Hacking Why you deserve a 5.5 kernel exploit, but also why you can't have one

Selver

Trophies
XP
Country
By the way, is 9.2U really still the firmware to be on, since I have OoTHax now and my BrowserHax still works on my 9.2U 2DS?

It's the right starting point, as it enables you to take a backup of you sysNAND (critical if you don't trust its reliability) and be able to backup.

However, you might also want to read up on more recent developments.
In December 2015 at CCCC in Germany, initial details of bugs in Arm9Loader were disclosed.
See https://gbatemp.net/threads/arm9loader-technical-details-and-discussion.408537/.

If you follow that thread's first post (and its sub-parts), you will discover that these Arm9Loader bugs cascaded into a significant security vulnerability, such that code execution was achieved even before the official 3DS firmware. Moreover, while initially limited to N3DS, it was later applied successfully to O3DS also.

This was a large combination of exploits and previously known vulnerabilities increasing the reliability of exploits. But really, that thread (at least via the first post links) has quite a bit of the information.

TLDR; Multiple CFW of users' choice are now available, which execute even before any official firmware, with 99% of the data on SysNAND, and low likelihood that this can be fixed by any updated later-released firmware.

At this time, the only aspects of 3DS that I believe remain secure relate to BOOTROM-set crypto keys.

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It's the right starting point, as it enables you to take a backup of you sysNAND (critical if you don't trust its reliability) and be able to backup.

However, you might also want to read up on more recent developments.
In December 2015 at CCCC in Germany, initial details of bugs in Arm9Loader were disclosed.
See https://gbatemp.net/threads/arm9loader-technical-details-and-discussion.408537/.

If you follow that thread's first post (and its sub-parts), you will discover that these Arm9Loader bugs cascaded into a significant security vulnerability, such that code execution was achieved even before the official 3DS firmware. Moreover, while initially limited to N3DS, it was later applied successfully to O3DS also.

This was a large combination of exploits and previously known vulnerabilities increasing the reliability of exploits. But really, that thread (at least via the first post links) has quite a bit of the information.

TLDR; Multiple CFW of users' choice are now available, which execute even before any official firmware, with 99% of the data on SysNAND, and low likelihood that this can be fixed by any updated later-released firmware.

At this time, the only aspects of 3DS that I believe remain secure relate to BOOTROM-set crypto keys.
Thanks. The first time I booted up the Gateway launcher, I backed up my virgin 9.2U sysnand. Rxmode and emunand won't work for me, the 2DS just hangs. But I can reboot into pasta patch mode and stuff works. Just wish I could cold boot it into that mode.

sys64738

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I think hackers/exploit devs waiting for NX is released.
I remember as Smea announced Ninjhax he has too waited to release it as New 3DS came out.

Yami Anubis ZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first I wanted the exploit but now that I've thought about it, I think he should release the exploit a year or so from now considering console NX will be coming this year, that way, when he releases it, Nintendo won't patch it because they will be dedicating resources and such to console NX, why would they wanna patch Wii U.

I never really knew Nintendo updated firmware automatically, when the system is shut down, I thought I would be on a good exploitable firmware cause I haven't had mine on for months, oh well, when I realized that, I just deleted my Wifi connection, so that my firmware stays on an exploitable firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1