Hacking Gaming Review Is Wii U Worth It?

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can easily get a Switch Lite or regular Switch with joyCons/charger for that on eBay. Sometimes even with dock.
Not worth it.
Correction: Not worth it to you. Definitely worth it to me. The Switch cannot play Wii U exclusives like Xenoblades X, Windwaker HD, Wii Fit U, etc., etc., and it is not compatible with Wii and GameCube games, let alone DS, and I can use my Wii peripherals with Wii U. And with VC and injects, you get to keep your retro games unlike the ludicrous rental situation on Switch. It is also a lot harder to mod a Switch.

Some of us have zero interest in a Switch at any price.

Reactions: Blythe93 and kr1v

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Correction: Not worth it to you. Definitely worth it to me. The Switch cannot play Wii U exclusives like Xenoblades X, Windwaker HD, Wii Fit U, etc., etc., and it is not compatible with Wii and GameCube games, let alone DS, and I can use my Wii peripherals with Wii U. And with VC and injects, you get to keep your retro games unlike the ludicrous rental situation on Switch. It is also a lot harder to mod a Switch.

Some of us have zero interest in a Switch at any price.
Wii Fit U :rofl2:
If those are all the Wii U exclusives you could list then I think that says it all.
Compare those 3, versus the dozens the Switch has. It makes no sense to get a Wii U over a Switch. It makes sense to get one if you already have a Switch, and you have money to burn, or you're a collector.
If you want to play Wii and GameCube games and VC the Wii does that perfectly and is like 10% of the price. You can almost get a Switch and a Wii for the same price as a Wii U. Which will play everything you listed except the 3 exclusives, and much more.

DS games should work quite well on Switchroot Android. Drastic is not a demanding emulator. Even many GC games run quite well on the Switch, so DS should be no problem at all.
Granted that does require modding it. Modding a Switch gives you so much more than modding a Wii U does though, so it's worth the hassle.

Sounds like you're just hating on the Switch for no reason since you're completely ignoring the huge library of games (including exclusives) it has, plus, it's portable, comes with 2 controllers so you can play multiplayer right out of the box, it has the superior Mario Kart, it has the superior Smash, emulators run much better on it, and there are still games being released for it.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
IMO WiiU is worth it, and worth much more compared to its price.
I bought mine for $250 in 2014 and it's still working fine, Gamepad is like new. It's now an emulation station and I still enjoy every moment with my WiiU.

Btw, you can find one for less than $100 if you search more. People here advising you to get a switch instead because of the high price tag. $270 is not reasonable.

HelpfulHooty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
IMO WiiU is worth it, and worth much more compared to its price.
I bought mine for $250 in 2014 and it's still working fine, Gamepad is like new. It's now an emulation station and I still enjoy every moment with my WiiU.

Btw, you can find one for less than $100 if you search more. People here advising you to get a switch instead because of the high price tag. $270 is not reasonable.
I agree. It's a fun system and alot bang for your buck. Price wise, I got my first Wii U for 100€ with gamepad from local Gregs list and a second one without gamed for 40£ from ebay. However both were the 8gb model but since I use extrenal sdd anyways this has not been an issue for me, at least so far. The gamepad seems to be priced around 70-80€ ebay but you can probably get it alot cheaper from some local flea market or such but you might need scout for it for some time.

I personally feel that for around 100-150€ the system is most definitely worth the money but that's just my personal opinion.

Reactions: depaul

kr1v

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wii Fit U :rofl2:
If those are all the Wii U exclusives you could list then I think that says it all.
Compare those 3, versus the dozens the Switch has. It makes no sense to get a Wii U over a Switch. It makes sense to get one if you already have a Switch, and you have money to burn, or you're a collector.
If you want to play Wii and GameCube games and VC the Wii does that perfectly and is like 10% of the price. You can almost get a Switch and a Wii for the same price as a Wii U. Which will play everything you listed except the 3 exclusives, and much more.

DS games should work quite well on Switchroot Android. Drastic is not a demanding emulator. Even many GC games run quite well on the Switch, so DS should be no problem at all.
Granted that does require modding it. Modding a Switch gives you so much more than modding a Wii U does though, so it's worth the hassle.

Sounds like you're just hating on the Switch for no reason since you're completely ignoring the huge library of games (including exclusives) it has, plus, it's portable, comes with 2 controllers so you can play multiplayer right out of the box, it has the superior Mario Kart, it has the superior Smash, emulators run much better on it, and there are still games being released for it.
But the menu music, built in browser, Netflix, youtube, Yoshi's wooly world, Splatoon and perfect backwards compatibility with every GCN and Wii game (Granted, you need a Wii/GCN to dump GCN disks but still).

Reactions: depaul and Blythe93

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can almost get a Switch and a Wii for the same price as a Wii U.
I hear this argument pretty often and my reply is always that I never payed more than 50 € for a Wii U with a lot of accessoires. So as long as you can't tell me where to get a Wii with at least 3 Wii Motes + a Nintendo Switch + games for less than 50 € your argument is invalid.

Even many GC games run quite well on the Switch
Many? All gamecube games run on Wii U. So you just gave an argument why the Wii U is better... :P

Sounds like you're just hating on the Switch for no reason
Mirror, mirror on the wall... Why do you hate the Wii U that much, still you are active here in the Wii U section? Note that I don't hate the Switch, I just say for me as a poor guy the Wii U is way more cheap, esp when you look at the running costs (abos and stuff) you need for a Nintendo Switch.

comes with 2 controllers so you can play multiplayer right out of the box
That's good to know. Ofc. all Wii Us I purchased came with all original accessoires. So show me where to get a Wii + at least 3 Wii motes + a Switch with two controllers + games for less than 50 €.

emulators run much better on it
Source?

kr1v

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Probably that its a newer console lol, and to add on to your argument, I got my Wii U for 70 euros, and used my Wiimotes from my Wii instead of buying new ones.
I do have a switch, for super mario odyssey, and honestly the only reason I got a Wii U over the switch, is because like 90% of first party games were better ports of wii u games (2020 ish). The new 3ds or 2ds are just better portables than the switch too, more interactivity or something it's called.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I never payed more than 50 € for a Wii U with a lot of accessoires
I got my Wii U for 70 euros
Those are some nice deal, especially if they are well preserved. Even if those are just for gaming, not really keeping, those are really good prices.
I've got my first Wii U for 130 Euros, second one for 140 or so, both were in pretty decent shape, especially the second one. Sadly, none of them came with the extra accessories. That's when I started buying all the cheap regular Wiis and Wii Minis to get some Wii Remotes. And the rest is history... That's how I got into collecting Nintendo consoles and accessories and what a rabbit hole it turned out to be...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I hear this argument pretty often and my reply is always that I never payed more than 50 € for a Wii U with a lot of accessoires. So as long as you can't tell me where to get a Wii with at least 3 Wii Motes + a Nintendo Switch + games for less than 50 € your argument is invalid.

Many? All gamecube games run on Wii U. So you just gave an argument why the Wii U is better... :P

Mirror, mirror on the wall... Why do you hate the Wii U that much, still you are active here in the Wii U section? Note that I don't hate the Switch, I just say for me as a poor guy the Wii U is way more cheap, esp when you look at the running costs (abos and stuff) you need for a Nintendo Switch.

That's good to know. Ofc. all Wii Us I purchased came with all original accessoires. So show me where to get a Wii + at least 3 Wii motes + a Switch with two controllers + games for less than 50 €.

Source?
If you can get a Wii U for €50 it's a no brainer. Still doesn't make my argument invalid, when you look at eBay prices they are all overpriced. So you are lucky if you get a good deal, it's not the norm.

I don't hate the WIi U, it's just not worth paying $150+ for. That's what I told the OP.

Reactions: kr1v

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up