by-passing a game update and just playing the game on wii u: possible? (breath of the wild, specifically.)

unconsoleable

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, i’ve played breath of the wild quite extensively on my switch. but i remember seeing an exploit for “unlimited” ancient gear (involves a decayed guardian on the great plateau), which you can, in turn, turn around and sell for buku rupees.

however, this got patched by the time i was made aware of it, so i never got to do it.

i know after installing breath of the wild on my wii u, it’s going to prompt me to update (well, maybe not even prompt) to a version that (probably) patches this exploit.

too long, didn’t read: is there a way to bypass this breath of the wild exploit patch update, or even block it?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think so, through the versions.bin. it requires hex editing the file. it's in hex, but the version is decimal, so you can convert one to the other. put in a version higher than the latest version, see if it works.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it may only be for downgrading, but what you could do possibly is block the eshop with your router or through a dns. I don't think it will download the update in that event or it will be blocked if you accidentally click okay.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could modify the versions.bin if you do install an update, then reinstall the base game again or whatever update is needed. however, first, block the eshop. you can still access the eshop with dns by using nnu patcher or even download updates via that app. that's all I can think of that will allow you to maintain a block. sorry for the triple post, but I want to make sure you at least read this post.

SRKTiberious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, i’ve played breath of the wild quite extensively on my switch. but i remember seeing an exploit for “unlimited” ancient gear (involves a decayed guardian on the great plateau), which you can, in turn, turn around and sell for buku rupees.

however, this got patched by the time i was made aware of it, so i never got to do it.

i know after installing breath of the wild on my wii u, it’s going to prompt me to update (well, maybe not even prompt) to a version that (probably) patches this exploit.

too long, didn’t read: is there a way to bypass this breath of the wild exploit patch update, or even block it?
You don't even need to downgrade the game version. There's still 4 of those decayed guardians that the trick works with, but it's a little harder to set up.

wii u cheating.
Trophies
XP
You don't even need to downgrade the game version. There's still 4 of those decayed guardians that the trick works with, but it's a little harder to set up.

To be fair on Wii U as well it's incredibly easy to just load a TCP program and use a infinite rupees code. Since you're basically cheating the game anyways might be easier than exploiting / farming to get the same effect.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not exactly sure how it works, but updates are in the versions.bin. however, what's updated with the version is the base game. often times, updates with have 00 00 iirc as the version is two bytes. you may be able to remove the update by padding it with F's, but I've never tried it. I don't think deleting it is safe, because the versions.bin, seems to have locations for games. dlc already established, even if the stuff isn't installed. it does not contain dlc, but I think the first thing in the file is the os. if you ever mess with it, be very careful considering.

SRKTiberious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair on Wii U as well it's incredibly easy to just load a TCP program and use a infinite rupees code. Since you're basically cheating the game anyways might be easier than exploiting / farming to get the same effect.
That... actually sounds pretty silly. This infinite parts glitch is an oversight caused by how the game handles objects in an open world with (hardly) no loading zones. Nothing external is required to use it, and it can be done even on a stock console. Your suggestion requires modding, and even though the version OP wants to use also requires modding, I've shown a method that can be done even today if you've never even heard of this website.

A good comparison is if you said "Why do the Mew glitch? Just use Game Shark, bro" to someone asking about Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow.

Trophies
XP
That... actually sounds pretty silly. This infinite parts glitch is an oversight caused by how the game handles objects in an open world with (hardly) no loading zones. Nothing external is required to use it, and it can be done even on a stock console. Your suggestion requires modding, and even though the version OP wants to use also requires modding, I've shown a method that can be done even today if you've never even heard of this website.

A good comparison is if you said "Why do the Mew glitch? Just use Game Shark, bro" to someone asking about Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow.
Fair point, I've always just found hacking / cheating games much easier :) Maybe it's just a personal preference of mine, but whatever :P

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just reread the op. If you installed a later update, you would have to modify the versions.bin. if you don't, the system will not let you play the game after installing base without updating the game, since the version of the game is lower than the versions.bin's. The versions.bin does not change the version if you uninstall.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why is everyone thinking that complicated? No need to hack a file, no need to airgap the console, no need for anything. All you need to do is to click a button:
IMG_20220609_080240.jpg

1654754659229.png

And e voila: The game starts without the update!

Trophies
XP
Why is everyone thinking that complicated? No need to hack a file, no need to airgap the console, no need for anything. All you need to do is to click a button:
View attachment 313041
View attachment 313042
And e voila: The game starts without the update!
Yes but it also proceeds to keep downloading the update in the backround, upon next launch it'll automatically start installing the update which you can't press start after it's commenced, only press home to abort the process. I personally think that if they want to permenately play a version of the game, long-term it'd be simpler than having to delete the update data everytime they wanted to play. You are right though, most of the solutions presented are overly complicated, especially when one could just disconnect from Wifi when they want to play the game ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission