to that point yet, but it does indeed sound like some kind of riddle in the original. In the English script it sounds like a synopsis of the story. Seemingly very much the same, but yet the overtones are completely different.
Post automatically merged:

V0.27 (10.11.2023)
- added a missing space before the character's name in one line

Last edited by rsc-pl,

Idaten

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Super cool patch. Thanks for making the experience of playing this game better. I’d suggest changing one line at the very beginning where Claude is saying “where the hell am I” to “what is this place” or something other less aggressive (his voice tone is more like he’s confused and worried than angry).

rsc-pl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
v0.4
- Fixed all instances of Leon using "Dude" (oniichan)
- Fixed my mistake (Instead of being called hakase, Leon was called sensei in the subtitles - now it's Dr. Leon as in other cases where characters are called Name-hakase)
- Ninay replaced with <SYS=NPCNAME_130> (Ninay-san) as in the original script
- Applied the dialogue fix from attached image (credits: エニ)

Attachments

• F_QmYNCXsAA8OXR.jpg
    F_QmYNCXsAA8OXR.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: k7ra and SkullHex2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto