Hacking Wood R4 BUGS and Compatibility

matix2267

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Great stuff. This list is more of a wish list than a bug report but in the next version I'd like to see (also I added a rating how important those features are for me and how hard would they be (I think) to implement):

1. automatically update time stamp of save files when loading game (very important/very easy)
2. add the option to make backups of saves without copying them to another slot (like Y-Y on save file then A to confirm and same procedure to restore) with different icon for backups (important/quite easy)
3. an option in settings to change behavior of select button (change the files that are being shown eg. NDS only/NDS+SAV instead of changing the way they are shown) (can wait/pretty hard)
4. backup settings before overwriting them (I accidentally pressed R when I was turning DS off and the settings file became corrupted and it restored default settings) (can wait/easy)
5. an option to automatically make backups of saves before launching the game (unimportant/easy if you use a function to copy&move files)
6. option to swap R and L buttons functionality (I can't wait for this one/pretty hard as that would require updating language files)

If I get to understand wood's source code and compile it successfully then I might even help you but the problem is that C++ is read only code (It's very hard to understand someone's code and the easiest way to use it is by using libraries)

Lumnous

Trophies
XP
Country
matix2267 said:
Great stuff. This list is more of a wish list than a bug report but in the next version I'd like to see (also I added a rating how important those features are for me and how hard would they be (I think) to implement):

1. automatically update time stamp of save files when loading game (very important/very easy)
2. add the option to make backups of saves without copying them to another slot (like Y-Y on save file then A to confirm and same procedure to restore) with different icon for backups (important/quite easy)
3. an option in settings to change behavior of select button (change the files that are being shown eg. NDS only/NDS+SAV instead of changing the way they are shown) (can wait/pretty hard)
4. backup settings before overwriting them (I accidentally pressed R when I was turning DS off and the settings file became corrupted and it restored default settings) (can wait/easy)
5. an option to automatically make backups of saves before launching the game (unimportant/easy if you use a function to copy&move files)
6. option to swap R and L buttons functionality (I can't wait for this one/pretty hard as that would require updating language files)

If I get to understand wood's source code and compile it successfully then I might even help you but the problem is that C++ is read only code (It's very hard to understand someone's code and the easiest way to use it is by using libraries)
Would you not say this should go into the wood r4s suggestion thread? i mean lots of it seems to be.

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Stropdasje said:
EDIT: this is fishy. The very same SD that had a hangup yesterday now works. Same procedure, same files, different results. I guess it will be hard to track this one down with no stable way to reproduce the problem. Also my 2 GB now works. The only thing that is different is the time of day and date and that I charged the DS over night. By the way, I never had a problem with copy/pasting files so file access in general works okay.
I read about someone having huge issues with his microSD and he discovered that it was DSorganize causing the problems. I see you're using it too.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Miser said:
I read about someone having huge issues with his microSD and he discovered that it was DSorganize causing the problems. I see you're using it too.
Any and all homebrew can't do anything to the microSD unless he used it in between the times when he was testing all of this, in which case it would be very apparent in that before DSO it works, after DSO it doesn't. The only real problem certain homebrew can cause would be an already corrupted file, a large number of external files (slows down microSD if the mSD has a slow read speed...and maybe write speed too), but apart from that, there isn't any problem with putting homebrew on a microSD.

horokeu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
4906 - Captain Tsubasa - Gekitou no Kiseki

Its a soccer game based on a famous anime (well, at least famous for non-americans
yaywii.gif
)

The game loads normally, but freezes at the begin of the first match.

Not exactly a freezing issue. Its more like that bug with Super Princess Peach on No$gba where the game stops. You can still listen to the game bgm, but nothing happens.

Finott

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
DS #4910: Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Masou Kishin - The Lord of Elemental

The game loads normally, but failed in protection
(100% to get attacked by emeny and killed in one hit, no matter you used 100% evade or not.)
(after you defected the emeny, no exp and money gained in the battle.)
and failed to save.

Stropdasje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Miser said:
Stropdasje said:
EDIT: this is fishy. The very same SD that had a hangup yesterday now works. Same procedure, same files, different results. I guess it will be hard to track this one down with no stable way to reproduce the problem. Also my 2 GB now works. The only thing that is different is the time of day and date and that I charged the DS over night. By the way, I never had a problem with copy/pasting files so file access in general works okay.
That can't be the problem. It was formatted with the Panasonic formatter, then added Wood R4, then the folders files and then the commercial rom. After booting only the commercial rom is started to create a save file and after a reset Wood R4 is used to copy it to save another slot. So none of the other software was ever executed and therefore only consuming disk space. Also the problem occurred on another SD without DSOrganize.

I haven't done any further test but I suspect the problem occurs when the DS is not fully changed (or even nearing complete depletion). Maybe reading and writing the SD simultaneously causes so much load on the DS power that the last update to the SD (creating a directory entry) fails. I see the S1 icon flickering when copying is in progress, only in the end the copied data doesn't show up.

Gamer5501

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lemon2 said:
I've installed Wood v1.07, in order to play WarioWare DIY.

The game has loaded, i've played it, but when i've started my DS again, i got an "SD/TF card error" :/

I've read some threads here and used Zero Assumption Recovery to recover my saves, because my pc cant read my µSD anymore (havent test the saves yet)

I hope i wont get this SD/TF card error anymore... Can it come from WarioWare? (i think i hadnt enough free space on the µSD for the save...)

i had the same thing. i think it is WarioWare.

Gamer5501

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Game name: Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow
Release number: #4904
CRC: ?
Clean ROM: YES
What the bug is: Doesn't get passed the main menu
How you can repeat the bug: Start the game and wait for the main menu to come up

Stropdasje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Gamer5501 said:
lemon2 said:
I've installed Wood v1.07, in order to play WarioWare DIY.
The game has loaded, i've played it, but when i've started my DS again, i got an "SD/TF card error" :/
i had the same thing. i think it is WarioWare.
Beware that WarioWare DIY uses a non standard (not 512 kB) save size. I don't know what happens if the save file is 512 kB and WarioWare DIY tries to save its 32 MB save data. It may well overwrite outside the allocated space and destroy the disk administration (FAT filesystem). Without the administration the R4 (or PC) can no longer read which files are on the SD and where all the parts of the files are stored. Also files may be overwitten by the WarioWare save data. You can try to recover the files with recuva (or similar tool) but the chances of success are slim. To use the SD it has to be formatted again, then put back the files from a backup (you do have one, do you?) and optionally try if any on the recovered data is valid.

I don't know how to set the correct save size for WarioWare DIY. Wood R4 1.07 had "r4 hardware supports only an 8 megabyte save size. added workaround for warioware games. problems with music and comics should be gone." in the change log so there is a workaround apparently. The game dialog only allows you to use up to 8 Mb (= 1024 kB).

Anyway, I do not think its a Wood R4 1.07 bug. It's most likely a user error. Maybe the too small save file was already created by Wood R4 1.06 or other firmware?

logical thinker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Game name: Jam with the Band (EUR)
Release number: 4951
CRC: ?
Clean ROM: YES
What the bug is: Actually, I just want a confirmation from YWG if the save type is correct. Wood creates a 32MByte (256Mbit) save, but I think the correct is 4MByte (32Mbit), because the Japanese version of the game creates a 8MByte (64Mbit) save and has 100 download slots (against 50 of the EUR version). That is the only evidence I have.

EDIT
Actually, 100 download slots and 100 "score" (custom, the songs you create) slots for the JPN version, 50 and 100 for the EUR version. So maybe the save chip is the same (8MByte (64Mbit))?

z.g

Trophies
XP
Country
logical thinker said:
What the bug is: Actually, I just want a confirmation from YWG if the save type is correct. Wood creates a 32MByte (256Mbit) save, but I think the correct is 4MByte (32Mbit), because the Japanese version of the game creates a 8MByte (64Mbit) save and has 100 download slots (against 50 of the EUR version). That is the only evidence I have.
afaik euro version not the same as japan. japan use common backup chip only bigger size. euro version use nand flash like warioware games. they even have different serials. so possible warioware nand emulation used — 32mbyte save
wink.gif

Stropdasje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
kid709 said:
um i installed it on my r4 and yugioh world champ 2010 still wont work
On http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list it is reported as working. Maybe you have a patched rom and not a clean rom? Try to get another one and try again.

By the way, its reported as working on Wood R4 1.07, but you can also try the new Wood R4 1.08 of course.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Game name: Jam with the Band
Release number: #4900
CRC: ???????????
Clean ROM: Yep
What the bug is: Lags during saving
How you can repeat the bug: Finish something that makes the game save

I think this bug causes saving to take longer than it actually should.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also