TitleDB.com - Update Blocking DNS Servers

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by ksanislo, Dec 1, 2016.

1. ksanislo
    OP

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Two of the TitleDB.com nameservers have been configured to block updates for the Wii U and allow open use from the internet.

Los Angeles, USA: 168.235.092.108
    Alblasserdam, NL: 081.004.127.020

These should be stable and aren't going to be discontinued any time soon, so they should be solid choices to use on your system. Set the one nearest to you as your primary, and use the other as secondary.

The following domains are currently filtered:
    nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
    nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
    nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
    c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net
    cbvc.nintendo.net

This list is subject to change without notice, and is a free service offered to the community. I make no guarantee to the quality or suitability of this service for anything whatsoever.

Last edited by ksanislo, Mar 8, 2017

2. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Awesome DNS, thanks OP! Works great

Last edited by MattKimura, Mar 7, 2017
    McWhiters9511 likes this.
  3. pivix

pivix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    Poland
    Tubehax works ? I think it doesnt.

4. BDS

BDS GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2016
    France
    lol there's no competition. They provide a service and gain nothing from it.

Also according to this post you only need to filter 4 domains:
    • nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
    • nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
    • nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
    • nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    First two are update download servers for Wii and Wii U and last two are used to check network availability (error if can't reach those and no update gets triggered).

(and in the CCProxy tutorial (in "Alternative filtering method" spoiler) it's mentioned that nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net is the minimal domain to block, but I've never seen anyone blocking only that yet)

5. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Thanks for this, since I've used the site before in the past I think this is the one I'll be putting my trust in over the rest.

titleDBhax ftw :P

zeldaism likes this.
  6. BDS

BDS GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2016
    France
    Please don't add the hax suffix when no "hax" is involved.
    Tubehax DNS has the suffix because "historically" it was used for an exploit within the YouTube app for 3DS (redirected youtube.com to Tubehax server so it downloaded content that would trigger the hax).

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  7. ksanislo
    OP

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    It seems there is also a tagaya.wup.shop.nintendo.net which sounds like it's the host used to determine if there is an update to be had in the first place. I've added it (and the .eshop. version) to my blacklist zones, as has the DNS-U service this morning.

zeldaism and [Truth] like this.
  8. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Tubehax has been down for several weeks.

9. BDS

BDS GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2016
    France
    iirc this is just for "normal" titles updates, blocking it would prevent users to update their games with nnu patcher, so you should leave it as is.

10. ksanislo
    OP

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Are you actually able to download game updates after using NNU-Patcher yourself? I've personally never been able to do any game updates, and have had to resort to downloading offline and installing with wupinstaller ever since I first started using the TubeHax DNS.

11. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Cool, but isn't sharing the title key link not allowed here? It's copy righted content if i'm not mistaken.

12. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    I think you're confusing titledb with a different site.

13. BDS

BDS GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2016
    France
    Well, the challenge may be to get rid of the console update error blocking the whole download queue.

14. ksanislo
    OP

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I've heard that before, but I've actually let it clear out and then tried again and it still refuses to download. The NNU-patcher thread seems to indicate that it can't be used for downloading game updates as well, so I'm not sure how some people manage to get it to work in the first place. It's quite likely related to the list of blocked domains being a bit too aggressive, but there's so many competing theories about what needs to be blocked at this point that it doesn't feel safe to try to clean things up yet.

15. BDS

BDS GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2016
    France
    See for yourself.

The only thing I don't block that Tubehax DNS blocks/blocked is the domain that checks the browser version for 3DS (cbvc.something.net). (and Tubehax DNS hasn't blocked youtube for a great while since there was no point)
    I had a hard time getting rid of the fake console update error in order to download Zen Pinball 2 (which is available for free on eShop).
    You may want to directly ask smea for I believe he or yellows8 was in charge of the Tubehax DNS server if you really have trouble with what to block.

16. ksanislo
    OP

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Do you happen to know if this can be done with my DNS servers here, or if I'm blocking a host that will prevent it?

17. BDS

BDS GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2016
    France
    I just tested ns2.intherack.com as DNS and deleted the ZP2 update, it downloaded the ZP2 update and installed it fine (so my guess was you had the red cross on the download management icon i.e. fake system update error blocking the download queue). But you need to unblock the tagaya servers for future updates, otherwise versions.bin won't get updated and the console won't know about any game update (my console "knew" about the update and therefore looked for it).

ksanislo likes this.
  18. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    I've got almost the entire list blocked on my router, but I still seem able to get into Eshop.. Anyone have any clue what I'm doing wrong?

Attached Files:

19. ksanislo
    OP

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    The following update notification servers have been unblocked:

tagaya.wup.shop.nintendo.net
    tagaya.wup.eshop.nintendo.net

Since they would prevent update notifications about games, which can still be installed even while using the blocking DNS by running the nnu-patcher homebrew before trying to download them.

isira likes this.
  20. ksanislo
    OP

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    The NL based DNS server will be rebooting shortly due to a kernel issue. Downtime is expected to be minimal.

Update: Server is back up and running, still waiting to hear back if the troubles are resolved or if there will be more downtime.

Last edited by ksanislo, Dec 28, 2016
    jbuck1975 and zeldaism like this.