Wii Shop revival service "RiiShop" enters public beta

Many people remember the Wii days fondly with its gimmick controls, memorable in-app music and homebrew friendly system. Ever since the discontinuation of the Wii Shop service back in January 30th, 2019, users could no longer purchase new titles through it, and were only left with the option to redownload already purchased titles.

Since then, a few homebrew developers have worked on a revival service, formerly known as "LaunchShop" to recreate the Wii Shop servers back when they were fully accessible. As of January 8th, 2024, this revival service has been rebranded into "RiiShop", and is now publicly available for Wii users in a WAD format.

The current open beta can be installed in homebrewed Wii systems as a WAD, and users can enter the Wii Shop menu and browse Virtual Console and WiiWare games, as well as Wii channels that were originally available, complete with what seems to be dummy Wii Points to redeem, but with nothing to do with them at the moment due to downloads not working on the current build yet. It's worth nothing that this will apparently work like a free Shop to download titles from, with no currency being involved.

As with any product in beta, expect some issues to pop up, and bare in mind that the public beta might not have download working, since many people online are reporting downloads not being possible as of yet.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So uhm... who gets the points if you refill?
That's what I'd like to know.
I want to believe that the points end up in your Wii Shop account and that the entire Wii Shop title list is somehow grabbed from Nintendo's official servers (since apparently users can still redownload purchased titles).

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That's what I'd like to know.
I want to believe that the points end up in your Wii Shop account and that the entire Wii Shop title list is somehow grabbed from Nintendo's official servers (since apparently users can still redownload purchased titles).
One can hope but it's just a matter of time before that is closed as well.
Because if they take payment, Nintendo will bring the full hammer.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
is it paying for pirate games, or am I reading wrong?

this raises 2 more questions:

- what's the point to the piracy if it is not free?

- when gbatemp allowed warez again? I'm happy to know that now it is allowed to share this kind of stuff

Why would this be warez? It's simply a WAD made to reenable and redirect Wii Shop stuff to a working service.
This is supposed to reuse/repurpose the already existing Wii Shop from what I gather, this DOESN'T let you download games for free, just fyi, or at least it doesn't right now. If it does later on then yeah, it could be piracy, but until then.

Why would I want to pay for WADs that I can already find on the internet?

Sure was something.

The WAD isn't paid for, that's for free and available for download as public beta, it's the Wii Points that you need to pay for, just like in the original Wii Shop.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Why would this be warez? It's simply a WAD made to reenable and redirect Wii Shop stuff to a working service.
This is supposed to reuse/repurpose the already existing Wii Shop from what I gather, this DOESN'T let you download games for free, just fyi.

The WAD isn't paid for, that's for free and available for download as public beta, it's the Wii Points that you need to pay for, just like in the original Wii Shop.
So, Super Mario World on Virtual Console was available on wiishop, now I will be able to buy it, but not from Nintendo, but from someone else, is that correct?
This someone else is pirating and selling? Like selling a burned PS1 CD, something like that?

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
So uhm... who gets the points if you refill?
From their Discord server:

1705429883604.png

this DOESN'T let you download games for free, just fyi.
Also from their Discord server:

1705429854753.png

This is straight up piracy lol.

This reminds me of FreeShop on the 3DS.
Can work exactly like that. All contents are still on the CDN and you can generate your own tickets since the titlekey algorithm has been leaked. Which would be a great way to get ninja'd by Nintendo obviously.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From their Discord server:

View attachment 414288

View attachment 414287

Can work exactly like that. All contents are still on the CDN and you can generate your own tickets since the titlekey algorithm has been leaked. Which would be a great way to get ninja'd by Nintendo obviously.
So GBAtemp purposely promoted piracy on their site? :rofl2:
And I'm sure that's one way to get Nintendo Ninja'd.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

View attachment 414287

Are they really doing that?
This is just asking for Nintendo to shut them down real quick.
Well at least I got confirmation from that tho, guess I was just misreading stuff from outside the Discord

Wonder what they mean with "charging for other games is illegal"?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder what they mean with "charging for other games is illegal"?
As in selling pirated games, I'm pretty sure they're doing the exact opposite. By letting users download WiiWare and VC software for free, which is piracy.

Reactions: Blythe93

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto