Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I fail to understand the point behind those kind of comments. I'm confident on my work and on what I can bring to the "scene", but I'm not going to rush anything just because people want to.
Also, the console was donated by a single person, which I keep in touch daily. That person is the only one in position to make demands or criticize.

In this world of internet you need to know better ^^. You will always find comments like this, because it's so easy to do it behind a keyboard :).
Anyway, I would only recommend you to focus on your work and ignore any kind of comments that might slow you down.

IbbyPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U has a recovery feature built into the kernel.
It can be triggered by holding eject+power during boot it then installs updates from the SD card.

The only problem is creating such an image for the SD card, you might be able to forge one based on a Wii U update partition.
Crediar for president.
Time for update partitions.

capito27

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
It can be triggered by holding eject+power during boot it then installs updates from the SD card.

The only problem is creating such an image for the SD card, you might be able to forge one based on a Wii U update partition.
this may be a foolish question, but could this recovery feature force install the 5.3.2 update on a 5.4.0 wii u , or it first checks the installed version before installing from the SD card (and thus skips if installed Vnum>update Vnum) ?

IbbyPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this may be a foolish question, but could this recovery feature force install the 5.3.2 update on a 5.4.0 wii u , or it first checks the installed version before installing from the SD card (and thus skips if installed Vnum>update Vnum) ?
I'm no crediar, but I assume tis feature is used by tech support to revive bricked consoles and doesn't give a care about the current FW.

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come on guys no reason to get upset, they are working hard on it. Give them time, just like in life unexpected things occur. We might not be fully ready for it, but we had a good sense it might be coming.. If the Wii U is your only console, I advise to get a different one. Perhaps an Ps3 or Xbox 360.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What the? What was removed from that guy's post? :blink:
? I just snipped the quote to make the post smaller. The post itself wasn't important to relaying the information I wanted to ask.

Also 010 Hex Editor has a histogram feature and has a demo version. I was mainly wondering if it's entirely encrypted or just partial. I'm assuming it more than likely is entirely encrypted, but histogram results would be a fairly good indicator.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is this different from boot0's ability to boot a signed recovery image, which f0f talked about?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Is this different from boot0's ability to boot a signed recovery image, which f0f talked about?

I'm curious about this as well now, mainly because I wonder how Nintendo implemented it and whether it's exploitable ala PSP/pandora's battery (dual boot?).

Also, if it is the main OS kernel and not boot0 I'm guessing there would be a version check of some kind (but then this is Nintendo.....).

Reactions: Margen67

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Damn...I just noticed that my Wii U updated itself...the default connection was set to my Connectify Hotspot which doesnÄt have a blacklist instead of my normal WiFi router....there goes Homebrew for me I guess

IbbyPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious about this as well now, mainly because I wonder how Nintendo implemented it and whether it's exploitable ala PSP/pandora's battery (dual boot?).

Also, if it is the main OS kernel and not boot0 I'm guessing there would be a version check of some kind (but then this is Nintendo.....).
Remember, this is most likely used as a recovery feature for bricked consoles, it probably doesn't check FW version because it assumes data is corrupted.

Reactions: Margen67

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Now THAT'S interesting. Remember in the PSP days how one day a unit was returned with a Magic Memorystick (for use with the JigKick battery) left in the device by the service center? I know the files were dumped but not sure if the memorystick-based ipl was discovered this way. That being said, I doubt this will ever happen again and ever seeing a WiiU returned with one of those SD cards inserted can effectively be ruled out.

It'd also be interesting to know if this recovery mode will overwrite already-installed titles with a higher version (delete then write a new copy, good in case of block corruption), if so we might get a 3.0.1 downgrader working this way (quite a few games have 3.0.1 according to bubba's post). Probably this won't work as Ninty would have provided the service center with an new version of the Magic SD Card.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Now THAT'S interesting. Remember in the PSP days how one day a unit was returned with a Magic Memorystick (for use with the JigKick battery) left in the device by the service center? I know the files were dumped but not sure if the memorystick-based ipl was discovered this way. That being said, I doubt this will ever happen again and ever seeing a WiiU returned with one of those SD cards inserted can effectively be ruled out.

It'd also be interesting to know if this recovery mode will overwrite already-installed titles with a higher version (delete then write a new copy, good in case of block corruption), if so we might get a 3.0.1 downgrader working this way (quite a few games have 3.0.1 according to bubba's post). Probably this won't work as Ninty would have provided the service center with an new version of the Magic SD Card.
The same thing happened on the Wii, some service disc was left in a system after it had been sent in for repairs. A downgrade stick or something like the E3 Flasher for the PS3 would be really nice though.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Remember, this is most likely used as a recovery feature for bricked consoles, it probably doesn't check FW version because it assumes data is corrupted.

The question is where the loader crediar mentioned is executed from.

If it is the NAND kernel then it's possible to include a version check since it has to be executable anyway and probably contains it's version.

If it is boot0 though then I agree it's unlikely based on what I've read/heard.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't plan to announce more until release, but maybe this will make some naysayers be quiet. :P

xPATe3d.jpg

In case you don't believe this is actually 5.3.2, I plan to have a video up soon. Thanks to Hykem and Mathew_Wi for also working on this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5 +1