Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
You can play online with any game released until now without update firmware, on 3DS is the same.
You just need DISABLE AUTO UPDATE AND STANDBY FUNCTIONS FEATURE (QUICK START MENU).
Here and i didnt receive any message to update firmware, you dont need delete internet settings.
Gotcha, but Splatoon's update is something different. You need to update it to play online don't you?

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you can get the per-console storage keys to decrypt a USB drive with an IOSU exploit, feel free to try it and tell us what happens :P but seeing as nobody other than bubba has one, I don't think that's an option ATM.
so you haven't tried it
edit: after 2 min searching Google I have my answer lol...... no

mixelpixx

hardware monkey
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im @ 5.3.2.
I have 1 Unit.
It is my son's.

I did read out, and write back 5.3.2 with no problem. I did a console reset, took everything off of it before I did that. Just so it wouldn't take as long. If I had 5.4.x and knew what personal info was needed from my 5.3.2 dump, then I could get a 5.4.x and patch it, and write it. I am making some assumptions obviously on what is contained, did they marry the FW to the unit somehow? etc..

I will always encourage someone to try, seems like it wouldn't be too risky. If you make a 5.3.2 image, and the allow 5.4.x to update, then backup the 5.4.x as well. Trying to downgrade to 5.3.2 just shouldn't be that risky. But I am a gamblin man, and I am putting my money on my unit staying @ 5.3.2 tucked nicely in the drawer of my desk until a toolkit/devkit is made available.

But the way above should give you an out if rolling back to 5.3.2 fuxors it.

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seems pretty risky to me. So you mean Splatoon can go online without its update and without the Wii U update?

Gotcha, but Splatoon's update is something different. You need to update it to play online don't you?

Yeah you will still need to get the game update, this is solely for bypassing the firmware update!

Reactions: Ericzander

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im @ 5.3.2.
I have 1 Unit.
It is my son's.

I did read out, and write back 5.3.2 with no problem. I did a console reset, took everything off of it before I did that. Just so it wouldn't take as long. If I had 5.4.x and knew what personal info was needed from my 5.3.2 dump, then I could get a 5.4.x and patch it, and write it. I am making some assumptions obviously on what is contained, did they marry the FW to the unit somehow? etc..

I will always encourage someone to try, seems like it wouldn't be too risky. If you make a 5.3.2 image, and the allow 5.4.x to update, then backup the 5.4.x as well. Trying to downgrade to 5.3.2 just shouldn't be that risky. But I am a gamblin man, and I am putting my money on my unit staying @ 5.3.2 tucked nicely in the drawer of my desk until a toolkit/devkit is made available.

But the way above should give you an out if rolling back to 5.3.2 fuxors it.
OK. I will give it a go in the next day or so. I think if read/write works so will a rollback. At this time it can only be used as a restore point for the console it was dumped from due to encryption. As I stated before, if Nintendo had the means to stop a hardware rollback, then I believe they would have implemented it on the new 3DS. Now where's that old tri-wing...

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. I will give it a go in the next day or so. I think if read/write works so will a rollback. At this time it can only be used as a restore point for the console it was dumped from due to encryption. As I stated before, if Nintendo had the means to stop a hardware rollback, then I believe they would have implemented it on the new 3DS. Now where's that old tri-wing...
Slow down there tiger. Hate to see you fubar it. Let's get your campaign together and all chip in for the experiment. :)

x3braindmg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Okay I figured out how to play Splatoon online atleast for now without updating or risking to update:

1: Block the update with your preferred method
2: Load Splatoon
3: Go to the lobby and let it sit on the screen where it asks you to receive the latest news
4: Disable your block and let then let Splatoon go on
5: Quickly enter the lobby in Splatoon and select the game-mode you want to play
6: Then block the update again

As long as you don't close the game you should be able to play Splatoon normally now :)

Oops, sorry, I think I have found the answer.

Last edited by x3braindmg,

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I was wondering regarding the Webkit exploit, Will it allow to read and write to SD card or any local folder from it or use modified functions of the browser?
Like if you could install the exploit files locally using the exploit and then access it from the bookmarks/favorites?
that way you might even be able to create a hombrewloader that you could open directly from the bookmarks/favorites even if the exploit isnt hosted on any server.
But I know that the WiiU isn't a Windows machine so it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is impossible.

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've been following this thread for months, now I see a donation campaign going on.
Since donating is the only thing I can do to help this project at the moment, I just want to know what am I exactly donating for ? someone needs the console to test something ?
Thank you,
And good job NWP and MN and Hykem, and all those who are contributing to this. It's because of you I bought a Wii u Again after selling it last year.
Keep it up ;)

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
Because all the good things got released when Hykem was donated a console...hmmm :unsure:
well, he already dumped the wii u memory from his 3.0.1 console, so it should not take long, PROVIDED THAT NOONE ELSE IS PUSHING THE POOR MAN TO FUCKING DO THINGS LIKE WHAT HAPPENED IN THESE FUCKING PAST 6 MONTHS :/

mixelpixx

hardware monkey
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what donations are needed for at this point. If all you are trying is to downgrade, then it will either flash and boot or it will just turn on and sit there. You only need an SD card reader, and those are $20 for a decent one. If you are looking for a unit to test on, then I would just wait. I will be glad to test it, and I already have Win32imager torn apart and trying to make a simple Wii U flasher, my lab partner manufactures PWB / Circuit boards, and we are making a little break out that will just have wires on one end, and be shaped like an SD on the other so you can just solder and forget it, and always have access.

If you can't wait for all the dev stuff and better unit access/control then just:

Clear Console - get it totally wiped out. Saves, Game Downloads, ETC..
Make all of your connections - 4 easy solder points (if you have a tri-wing screw driver to open unit)
Use Win32imager and make a backup of 5.3.2
Allow console to update to 5.4.x
Use Win32imager to make a backup of 5.4.x
Write your 5.3.2 image back to the console
Now see if it boots - Yes, Success!! No? Reflash 5.4.x...

It would be interesting to see an image compare, but it would have to be from the same console, too many console specific factors I think would make a dump from user A and a dump from B just too different to gather any info..

The dump may be encrypted, but I am wondering since we have keys, can't we decrypt? If someone wants to hand hold a second on the decrypting I will gladly add that to my app. I just don't know how to analyze headers and the like to determine the encryption, and how to select the key to use. I would like to decrypt and look for all sorts of info. Even better would be able to put it back together after changes.

And as for Hykem and MarioNumber1 and others. You should probably get off their collective asses. Too many people take stuff waaaay to personally, I think some of the devs actually are so frazzled they don't know who's trying to help or hurt at this point. I haven't seen anyone demanding anything, but I think sometimes the pressure can make it feel that way. So maybe back off, it will be out, or if they drop the ball, then maybe they will release what they have so others could pick up the work.

crediar

Possiblenator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The Wii U has a recovery feature built into the kernel.
It can be triggered by holding eject+power during boot it then installs updates from the SD card.

The only problem is creating such an image for the SD card, you might be able to forge one based on a Wii U update partition.

Hykem

Trophies
XP
Country
Because all the good things got released when Hykem was donated a console...hmmm :unsure:

I fail to understand the point behind those kind of comments. I'm confident on my work and on what I can bring to the "scene", but I'm not going to rush anything just because people want to.
Also, the console was donated by a single person, which I keep in touch daily. That person is the only one in position to make demands or criticize.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what donations are needed for at this point. If all you are trying is to downgrade, then it will either flash and boot or it will just turn on and sit there. You only need an SD card reader, and those are $20 for a decent one. If you are looking for a unit to test on, then I would just wait. I will be glad to test it, and I already have Win32imager torn apart and trying to make a simple Wii U flasher, my lab partner manufactures PWB / Circuit boards, and we are making a little break out that will just have wires on one end, and be shaped like an SD on the other so you can just solder and forget it, and always have access.

If you can't wait for all the dev stuff and better unit access/control then just:

Clear Console - get it totally wiped out. Saves, Game Downloads, ETC..
Make all of your connections - 4 easy solder points (if you have a tri-wing screw driver to open unit)
Use Win32imager and make a backup of 5.3.2
Allow console to update to 5.4.x
Use Win32imager to make a backup of 5.4.x
Write your 5.3.2 image back to the console
Now see if it boots - Yes, Success!! No? Reflash 5.4.x...

It would be interesting to see an image compare, but it would have to be from the same console, too many console specific factors I think would make a dump from user A and a dump from B just too different to gather any info...
The reason for the donations is to negate any risk to my own machine. Granted the worse that will happen is I'll have an updated Wii U. The problem is that I don't want to update at this point and time. The donations are so there's no risk to my WiiU. Pretty well the same reason you haven't tested the downgrade.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6v3cT3b59A&t=12s