Hacking Gaming Review Is Wii U Worth It?

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoyed my Wii U, especially after I modded it. Although most of the Wii U's library has been ported to the Switch now, it's still a plenty enjoyable console. Not for that price though. Check local listings before eBay--you'll find much better prices.

Reactions: Blythe93 and kr1v

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The games are so expensive tho... Do you even gave a wii u? Anyone who does will recommend wii u over ns I'm pretty sure
I have a Wii U, yes. I enjoyed it for a while. Don't have much reason to play it these days, since everything is on Switch and the Switch is just the Wii U idea done better.

Guess you could hack the Switch if the games are too expensive for you.

Reactions: ScaryHobbit

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
The Wii U is interesting for real interested Modders and Devs.
A Switch in that Way is Modding Crap for Script Kiddies....

But it is your Choice:
An "old" but very interesting Console for Modding but no new Games.
or
A Console for Children to Mod and actual Kiddy Games.

luvcy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Update: I just looked at the console I was going to buy, about to buy it, and it said "item not available" I'm assuming that means that someone bought it? Right?
Aww sorry to hear that D:
I'm sure a new one with an even better deal will pop up at any moment, keep watching the market!

Not really if you get a unpatched V1 unit.
Those are way more expensive than a Wii U, at least in Europe.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Those are way more expensive than a Wii U, at least in Europe.
Where I live, unpatched Switch with its standard accessories (console, joycon pair with two straps, dock, AC adapter and an HDMI cable) goes for $330-385. I've purchased my first Switch for around $275 and the second one for $320.
As for the Wii Us, those with the least amount of accessories (console, gamepad, console and gamepad AC adapters and an HDMI cable) go for $140-200, which is definitely way more affordable.

Finding a decent units with minimum wear is challenging, of course, but at least it's not as hard as it is with Play Station consoles. They really get abused a lot and can take a lot of abuse and still look fairy decent. Even touching the Wii U will make a few micro scratches...

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It was my favorite TV console ever until the Switch arrived. It may still be (the Switch got me pretty hyped and entertained for the past few years so).
We gotta be honest in that it doesn't have too many games (since it sold very poorly) and isn't really powerful when compared to anything else of its era. A usual Nintendo console in that regard.
However, if you are a Nintendo fan, then this is definitely the best all-round console. It literally plays three generations of Nintendo home consoles natively (GC, Wii, Wii U) and all earlier ones via emulation (may struggle with N64 here and there).
It also plays PSX and any other retro system up to it pretty fine thanks to RetroArch and/or standalone emulators on both, the Wii U and the vWii side.
Speaking if which: It literally has a complete Wii included, called the Virtual Wii (vWii). That means that it not only plays GC and Wii games (as already mentioned) natively but also just forwards all homebrew achievements that the Wii community had (and still earns) directly to any Wii U owner automatically. You can also use any original controller for the GC, Wii and Wii U natively for a variety of things and thanks to CFW and homebrews/modules you can even use other controllers like Xbox, Dual Shock, Xiaomi, whatever.

Much (or most) of what I wrote only applies if you hack it (both the Wii U and vWii side). Luckily enough, both is super easily doable.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Also, is there any hshop for vWii? I've heard of something called the Riishop? Has anyone heard of that?
There's a certain site we aren't allowed to link to which, so far, had everything I ever needed for my (v)Wii, GameCube and other older consoles. Riishop only recently entered the public beta as you can see here. No opinions on it, unfortunately.

Awesomesauce3ds

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With further considerations, I have decided to give this a break. Partially because I need more time to think about whether or not I want to spend around 170$ on some of the more decent deals, or if I want to maybe get something else. Ex: My own pair of skis, more Nintendo switch online, new games, etc. I've already bought a N3DSXL with cfw. (B9S, Luma) I think that for now that's enough. I think Maybe sometime in the future I might consider it. Thanks to everyone who contributed, and helped out. This matter hasn't come to an end, but I will write in it when if ever I decide to buy a Wii U. Thanks again.

HelpfulHooty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
With further considerations, I have decided to give this a break. Partially because I need more time to think about whether or not I want to spend around 170$ on some of the more decent deals, or if I want to maybe get something else. Ex: My own pair of skis, more Nintendo switch online, new games, etc. I've already bought a N3DSXL with cfw. (B9S, Luma) I think that for now that's enough. I think Maybe sometime in the future I might consider it. Thanks to everyone who contributed, and helped out. This matter hasn't come to an end, but I will write in it when if ever I decide to buy a Wii U. Thanks again.

You are welcome and it has not gone to waste by any means since the thread might help someone else pondering the same question. I feel like you kinda sorta need to want to use Wii U for more than it was orginally designed for, for example playing older Nintendo systems to make it worth it. And there is nothing wrong if that's not your cup of tea right now or even in the future.

It's a fun system to screw around with but I feel anyone getting one needs to understand that there are limits to what it can do.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Which Nintendo console would everyone recommend? GbaSp or Wii U? I've been thinking about both.
Latest and greatest, the Switch? :D Well, for the latest Nintendo games and some third party ones, I guess.
I'm not sure how good the emulation is on the Switch as I haven't tested it yet (i've been busy with work among everything else), but Wii U is pretty good with what it can handle. My first ever Nintendo console was Wii U and I'm still having a great time with it.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With a modded Wii U the emulation capabilities for legacy systems is a big plus, but the best reason to get one is native Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U over HDMI. (You'll also need a GC controller adapter, get a real Nintendo one if you can)

Reactions: Blythe93

Dakangel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Which Nintendo console would everyone recommend? GbaSp or Wii U? I've been thinking about both.
The Wii U because you already have a 3DS and that handheld console can play all the original DS games and with a proper emulator you can play all the GBA games on it, not to mention the brighter and better screen than the GBASP.

Ohh one more thing, the Wii U can run and play a great amount of original DS games (GBA, SNES, etc... too) via injection, a very easy method, having the oportunity to use your TV and the Gamepad in the same fashion.

I would recommend an old 2DS better, so you don't have to worry about hinges, it looks and holds like a GBA and have all the DS, 3DS compatibility.

The Switch is a great console but is just an ARM tablet and when Nintendo drops the online service you can say goodbye at all the retro games.

Definitelly get a Wii U ,it has a lot of hidden power awaiting.

Reactions: Blythe93

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto