Hacking Beginner's guide: launch hacks, game backups and homebrews on WiiU & vWii

• Thread starter xem
  • Start date
  • Views 467,980
  • Replies 290
  • Likes 15

ultracamp

lol wut
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I would like to play a Wii game (Punch Out) on a Wii U (Firmware 5.5.1.) through a SD card/USB drive. Is this possible or not? The OP hasn't been updated since January and says 5.3.2 is the latest safe firmware.

And does the "Pro" controller work with GameCube games?

Last edited by ultracamp,

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to play a Wii game (Punch Out) on a Wii U (Firmware 5.5.1.) through a SD card/USB drive. Is this possible or not? The OP hasn't been updated since January and says 5.3.2 is the latest safe firmware.

vWii has always been hackable, just gotta use a physical game like Brawl or LEGO Indiana Jones, no fancy Letterbomb here. The Pro might, Nintendont has support for a bunch of stuff in a controller package. Make sure you use vWii specific stuff or your vWii will brick, there's no way to restore it right now, would need to format it from IOSU kernel cause it has access to NAND and can switch banks.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vWii has always been hackable, just gotta use a physical game like Brawl or LEGO Indiana Jones, no fancy Letterbomb here. The Pro might, Nintendont has support for a bunch of stuff in a controller package. Make sure you use vWii specific stuff or your vWii will brick, there's no way to restore it right now, would need to format it from IOSU kernel cause it has access to NAND and can switch banks.
You're such a tease ;)

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for the necrobump. >.>

Use this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/

And please read the stickies from now on. No need to bump an outdated guide when two perfectly good and up to date ones are on the front page.

If you have further questions, let me know by replying in the thread I linked.

Marcus101RR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/beginne...me-backups-and-homebrews-on-wiiu-vwii.388448/

PLEASE NOTE: The wiiU insists on formatting the SD Card/USB storage device, I refused as it wasn't stated in the guide that it is necessary. If this step was required then it should be included in the those instructions.

I have a Wii U 5.5.1 and SD Card, when I try to goto WiiUBru site to install the apps it just freezes at white screen and nothing happens. I waited 5 minutes still not results. I had to force shut down the entire console and nothing changed.

What am I doing wrong here? I followed the guide as it says, and did nothing else.

I even followed this: https://www.psxhax.com/threads/hack...a-wiiubru-go-jailbreak-without-pc-guide.1265/

The result was the same. So clearly there is more to do than just insert an SD and goto a site. There is a presetup needed or there is something wrong elsewhere. A noob guide with details would be appreciated.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/beginne...me-backups-and-homebrews-on-wiiu-vwii.388448/

PLEASE NOTE: The wiiU insists on formatting the SD Card/USB storage device, I refused as it wasn't stated in the guide that it is necessary. If this step was required then it should be included in the those instructions.

I have a Wii U 5.5.1 and SD Card, when I try to goto WiiUBru site to install the apps it just freezes at white screen and nothing happens. I waited 5 minutes still not results. I had to force shut down the entire console and nothing changed.

What am I doing wrong here? I followed the guide as it says, and did nothing else.

I even followed this: https://www.psxhax.com/threads/hack...a-wiiubru-go-jailbreak-without-pc-guide.1265/

The result was the same. So clearly there is more to do than just insert an SD and goto a site. There is a presetup needed or there is something wrong elsewhere. A noob guide with details would be appreciated.
It's not that, it's more that the entire MP4 payload needs to get to the Wii U before it executes and some server setups work for some people and others don't, try using loadiine.ovh to get into HBL or whatever else you might need to access and see if that works better, it might also be the SD card, go into vanilla Mii Maker and choose the bottom option and save any Mii QR to the SD card, doesn't matter what, just makes the Wii U fix whatever's confusing it, and then take it out and put it back in and then go into the browser and try again

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not that, it's more that the entire MP4 payload needs to get to the Wii U before it executes and some server setups work for some people and others don't, try using loadiine.ovh to get into HBL or whatever else you might need to access and see if that works better, it might also be the SD card, go into vanilla Mii Maker and choose the bottom option and save any Mii QR to the SD card, doesn't matter what, just makes the Wii U fix whatever's confusing it, and then take it out and put it back in and then go into the browser and try again
It's the PHP code cybernatus built in. You can find the same code here: loadiine.ovh/kafluke

Reactions: NWPlayer123

Vertx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm sorry I am kind of new at this hole thing, so excuse me if i get something wrong but, while downloading a backup of a game into my Wii U, it updated itself since and at the time I didn't know how to prevent updates, anyway, my question is:
Is there a new version on the works for 5.5.2? And if there isn't how can i downgrade into a previous working version?
Thank you.

tunip3

[debugger active]
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Sorry for this thread if it's redundant but it seemed useful to me.

