Hacking "Which Flash Cart Should I Get?" - Poll.

Which flash carts should be included?

• Acekard 2.1

Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Acekard 2i

Votes: 92 42.2%
  • Acekard R.P.G.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • AmazeKard

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • CycloDS Evolution

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • CycloDS iEvolution

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • DSTT

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • DSTTi

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • EDGE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iEDGE

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • EX4DS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EZ-Flash Vi

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • iSmart MM

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • iSmart Premium

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • M3 DS Real

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • M3i Zero

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • R4 Original Model (Wood Supported)

Votes: 47 21.6%
  • R4i Gold/3DS (Wood Supported Models)

Votes: 115 52.8%
  • Supercard DSONEi

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Supercard DSTWO

Votes: 129 59.2%

• Total voters

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So the Which Flash Cart Should I Get? sticky had the listed carts chosen via this public poll poll for it's inception.

Now, given the following changes...
  1. Some carts no longer recieve support/updates, rendering them an unwise purchasing decision.
  2. Some cart that had promise at the time may have failed to live up to expectations or worsened over time somehow.
  3. Some carts that were relatively-new at the time have had time to be accepted into the community.
  4. Some carts that seemed to have low or dead support have suddenly become more active.
  5. The 3DS has come out with multiple updates, putting the support of more flash carts to the test.
I feel it's time to refresh the list via another public poll.

The poll allows more than one answer because this isn't a poll to determine a single flash cart, it's a poll to see which ones the most users think deserve to be mentioned in the list. Take note that this is a suggestion list, so if you would not suggest new users to buy the cart, then you should not vote for it. The poll will be open until I feel that enough users have voted that we have an appreciably-large sample size.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I voted for four carts:

1) Acekard 2i: With AKAIO, you truly can't go wrong. It's an inexpensive cart, works on everything (last I checked), and has top notch compatibility (which actually says relatively little these days).

2) Original R4 (1:1 clone, of course): It's the best choice for the DS phat/lite user on a budget. At the price of maybe $13 or $15 total to get up and running (including 2GB MicroSD purchase), and with the Wood kernel, it's a great choice.

3) R4i Gold/3DS: Acekard 2i offers more for about the same price point, but if you can find one of these cheaper, about the only thing truly lacking is the anti-AP feature.

4) Supercard DSTwo: Obviously the best cart available for many reasons.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I might as well chip in my reasoning since I voted too...

1. AK2i. The 2.1 is cheaper, but only by 1-2 bucks, and you limit yourself on the future. 1-2 bucks is nothing when you get access to all sorts of homebrew and people will be pirating anyways. As above, AKAIO/support is the reason.

2. EZ-Flash Vi. Modern cart with some nicer features than the 2i, at a slightly-larger price. Proven a mainstay, though not one that stands out.

3. R4 Original. While, like the 2.1, this doesn't work on new DS models, it's dirt-cheap. $4 or less in some shops.

4. R4i Gold/3DS. Direct competitor to the Ak2i. Similar features/price and proper support.

5. DSTwo. Do I even have to explain? Powerhouse cart with tons of unique features and still less than the price of a normal game in the US. The only negative about it other than the fitting issue is the power drain worry, and tests have shown it to be minor.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Not saying what I voted for (but I thing many can guess a couple of them by my Sig) ....

It's a shame I've not tried any of the 'newer' ones (e.g. Amazecard) & have to base my vote on reviews for those
Personally - I voted for ones that are still regularly 'supported'

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
These were my votes, in descending order of preference:
  1. Supercard DStwo: The SCDS2 is the flagship of all DS flashcarts, as unanimously stated by everyone here. It also has an alternate loader called iMenu, which is visually pretty sweet and highly customizable. One of the most expensive carts, but in this case you get what you pay for in terms of features.
  2. Acekard 2i: Its unoffiicial loader for AK2i, AKAIO, has great support. MAIO for Acekard 2i provides all the functionality of AKAIO with an awesome GUI (which allows you to boot commercial ROMs directly from Moonshell 2).
  3. R4i Gold 3DS: WoodR4 provides a simple menu and none of the advanced features like SCDS2, but it works great. You can even use MAIO for R4 if you want a nicer GUI. As the name suggests, it works with the 3DS (as do SCDS2 and AK2i).
  4. R4 (original and 1:1 clones): Uses WoodR4 (and MAIO) and is similar in function to R4i Gold 3DS, except that it doesn't support SDHC (so it only accepts 2GB cards or 4GB non-SDHC cards), and it doesn't work on the 3DS. Extremely cheap.
It should also be noted that these four all use the usrcheat.dat file, which is one of the three formats regularly updated by CMP via the DS-Scene ROM tool (the other two formats being user.evoCheats for CycloDS Evo/iEvo and cheats.dat for EDGE/iEDGE). It's worth mentioning this because I know that the M3i Zero and M3 DS Real use the cheat.db format, which is not supported by the DS-Scene ROM tool. This makes it difficult to find updated cheat files for the M3 unless you know how to convert from one cheat file format to another (not that I would recommend any M3 flashcarts).

