Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
the development resembles a Michael Bay movie. the hero always reaches his goal and gets the girl, but there are always delays caused by giant explosions in the story. kind of like Transformers or something similar. damn those explosions...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And who said they would delay it every time an update was released?

No one.

Well, that's how it feels now that 5.4.0 is out, didn't they say that they were gonna find more bugs in that FW? Spending time to find more bugs = less time finishing up the exploit for release on < 5.3.2 users.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's how it feels now that 5.4.0 is out, didn't they say that they were gonna find more bugs in that FW? Spending time to find more bugs = less time finishing up the exploit for release on < 5.3.2 users.

We are working on 5.3.2 and 5.4.0 in parallel, now that we have enough active team members to do so.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the work is gonna be delayed every time Nintendo releases an updated firmware, it's never gonna be released.
I think it would help if you realized there is not really a "delay". It isn't stable yet and based on their experience they can estimate when it will be done but they really don't know. If you have never been a part of a coding project where you are venturing into unknown areas it is hard to comprehend. It is not like building a bookcase and you know it will only take 3 days to stain and varnish it when you get the last of the trim on.

My senior project was in Java and had about 5K lines of code, my partner and I never got everything working properly. Parts did, but some areas were just outside our skill level and we ran out of time.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Okay I figured out how to play Splatoon online atleast for now without updating or risking to update:

1: Block the update with your preferred method
2: Load Splatoon
3: Go to the lobby and let it sit on the screen where it asks you to receive the latest news
4: Disable your block and let then let Splatoon go on
5: Quickly enter the lobby in Splatoon and select the game-mode you want to play
6: Then block the update again

As long as you don't close the game you should be able to play Splatoon normally now :)
Seems pretty risky to me. So you mean Splatoon can go online without its update and without the Wii U update?

Antonio Ricardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What game did you play online?

Here: Splatoon, MK8 and Smash Bros U and no problem to play online.
Seems pretty risky to me. So you mean Splatoon can go online without its update and without the Wii U update?

You can play online with any game released until now without update firmware, on 3DS is the same.
You just need DISABLE AUTO UPDATE AND STANDBY FUNCTIONS FEATURE (QUICK START MENU).
Here and i didnt receive any message to update firmware, you dont need delete internet settings.

Last edited by Antonio Ricardo,

mixelpixx

hardware monkey
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We already have the pinouts. All the hardware is documented. That is not the point. The question is can a WiiU be downgraded without adverse affects? We do not know if they figured out e-fuses. I've almost convinced myself to try based on the fact that I believe if they could implement this, they would have on the new 3DS.

EDIT: The way I see it, one of 4 things will happen.
  1. I fail. No more Wii U.
  2. Write fails. Corrupts NAND. No more Wii U.
  3. Read/Write works, downgrade fails. Stuck with upgraded Wii U.
  4. Success! I provide service for others similar to 3DS.
Read and write I can confirm working on Wii U, using the Win32image method. Now someone just needs to try and get an older imaged FW and try putting it on their unit. My guess is it won't be that easy. Maybe try backing up a 5.3.2 unit then updating --- then try for a downgrade (being that the downgrade FW would be coming from this unit I would say better chance of success..). I think they will have info in the FW that marries it to the device, its easy to do -- but if we have all the keys someone should be able to decrypt this and tell us what info is in there (serial #, Mac Add, other identifiables) and should be able to have some freedom with dumps and restoration. If there are e-fuses then there is a cap somewhere that can come off to stop it.

Be careful sharing dumped info from your unit, as it my contain personal info. Kinda need a way to make a keyfile from a firmware dump, that you can patch to another with just your info, so maybe one with public info can be created for the purpose of sharing in public.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii U has not been updated to 5.4.0 yet. I am on 5.3.2 still.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Read and write I can confirm working on Wii U, using the Win32image method. Now someone just needs to try and get an older imaged FW and try putting it on their unit. My guess is it won't be that easy. Maybe try backing up a 5.3.2 unit then updating --- then try for a downgrade (being that the downgrade FW would be coming from this unit I would say better chance of success..). I think they will have info in the FW that marries it to the device, its easy to do -- but if we have all the keys someone should be able to decrypt this and tell us what info is in there (serial #, Mac Add, other identifiables) and should be able to have some freedom with dumps and restoration. If there are e-fuses then there is a cap somewhere that can come off to stop it.

Be careful sharing dumped info from your unit, as it my contain personal info. Kinda need a way to make a keyfile from a firmware dump, that you can patch to another with just your info, so maybe one with public info can be created for the purpose of sharing in public.
Did you use the point before or after the resistor array? On the 3DS the test point are before the resistors, where WiiUBrew has them after.

mixelpixx

hardware monkey
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should work either way, unless the chip is hyper sensitive to impedance on the data and cmd lines.. but I went after the ic, so i made use of the resistors. But the card reader should actually have resistors in circuit that would probably compensate. I never worked with a 3DS were they sensitive to the position? Some ic's seem to want 100ohm-330ohm on the data lines.

It may also depend on the card reader and the power output of the USB port, heck the chipset on one reader may work flawlessly, and another not at all.

Also notice NO EXTERNAL POWER. Good god, people do that on PS3's and have been doing it on Wii U's. Stop. Use the units power. You cannot properly back feed power from the card reader to the ic. Such a bad habit, or thought.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quick question. has anyone ever tried putting the update files from a game disc on USB and tried updating?
If you can get the per-console storage keys to decrypt a USB drive with an IOSU exploit, feel free to try it and tell us what happens :P but seeing as nobody other than bubba has one, I don't think that's an option ATM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Que?