I'm a beginner in WiiU hacking, I've read all the sticky topics (and many non sticky ones) here and on other sites, and I'd like to summarize all the information we have today about hacking Wiiu and vWii and playing Gamecube, Wii and WiiU games and homebrews.

With your help, this thread could become a simple guide for new people arriving on this forum and wondering (like me) what they have to do and in which order. (which is generally not very clear on the other threads)

So please correct me if I say something wrong and complete me if I forgot something :)

last update: 18 january 2016

- Latest WiiU firmware : 5.5.1
- Latest safe WiiU firmware version: 5.3.2.
- Some WiiU backups can be played on firmwares 5.3.2 and lower, using Loadiine.
- IOSU is being developed for firmwares 5.5.1 and lower.
- Stay on 5.3.2 if you want to use current exploits.
- Stay on 5.4.0 if you want to use mp4 exploits with loadiine GX2 (not all homebrew ported yet).
- Stay on 5.5.1 if you want to play retail games online while you wait for Hykem's exploit.
- Don't update if you want to use current of future exploits.
- Latest HackMii version: 1.2
- Latest d2x cIOS: d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii / d2x-v10-beta52-vWii
- Latest d2x cIOS installer: FIX94s d2x cIOS Installer 2.2 mod

1) Installing WiiU updates

- Latest online update is now 5.5.1 and is not safe for WiiU hacking. If you want to update to the latest exploitable version you will need to update using a game disc : Mario party 10 or Splatoon.
- Do not allow standby, Do not use Quick start menu without a network filter as it will silently update and install the latest version.
- You can block all online updates (and eshop access) by blocking Nintendo's update servers by configuring your WiiU or your network, or by completely disabling the WiiU's internet configuration.

Domains to block to prevent future updates:
  • nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
  • nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
  • nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
  • nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
  • nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
More info about how to block updates here (see section "3.")

2) Hacking the WiiU to play WiiU game backups, WiiU eShop titles and homebrews

- See https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.396828/

3) Hacking the vWii to play Wii game backups, WiiWare titles and homebrews

- This is possible!
- You'll need a SD card (less or equal than 2GB) + an external USB Hard Disk (with double-USB power or external power (optional) + one of these Wii games:

• LEGO Batman
  • Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
  • LEGO Indiana Jones
  • LEGO Star Wars
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Wheelie Breakers
- Follow a guide explaining how to install Homebrew Channel on vWii (not Wii!) using HackMii, like this one or this one (in french).

- Follow a guide explaining how to backup your unique vWii "NAND" and "keys" (backing up your NAND and keys is useful to restore your configuration in case of error), like this one.

- Follow a guide explaining how to install the latest "d2x cIOS" (installing a cIOS is mandatory to install backup launchers), like this one or this one (in french).

- Follow a guide explaining how to install a backup launcher like WiiFlow or USB Loader GX, like this one or this one (in french).

- Install your Wii games ("ISOs") on your SD card / USB hard drive.

- Optional: Follow a guide to install a channel forwarder (to avoid launching the homebrew channel every time), like this one or this one (in french).

- Enjoy!

4) Playing Gamecube game backups and homebrews

- Hack the vWii and install Homebrew Channel. (cIOS is not necessary)

- Install Nintendont on your vWii

- Install your games on a SD card / USB hard drive (respect the files names and paths asked on the page above)

- Enjoy!

Warning

- Please read the sticky topics, especially basic do's and do not's to avoid serious damages!

- It's okay to install the "cIOS" mentioned above. On the other hand, you should avoid patching the vWii "IOS" unless you know what you're doing, (and if you do it, don't patch an IOS lower than 80). IOS 236 seems to be made to help recover from a bad operation.
Hykem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SugoiEndeavor @ SugoiEndeavor: What's up bakaz