Hacking Wii u and Wii U game pad hack talk to be presented soon at CCC/30c3

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just noticed I forgot to reply to that. The main difference is that we got a lot of stuff working *before* getting f0f's help. I think by the point we got access to all the private Wii U hacking stuff, we already had dumped the GamePad flash, reverse engineered all the Wi-Fi stuff, and had audio and input streaming working. It also took us only a week or so to get to that point. Compare that to Maxternal and friends building on f0f discoveries and taking months to implement a (fairly trivial) race attack.
Good points. Also, last I knew Maxternal has one core working and then updates stopped there. That is a key difference you pointed out, thanks.

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knowledge about video encoding, but most importantly self awareness of your own ignorance.

Actually, it's worse than that. Either he has a developmental disability that prevents him from comprehending clearly presented information, or he just doesn't give a crap and hasn't watched your talk, because you explained pretty clearly what is causing the artifacts.

This problem seems to be rather pervasive amongst most gbatemp users.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
someguy offers mis informed idea . guys with right idea bash mis informed person , gaining likes from slightly less informed people. Just another day on this fukked up topic.

Dya hang around places you dislike much ? Or is there an element of "look at me im sandra dee" about it all.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its a teachable moment, for sure, but its really at the discretion of the teacher to determine what the student is capable of learning. in this case, i think the teachers decided not to cast pearls before swine.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amazing demo and explanation about the Gamepad. I'm eager to see what comes of that in the future. At some point, I think it would be entertaining to have people just buying WiiU Gamepads just for PC use.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Amazing demo and explanation about the Gamepad. I'm eager to see what comes of that in the future. At some point, I think it would be entertaining to have people just buying WiiU Gamepads just for PC use.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151144438783 ;)
Just to give you an idea of how much that would cost (The gamepad is definitely a good chunk of the price of the console.)

Reactions: CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151144438783 ;)
Just to give you an idea of how much that would cost (The gamepad is definitely a good chunk of the price of the console.)

It'd still be a good buy if you have a really powerful rig. The Gamepad has plenty of input stuff to make it a good controller for just about anything. If I had a nice PC with a huge steam library of games, I'd be buying it in an instant (of course, for that to happen the kinks need to get worked out so it accessible for the end user.)
Either way, PC gaming is already a pretty expensive hobby, so whats ~$170 to have a controller with remote play? Not to much in the end, i would imagine.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, it's worse than that. Either he has a developmental disability that prevents him from comprehending clearly presented information, or he just doesn't give a crap and hasn't watched your talk, because you explained pretty clearly what is causing the artifacts.

This problem seems to be rather pervasive amongst most gbatemp users.

Well if you just tweak the vertex buffer ordering you can get both results and efficiency

Source: GBAtemp member

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Is there a way to make the wii u gamepad/pro controller avaible with the snes/nes etc. emulators in vwii mode ?
Gamepad screen, yes. Gamepad buttons, no (although MAYBE with a compatible USB WiFi adapter and some reprogramming) pro controller, yes but have to be programmed to use it.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may have missed it but:
Can anyone enlighten me on whether all regions have the same hashes for the same versions?
http://libdrc.org/docs/re/changelog.html

And are all NTSC systems (JPN/USA) and PAL gamepads interchangeable?
In other words are both the DRH firmware and the DRC firmware considered All Regions?
TitleIds
00050010-10000200
00050010-10043000
00050010-10043100
00050010-10043200
Thank you in advance

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!