Hacking Beginner's guide: launch hacks, game backups and homebrews on WiiU & vWii

• Thread starter xem
  • Start date
  • Views 468,167
  • Replies 290
  • Likes 15

xem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi guys, I finally followed my own meta-guide and hacked my vWii.

Game used: Super Smash Bros Brawl. Material used: 2GB SD card + 320GB USB2 HDD with Y-power cable, formatted in NTFS.

It wasn't easy.

Here are the traps I've fallen into:

- I have a PAL wiiu. On the Smash Stack page, the main download link is NOT suitable for PAL wiius. You have to scroll and download the "unofficial KOR/PAL" exploit. D'uh.

- The unofficial kor/pal smash stack download doesn't work, had to go on internet archive to find its last version.

- Only 3 wii backups dared to start with wiiflow, from the 60 wbfs files present on my hard drive. Even worse, USB Loader GX couldn't find any game on the disk. Turned out, I had to install d2x cios "beta 52 vwii" and not "beta 53 alt vwii".
Reinstalling the beta 52 over the beta 53 alt made it work perfectly.
So, avoid beta 53 if you're have the same setup as me.

A few more details (not traps, but interesting):

- The homebrew "Multi-mod manager" does not require a non-motion-plus wiimote anymore. A motion-plus one works fine.
- The PC software "wii backup manager" is great to reorganize the files / folders automatically inside your wbfs directory and to download all the game covers of your games.
- You can copy the covers folder produced by wii backup manager on your HDD and go into USB Loader GX's settings to set the path of your box & disc covers.
- It's easy to install a forwarder for wiiflow, but for USB Loader GX, I'm not sure how to do it. The tutorials are not very clear about this procedure. Any help?

Thanks!

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, avoid beta 53 if you're have the same setup as me.

note to that: the difference between 52 and 53 is the usb driver so you really cant say which driver will work better, the nice thing about the 53 driver is that it can use both port 0 and port 1 for hdds and 52 can only use port 0.

Reactions: Margen67

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
where are located your wbfs files?

USBLoaderGX doesn't work with all possible paths.
/wbfs/Title/GameID.wbfs is not working. (and unfortunately, it's the default path layout set in WiiBackupManager)

The best choice is "Title [ID]" as subfolder in WiiBackupManager, and enable the option to "automatically fix names at mount".
/wbfs/Wii Play [RHAP01]/RHAP01.wbfs

Nothing more is required, USBLoaderGX defaults settings are good enough to play games.

As for the forwarder for GX, you need a wad manager and install this channel :
USB Loader GX-UNEO_Forwarder_5_1_AHBPROT_vWii (Fix).wad

xem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the forwarder! I'll try it soon.

And yeah, I didn't say it clearly but since I installed beta52, usb loader GX works fine and plays all my games. And thanks to a hidden option of wii backup manager I have the good arborescence in my wbfs folder ;)

before beta52 it looked as if USB Loader GX couldn't find / read my HDD. Whatever!

Thanks!

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hehe, I don't know, I invented nothing, I've just written what I've read on other topics, or in the comments of this topic. And what I've read includes "maybe warez".

I didn't mean that. the only thing I know is that the expoit will be released soon, and that it'll potentially allow piracy. or not. I don't know.

everything is important in this thread, I think I mentioned the importance of backing up the ios and keys of the vwii, didn't I? And I never heard of this IOS 236, and I don't understand what it's for exactly and if it's risky to use it. Any clues?
Oh. Ok. Got too hype for a second.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

csgolawliet

Trophies
XP
Country
i still feeling a bit lost with all the kernel stuff, as i said in other threads, its the first time i go outside the Android homebrew :wacko:

xem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
First time too since the plug and play flashcards of the GBA/DS/3DS, and I also don't know very much what will this kernel exploit will mean, who makes it, and if we'll be able to play wiiu/eshop games with it someday... wait and see!

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be theoretically possible to create a backup loader with just the kernel exploit. Since the kernel exploit allows game files to be patched, what would happen if we patched every file in a game with files from another game? That would be like clicking on Mario Kart 8, then Captain Toad:Treasure Tracker loads! The user would need to have one legitimate Wii U game, but I don't think many people would complain (much) about that requirement. Some games like Nintendo Land can be found for less than $20!

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be theoretically possible to create a backup loader with just the kernel exploit. Since the kernel exploit allows game files to be patched, what would happen if we patched every file in a game with files from another game? That would be like clicking on Mario Kart 8, then Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker loads! The user would need to have one legitimate Wii U game, but I don't think many people would complain (much) about that requirement. Some games like Nintendo Land can be found for less than $20!

So basically game injection like the VC games. It could work if someone tried hard enough

Loading times would be agonizing, though ;)

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be theoretically possible to create a backup loader with just the kernel exploit. Since the kernel exploit allows game files to be patched, what would happen if we patched every file in a game with files from another game? That would be like clicking on Mario Kart 8, then Captain Toad:Treasure Tracker loads! The user would need to have one legitimate Wii U game, but I don't think many people would complain (much) about that requirement. Some games like Nintendo Land can be found for less than $20!

Shhhhhhhh

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The hard part is loading the game RPX correctly, since Cafiine doesn't replace that.

Reactions: Mr. Mysterio

normal19

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I have a Wii U on 5.0.0. Is there any real reason to stay on it or should I just update? That old browser exploit POC worked on it.

And just to be sure, if I update Wii U, will I need to reinstall vWii exploit?

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Wii U on 5.0.0. Is there any real reason to stay on it or should I just update? That old browser exploit POC worked on it.

And just to be sure, if I update Wii U, will I need to reinstall vWii exploit?

Not really, you're better off updating and enjoying your console (unless you wanna mess around with the very limited stuff we've made like my drawing app :P). Also, no, vWii should be intact.

Hopefully this means we will be able to rip models from games. :download:
Yes, and a whole lot more :P I already have access to tons of models, if you ask nicely I could get you some.

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really, you're better off updating and enjoying your console (unless you wanna mess around with the very limited stuff we've made like my drawing app :P). Also, no, vWii should be intact.

Yes, and a whole lot more :P I already have access to tons of models, if you ask nicely I could get you some.
Do you have the Final Destination from Brawl? The ones from models resource don't work in Blender.

normal19

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan

Thanks for the answer. I bought it a while back but never touched it because I was waiting for a big announcement but I wasn't following the scene too closely. Also I for one am really interested what's lurking in the Splatoon demo.

Also my Wii U was actually 4.1.0 lol

ole

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Actually my dream homebrew situation for Wii U/vWii would be:

vWii with access to all the extra Wii U hardware. (Custom cIOS/drivers for homebrew apps to take advantage of 3 cores, higher speed, more ram, gamepad controller and 1080p output/rendering)
Wii U "forwarders" to spesific apps on the vWii (So it would be possible to launch vWii emulators/apps etc directly from Wii U)

This way both the original Wii and Wii U would benefit from each other, as Wii already have alot of homebrew, and with the addition of better homebrew for the vWii I think that would bleed over to the Wii aswell..

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually my dream homebrew situation for Wii U/vWii would be:

vWii with access to all the extra Wii U hardware. (Custom cIOS/drivers for homebrew apps to take advantage of 3 cores, higher speed, more ram, gamepad controller and 1080p output/rendering)
Wii U "forwarders" to spesific apps on the vWii (So it would be possible to launch vWii emulators/apps etc directly from Wii U)

This way both the original Wii and Wii U would benefit from each other, as Wii already have alot of homebrew, and with the addition of better homebrew for the vWii I think that would bleed over to the Wii aswell..
That's a great wishlist. If Dolphin can render HD (with the Pikmin 60FPS) than so can Wii U. Plus I'll be able to use Nintendont with the Gamepad controller in 3 cores.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated