Hacking Why you deserve a 5.5 kernel exploit, but also why you can't have one

Selver

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. The first time I booted up the Gateway launcher, I backed up my virgin 9.2U sysnand. Rxmode and emunand won't work for me, the 2DS just hangs. But I can reboot into pasta patch mode and stuff works. Just wish I could cold boot it into that mode.

Oddly, 9.2 isn't as stable for downgrading to 2.1 as 10.3 appeared to be (on a small N3DS sample). This pain in getting homebrew loaded with pre-A9LH hax (such as CN, OoT, etc.) are why A9LH is a major reason that those who love homebrew seem to also love A9LH.

Jow Banks

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i mean it kinda did 2 or so weeks ago but y'all don't really pay attention
Anything to do with this?
%u0160%u0044%u002e%u00c7%u0038%u00e2%u002f%u2039%u007e%u00af%u0074%u0050%u0041%u0058%u00cb%u0051%u002e%u00cf%u00ce%u00cd%u002e%u00cd%u00e6%u0058%u002e%u0044%u00d6%u00b9%u006e%u017e%u2021%u00ee%u00c1%u0065%u00d1%u0043%u002c%u2014%u00a8%u00ee%u005e%u0051%u004e%u00fb%u0062%u0025%u00a2%u002d

Last edited by Jow Banks,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Get ARM9loaderhax/proper CFW coldboot, you won't regret it.
So AuReiNand seems to be the popular one, right? This stuff moves fast, and I just want to install .CIAs and play them from coldboot. I'll see if I can install A9LH in the coming week.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this turned into 3ds thread
aaaaaaand back to Wii U

Why you deserve a 5.5 kernel exploit but also why you can't have one: ppc kernel bugs are difficult to find cause smol, iosu kernel bugs are easy to find but take time to exploit cause you gotta do more rop in a different language to run code on a different processor and then do the exploit so it's like 7 steps vs 3. End of story, I'm here all week folks

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a lot of people here seem to fall into two categories:
- shaming developers who don't release exploits, call them childish
- shaming people who want a release (whiners), call them childish

And I think we've got a bit of this going on: http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2939

That is, outside of the loud, obnoxious people, there are valid opinions that can be had here. Yet due to those very people, both sides view the other side as somewhat toxic.

There's two worlds:

1. Exploit is released to the public

Pros:
- People can use the exploit on at least 5.5.1
- Developers without the exploit can use it to develop homebrew/wii u sdk apps
- Developers interested in exploiting can learn from it and potentially help exploit in the future
- Kernel homebrew can be run on store-bought Wii U's
- Builds the "community"

Cons:
- Nintendo would definitely have the exploit and could patch in a future release
- It's been held private for this long, might as well keep waiting (don't make the waiting pointless)

2. Exploit is kept private until another exploit is public

Pros:
- The (rumored to be very stable) kernel exploit can be used in the future
- With a future deeper exploit (such as IOSU) it would be very useful to have a stable kernel entrypoint
- People who are "in the know" can technically request access to further their understanding now
- Nintendo can't easily patch it if it's not released
- Potentially builds the long-term "community"

Cons:
- If a new private exploit came about and followed this same logic, neither would be public
- Latest Wii U firmware is not exploitable
- Developers who could request access might not want to, as they would prefer it be available to all

Assumptions made:
- There is only one 5.5.1 kernel exploit that works
- That exploit is stable
- That exploit would be perfect for deeper level playing later
- Nintendo would actively patch the exploit

These are not the only arguments that can be made, and there are surely more factors at work here. These are some of the most popular "valid" points that I've seen be made by both sides.

I'd like this thread to be an argument. But I'd also like the argument to focus solely around these pros/cons/assumptions (or new VALID ones). No whining or calling the other side childish. I have the impression that a lot of developers that have the kernel exploit are more quiet than not quiet because anything that they say can be a lightning rod for flamers. This is a "safe space" in that regard. But please, let your opinion be known.

everyone keeps on saying ''nintendo will patch exploit'' Like what does this even mean? Like doesn't blocking nintendo update stop any patches? i

Reactions: joacosur15

wartimekillers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Ok, maybe in the next update nintendo wont be patch the kernel exploit, but it will surely patch the userland exploit, and that kernell exploit will be useless in next update. For now i just dont get the logic to keep kernel exploit private.
Btw i can careless about this kernel exploit, like i said before, i deleted tubehax dns, and have fun with online access and eshop.
Its just too long and so many speculation about kernel exploit. Im waiting from december, hoping that i can play Jap region games on my US console if theres any hack, but that amount of time is not worthed anymore.
I do noticed theres a good developer that share everything they've got and childish developer that keep their work private but telling everyone that he's got things that people in this scene wanted. its just childish.
But the most annoying in this kind of conversation is the massive force from "The childish devs asslicker".

Xplic1T

Trophies
XP
Country
How about you all stop complaining and just get yourself a 5.4 or sub console ?

Look for Older Bundles....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system