Will I need to update my Wii to play Zelda legit?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by blueoakleyz, Oct 27, 2011.

1. blueoakleyz
    OP

Member blueoakleyz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I haven't updated my Wii in like a year.. so I was wondering if I'd need to update it (with any custom IOS or whatever they call it) to play a legit copy of Zelda?

2. Gaiaknight

Member Gaiaknight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    you will need update what ever ios zelda needs if you plan to play it legit also i recommend priiloader to block disc update otherwisse zelda willll make you update.

3. blueoakleyz
    OP

United States
    I do have priiloader or something like it.. installed a couple years ago..

4. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Should be fine, since Zelda was a release title.

Oh, you mean the new Zelda? Well that's just stupid; nobody knows the answer because it's not out yet.

1 person likes this.
  5. TudorBlue

Member TudorBlue GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Good question. Im on 4.1E and have priiloader installed and have got this on pre order and dont want to have to update just to play this game. I used maufrogs tut to update my 4.3E will which is now on 4.!E so if I have to update, I could brick my wii. Time will tell though and Im sure the wii devs wil bring out a fix...........hopefully

6. Augusta

Member Augusta GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Would AP still affect those who bought the game but running it under XX /modded/cIOS/system menu?

Zelda's coming out in a few weeks. Will I still run into problems like these even with the official disk inside because the wii's modded?
    Like did people who bought kirby and played it on a softmodded wii still experience AP issues or is that only the case when you play it pirated?

7. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden

If your Wii is out-of-date and zelda requires newer files, its very likely you will run into problems.
    Of course, there are always ways to bypass it, but it still requires some work on your end (updating the softmod, for example).

8. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    I don't see how they could force an update. It goes against the whole design. I guess maybe they could check IN-GAME if you have 4.4+ (or whatever they use as an update), but that is easy to get around by modifying the version number.

9. lakaiskateboarding

Member lakaiskateboarding GBAtemp Regular

That really depends on the AP they implement. Maybe they scan your firmware (if that is even possible, because if it were they would have probably already done it). I think sneek users are pretty safe with new stuff.

My advice is just to buy the game, leave it sealed (collector's value) and download it and play it from a hard disk.

10. 10_0ARMY

Member 10_0ARMY THE *Original* 1 Man Army

United States
    Can't you just boot a legit copy of the game through the gecko hombrew application? I did this with Metroid: Other M and it bypassed the update the game wanted to install, completely.

11. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Read the OP's question again - he's not just asking about updating the system menu, he's asking if he would have to change anything at all on his wii. They could quite easily make this game use a completely new IOS with new modules and interfaces that nobody has ever seen before (ala IOS58) in which case all current cIOSes would be useless. It's a stupid question because nobody can say what it's going to use until it's out.

12. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    A cIOS isn't needed to play it via disc, and any new IOS could be grabbed from the update partition itself. So yes, you will probably have to update something, but I don't see it being the SM.

In short, you are right though.

13. blueoakleyz
    OP

United States
    Yes, of course I mean the new Zelda. And no it's not stupid.. if someone has played a recent game that required an update that would be an indicator if I need to update

14. anxion

Newcomer anxion Newbie

Denmark
    Hey guys I have a question sort of related to this topic.

I haven't done anything to my wii for a long time and It's still running 3.1E

Of course the game isn't out yet and it's hard to tell what will happen, but I'm planning on buying it legit too. Question is if you recommend me perhaps updating the wii with some newer stuff to guarantee I won't sit around and fight with this stuff when the game is out!

Also time for an irrelevant question - I want to install priiloader, but they don't recommend doing it if you have modified ios's. I remember installing different IOS's back in the day (running IOS 37 v.15.29 right now) so I can't tell if I installed any modified stuff.

I ran syscheck and it's saying: (syscheck shut off my wii during the check, but I am still able to find the report on the root of my SD card.)

Found 24 IOS on this console No IOS Stub on this console

Thanks.

15. ground

Member ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    You can better install IOS 58 if you don't have it already. and then use modmii to hack you're wii and tell it that you're wii is a virgin.

16. blueoakleyz
    OP

United States
    any updates?

17. Tonindo

Newcomer Tonindo Member

Sweden
    I haven't updated my Wii in like... I don't even know. I'm still on 3.2E. Thing is though, that I have a chipped Wii with Wiikey (the first one), and I always run my backups trough Gecko OS. So far every game has worked that I've tried. I'm sort of nervous though when it comes to Zelda. I'm seriously considering buying a new clean Wii just to play this game, if it doesn't work on my chipped one.

18. TerraPhantm

Member TerraPhantm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As long as you install the proper IOS you should be okay. Use DOP-Mii to get the IOS versions that you're missing - and if SS comes with a new one, rip it from the update partition and install that one too.

19. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible unless the official SDK doesn't support ES_GetStoredTmd and related functions. Of course, I would expect USB loaders (or possibly cIOSes) would be updated to respond to ES_GetStoredTmd with a very high version number regardless of what was asked of it.

20. moosh1989
    This message by moosh1989 has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 6, 2016.
    Nov 6, 2011
  21. junk33
    This message by junk33 has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 6, 2016.
    Nov 6, 2011
  22. Lucif3r
    This message by Lucif3r has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 6, 2016.
    Nov 6, 2011
  23. Eight Bit Alien

Newcomer Eight Bit Alien Member

United States
    Now that everyone has an image of this, do we have an answer to the question yet? I'm gonna be getting a retail copy within the next week or so, and I'm curious to know if I'll have any issues playing the disc, or if I should create my own backup....

EDIT:

I believe I've discovered an answer to my question here http://gbatemp.net/m-ask?action=question&id=3342&title=will-retail-discs-skyward-sword-kirby-return-dreamland-work-wii

apologies to mods if this post was in violation of any rule/general conduct, things seem to be in quite a state of flux around here lately :lol: