Hacking TitleDB.com - Update Blocking DNS Servers

ksanislo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two of the TitleDB.com nameservers have been configured to block updates for both the Wii U and Switch and allow open use from the internet.

Los Angeles, USA: 168.235.092.108
Alblasserdam, NL: 081.004.127.020

These should be stable and aren't going to be discontinued any time soon, so they should be solid choices to use on your system. Set the one nearest to you as your primary, and use the other as secondary.

The following domains are currently filtered:
nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
c.shop.nintendowifi.net
cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net
cbvc.nintendo.net
sun.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net
beach.hac.lp1.eshop.nintendo.net

This list is subject to change without notice, and is a free service offered to the community. I make no guarantee to the quality or suitability of this service for anything whatsoever.

Last edited by ksanislo,

BDS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
lol there's no competition. They provide a service and gain nothing from it.

Also according to this post you only need to filter 4 domains:
  • nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
  • nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
  • nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
  • nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
First two are update download servers for Wii and Wii U and last two are used to check network availability (error if can't reach those and no update gets triggered).

(and in the CCProxy tutorial (in "Alternative filtering method" spoiler) it's mentioned that nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net is the minimal domain to block, but I've never seen anyone blocking only that yet)

BDS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
titleDBhax
Please don't add the hax suffix when no "hax" is involved.
Tubehax DNS has the suffix because "historically" it was used for an exploit within the YouTube app for 3DS (redirected youtube.com to Tubehax server so it downloaded content that would trigger the hax).

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ksanislo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol there's no competition. They provide a service and gain nothing from it.

Also according to this post you only need to filter 4 domains:
  • nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
  • nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
  • nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
  • nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
First two are update download servers for Wii and Wii U and last two are used to check network availability (error if can't reach those and no update gets triggered).

(and in the CCProxy tutorial (in "Alternative filtering method" spoiler) it's mentioned that nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net is the minimal domain to block, but I've never seen anyone blocking only that yet)

It seems there is also a tagaya.wup.shop.nintendo.net which sounds like it's the host used to determine if there is an update to be had in the first place. I've added it (and the .eshop. version) to my blacklist zones, as has the DNS-U service this morning.

D

Deleted-19228

Now there seems to be a competition of DNS. Tubehax, DNS-U, and titledb. All three work, but only we don't know which one truly is reliable long term. But I guess having multiple DNS can't hurt, for people from different countries. I'm currently using DNS-U which works as of now. I'm mostly using it because kafluke is using it : p

As a PSA to everyone, DNS-U JUST changed it's IP, so you need to go back to the thread and change it to the new one.

Tubehax has been down for several weeks.

BDS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It seems there is also a tagaya.wup.shop.nintendo.net which sounds like it's the host used to determine if there is an update to be had in the first place.
iirc this is just for "normal" titles updates, blocking it would prevent users to update their games with nnu patcher, so you should leave it as is.

ksanislo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc this is just for "normal" titles updates, blocking it would prevent users to update their games with nnu patcher, so you should leave it as is.
Are you actually able to download game updates after using NNU-Patcher yourself? I've personally never been able to do any game updates, and have had to resort to downloading offline and installing with wupinstaller ever since I first started using the TubeHax DNS.

D

Deleted User

Cool, but isn't sharing the title key link not allowed here? It's copy righted content if i'm not mistaken.

BDS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Are you actually able to download game updates after using NNU-Patcher yourself? I've personally never been able to do any game updates, and have had to resort to downloading offline and installing with wupinstaller ever since I first started using the TubeHax DNS.
Well, the challenge may be to get rid of the console update error blocking the whole download queue.

ksanislo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the challenge may be to get rid of the console update error blocking the whole download queue.
I've heard that before, but I've actually let it clear out and then tried again and it still refuses to download. The NNU-patcher thread seems to indicate that it can't be used for downloading game updates as well, so I'm not sure how some people manage to get it to work in the first place. It's quite likely related to the list of blocked domains being a bit too aggressive, but there's so many competing theories about what needs to be blocked at this point that it doesn't feel safe to try to clean things up yet.

BDS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've heard that before, but I've actually let it clear out and then tried again and it still refuses to download. The NNU-patcher thread seems to indicate that it can't be used for downloading game updates as well, so I'm not sure how some people manage to get it to work in the first place. It's quite likely related to the list of blocked domains being a bit too aggressive, but there's so many competing theories about what needs to be blocked at this point that it doesn't feel safe to try to clean things up yet.
See for yourself.

The only thing I don't block that Tubehax DNS blocks/blocked is the domain that checks the browser version for 3DS (cbvc.something.net). (and Tubehax DNS hasn't blocked youtube for a great while since there was no point)
I had a hard time getting rid of the fake console update error in order to download Zen Pinball 2 (which is available for free on eShop).
You may want to directly ask smea for I believe he or yellows8 was in charge of the Tubehax DNS server if you really have trouble with what to block.

ksanislo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See for yourself.

The only thing I don't block that Tubehax DNS blocks/blocked is the domain that checks the browser version for 3DS (cbvc.something.net). (and Tubehax DNS hasn't blocked youtube for a great while since there was no point)
I had a hard time getting rid of the fake console update error in order to download Zen Pinball 2 (which is available for free on eShop).
You may want to directly ask smea for I believe he or yellows8 was in charge of the Tubehax DNS server if you really have trouble with what to block.

Do you happen to know if this can be done with my DNS servers here, or if I'm blocking a host that will prevent it?

BDS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you happen to know if this can be done with my DNS servers here, or if I'm blocking a host that will prevent it?

I just tested ns2.intherack.com as DNS and deleted the ZP2 update, it downloaded the ZP2 update and installed it fine (so my guess was you had the red cross on the download management icon i.e. fake system update error blocking the download queue). But you need to unblock the tagaya servers for future updates, otherwise versions.bin won't get updated and the console won't know about any game update (my console "knew" about the update and therefore looked for it).

Reactions: ksanislo

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got almost the entire list blocked on my router, but I still seem able to get into Eshop.. Anyone have any clue what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• blocked servers.jpg
    blocked servers.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 588

ksanislo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The following update notification servers have been unblocked:

tagaya.wup.shop.nintendo.net
tagaya.wup.eshop.nintendo.net

Since they would prevent update notifications about games, which can still be installed even while using the blocking DNS by running the nnu-patcher homebrew before trying to download them.

Reactions: isira

ksanislo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The NL based DNS server will be rebooting shortly due to a kernel issue. Downtime is expected to be minimal.

Update: Server is back up and running, still waiting to hear back if the troubles are resolved or if there will be more downtime.

Last edited by ksanislo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s