Emulation DeSmuME version 0.9.13 was released!

AsPika2219

Pikachu going beach!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Ladies and gentlement! Then new version of Desmume was released!

CHANGELOG

0.9.12 -> 0.9.13

In this version we have added support for high-resolution 3D rendering. Try the new "GPU Scaling Factor" feature to increase the 3D resolution beyond the native resolution of 256x192 pixels. Also, the Cocoa frontend sees continued radical enhancements and while the Windows frontend sees some new incremental enhancements.

Documentation: Update all URLs to match.
- Also fix a bug in the Cocoa port with copying the troubleshooting info to the Clipboard.

General/Core:

bug: numerous host compatibility and accuracy improvements to OpenGL renderer, tho off-by-1 sampling bugs will remain.
bug: fixes to 'edge marking', shadows, box tests, maths & depths precision, and some other rarer 3d rendering usecases
bug: fixes to AR cheat processing
bug: fixes to cheat database game identification
bug: fix interpolation at SPU loop points, emulation of SPU half/byte size registers & others
bug: backlight emulation added (for fade effects)
bug: other small ongoing fixes to 2d rendering and GPU memory maps
bug: emulate slot-1 read timings, probably for AP-related purposes
bug: general improvement to hardware component power-off state handling, especially 3d engine
bug: fix virtual fat (homebrew) building in environment with symlinks
bug: fix some rarely-bugged CPU instructions
bug: fix bugs in homebrew filesystems
bug: fix bugs in big-endian hosts
bug: fix loading gzipped files and some newer rars
bug: fix inconsistencies and omissions in command-line processing
bug: extensive improvement to wifi emulation, though wifi is still not supported.
bug: firmware file settings/management now behaves more or less sensibly as advertised
bug: fix movie (dsm) being bitrotted and failing to sync settings or manage sram properly
enh: movie (dsm) add record from state feature
enh: high-resolution 3d rendering, from 1x-16x the native resolution of 256x192 pixels
enh: texture upscaling for 3d rendering, from 1x-4x the native texture size
enh: texture smoothing option for OpenGL renderer
enh: user-selectable internal GPU bpp 15/18/24 to change from accuracy to attractiveness
enh: game-specific hacks library finally implemented internally, user-selectable.
enh: game-specific hack for popular games that randomly corrupt their sprites when going in and out of doors
enh: officially supported arm and arm64 jits and overall improvements on arm hosts
enh: emulator now makes "(backups)" states on every loadstate, for in case you hit loadstate on accident
enh: User-selectable MSAA level for OpenGL renderer.
enh: "interface" for dll/so control of a desmume core
enh: optimizations, cpu arch-specific, and otherwise, to all 3d and 2d rendering, ranging from SSE to AVX2
enh: lua - Add raw joystick API and setlayermask API (windows only)
enh: lua - Add gamecode APU for game-specific hacks in scripts and 'freelook' script functionality
enh: add options to emulate game cards more badly, to trip AP on purpose
enh: fix some save type / slot type autodetections and save memory import codepaths
enh: add fake impossible debug AR code to select CPU: DFFFFFFF 77777777/99999999
enh: add --rtc-day and --rtc-hour to specify an offset from host RTC
enh: support newer duc files
enh: upgrade and add some upscalers, hq3x, 6xBRZ, etc.
enh: add "interface" frontend for use via dll/so

Windows:

note: windows xp and x86 support is dropped for official builds. windows 7 support will be dropped over my dead body.
bug: fix numerous bugs involving filenames and path with non-latin characters
bug: fix bugs in various display layout, rotate, vsync, gaps, and display method configurations
bug: fix bugs in user configured paths
bug: aviout/wavout is now more robust
bug: fix bugs in window clearing and various display method configurations which leave garbage on screen
enh: add fullscreen display options
enh: major revisions to mic sample feature, loaded as a bunch and rotated with hotkeys
enh: add user-facing option to control console window visibility
enh: add some crude capability for breakpoints to cpu debugger and memory viewer, and other bugfixes
enh: add "screen size ratio" for smaller sub-screens, etc.
enh: add some hotkeys
enh: add option to kill stylus input when outside the NDS screen
enh: improve cheat list UX
enh: optimizations to reduce cpu usage overall and during idle especially for high resolutions, scalers, etc.
enh: improve pen&touch support

Cocoa:

bug: fix issues with v-sync causing frame rate issues under various circumstances
bug: fix issues when running a display window in fullscreen
enh: add native binary support for Apple Silicon CPUs
enh: Macs with an Intel Haswell or later CPU now benefit from the new AVX2 optimizations
enh: add support for Apple's Dark Mode user interface introduced in macOS Mojave
enh: add some new toolbar items for the following: Frame Advance, Enable/Disable HUD, Toggle Displays
enh: turbo inputs can now be configured with a frame-by-frame press/release pattern
enh: display windows now run their video output using Metal, if available
enh: display windows now support HiDPI monitors like Apple's Retina monitors
enh: display windows have new "Hybrid" layouts for better fit on modern widescreen monitors (View > Display Layout)
enh: display windows can now change the video source going to each individual DS screen (View > Display Video Source)
enh: display windows can now run a Heads-Up Display for reporting useful info (View > Show HUD Settings)
enh: add support for changing the NDS stylus pressure (Emulation > Show Stylus Settings)
enh: screenshots can now be captured using a dedicated tool for it (Tools > Show Screenshot Capture Tool)
enh: lots of miscellaneous stability and performance improvements

Linux:

note: SDL2 now employed
note: GTK3 port added, built with meson
note: CLI and GTK ports improved, according to their respective niche (gaming vs functionality)
note: CLI: added horizontal screen layout
note: CLI: added floating-point scale factor support with HW stretching
note: CLI/GTK2: improved gdb stub for game debugging
note: CLI/GTK2/GTK3: various other improvements

Download it here!

https://github.com/TASEmulators/desmume/releases/tag/release_0_9_13
https://desmume.org/download/

Enjoy the games! :yaynds:

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Isn't DeSmuME developed by a bunch of Pokemon haters? I remember reading something about people being insulted by them because they asked to make Gen 4 and 5 games playable on the emulator lmao

grub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might've been fixed in one of the unofficial releases, but the graphical bug that was present in a few Pokémon games while using the default renderer seems to be gone now. I know the developers aren't very fond of Pokémon games, but they are probably the most relevant DS games in modern day, due to having connectivity up to the Switch games in addition to Pokémon's size as a franchise in general. Getting bombarded with non-technical questions about it in issue reporting sections probably builds up some resentment, though.

Example of the issue before:
desmume-pokemon-glitch.gif

The high-res 3D renderer is nice to have implemented into a modern release of the emulator, too. Here's a small model with anti-aliasing:
renderer.png

For TAS stuff, I'm not sure how useful or timing-accurate DeSmuME is compared to MelonDS with BizHawk at this point. I guess MelonDS itself has its own whole niche with being the only emulator to my knowledge that supports DSi exclusives and enhancements.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
This might've been fixed in one of the unofficial releases, but the graphical bug that was present in a few Pokémon games while using the default renderer seems to be gone now. I know the developers aren't very fond of Pokémon games, but they are probably the most relevant DS games in modern day, due to having connectivity up to the Switch games in addition to Pokémon's size as a franchise in general. Getting bombarded with non-technical questions about it in issue reporting sections probably builds up some resentment, though.

Example of the issue before:
View attachment 311341

The high-res 3D renderer is nice to have implemented into a modern release of the emulator, too. Here's a small model with anti-aliasing:
View attachment 311342

For TAS stuff, I'm not sure how useful or timing-accurate DeSmuME is compared to MelonDS with BizHawk at this point. I guess MelonDS itself has its own whole niche with being the only emulator to my knowledge that supports DSi exclusives and enhancements.
Just goes to show how much detail gets lost due to the ultra-low (And ultra-pathetic) screen resolution of the system.
(Seriously, they could have done 2x 640x480 panels at little-to-no extra cost.)

Desconocido90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just goes to show how much detail gets lost due to the ultra-low (And ultra-pathetic) screen resolution of the system.
(Seriously, they could have done 2x 640x480 panels at little-to-no extra cost.)

2x 640x480 panels and internal resolution in a 2006 handheld??

I know DS could (and should) have been more powerful, specially when it's compared to its rival PSP, but even a high end device like PSP had a mere 272p screen. 2x640x480 is almost 5 times PSP pixel count.

Not only the duplicated displays would be much more expensive, it will also require increasing the CPU, GPU and VRAM to manage that resolution, even if it kept the same DS-level graphics.

But yes, 192p is a crappy resolution for 3D games (and 2.5D games, and 2D games with 2D rotations and resizing...) and it's nice to have emulators capable of improve that.

Now, let's hope they add support one day to render each screen in separated windows or monitors in Windows and Linux (I think OSX version can). It's a forgotten, but really important feature for DS and 3DS emulation.

(And I hope they add texture replacement some day)
(And assigning touchscreen actions as physical buttons)

Robertuxo

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question with Desmume. When I give it to change the size of the screens (make one of the DS screens bigger than the other) the emulator what it does is squash the smaller screen, which is horrendous as shown in the image that I'm sharing.
972d753a4689e1bd0e4af8a8466c4f43.png

If I select the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" option, it seems that this would be the solution, but it is not because another problem appears. The remaining frames are filled with the game image, which is a horrendous thing as shown in the new image that I am sharing. Other times luckily it is not filled with the game image but instead the background is white which is also horrendous. Help me please.

d04fc079f4be54c2bbf42942eefb94fa.png

Attachments

• 972d753a4689e1bd0e4af8a8466c4f43.png
    972d753a4689e1bd0e4af8a8466c4f43.png
    631.5 KB · Views: 53

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over