I would strongly discourage anyone from buying the M3i Zero, M3 DS Real and CycloDS Evolution / iEvolution because they are no longer supported (officially or unofficially).

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
First of all since most games released for the DS, I put all cards I own/have owned here that have worked for most of the DS life for me.

In no particular order:

1. R4 - Needs no explanation. WoodR4 and a DS/DSL and you're ready to go. Cheapest option available.

2. CycloDS Evolution - Excellent card and works for most of the DS games. No support anymore, but so far it hasn't let me down. Possibly the best DS/DSL card out there with the limitations mentioned before. (Also if you hate the card, don't get it. It's just that simple). (Also my first cart. Still going strong since 2008)

3. Acekard 2i - Basically the same as the original R4 except with DSi support! Fast updates, great support with AKAIO

4. Supercard DSTwo - Lots of features and the only way to get GBA support via flashcarts on a DSi/DSiXL/3DS. Apparently great emulation features, but I tend to use my PSP Go for that (better support because of better original hardware).

(5. CycloDS iEvolution - Same as the Evolution except with DSi mode. Just for testing, but not really that amazing on the DSi/DSiXL/3DS if you updated the console. One more firmware update could have saved the cart for DSi/DSiXL consoles, but since it never happened, I'll just leave this here.)

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I just voted for the flashcarts that i own and would recommend as i've had no experience with the others.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You're gonna hear the same from me like from many others who may post, but I'm gonna post the reasons anyway.

Original R4DS (1:1 reproduction) is definitely a worthwhile flashcart for any DS Lite users on a budget, the flashcart itself can be picked up for about $3-6 and it can use up to 2gb microSD cards, and run the popular Wood firmware.

For that same reason, R4i Gold/3DS with its added 3DS/DSi support and SDHC support, being able to use Wood R4 firmware makes it highly attractive as well.

Acekard 2i is a similar flashcart with reliable firmware updates and the famous AKAIO firmware, with excellent compatibility and runs software both homebrew and commercial impeccably. I can remember bygone days where some games may run, but they had noticable jarring pauses in games like Pokémon Platinum when entering battles or towns. Issues being resolved like this is a testament to the accomplished AKAIO firmware.

And finally there's the Supercard DSTwo, the premium of DS flashcarts. A bit more costly around the $35 dollar range, these babies sport an internal processor that enables it to do some revolutionary things like playing video formats without the need to convert (like with Moonshell), and emulate both GBA and SNES titles.
My favourite features are part of the DS rom compatibility however, its anti-piracy circumvention is unbeaten in the flashcart scene and almost every new scene release has worked on day one. There has only been a very few games that have needed patching or updating of the firmware.
On top of that, it has the best real-time menu of any flashcart, with four save-state slots of great reliability, the ability to load an unlimited number of .txt or .bmp files as game guides, the ability to toggle cheat codes without interrupting the game, and other small things like soft-reset or memory hacking.
It really is the dream flashcart.

On that last note I need to state why I do not recommend the CycloDS iEvolution. Sadly this is a flashcart past its prime, whilst it was a worthy improvement over the original R4DS at its inception, before the age of the DSi, its feature set has not been improved upon with its DSi incarnation.
The operating system has not been significantly improved upon from its original version, only the addition of a touchy DSi-mode. Whilst it allows DSi-enhanced titles to be run in DSi-mode (such as pokémon black/white), as well as homebrew and non-DSi enhanced titles, these games tend to run unreliably, with bugs or freezes.
The real-time menu, which CycloDS brought first to the DS scene, is pitiful compared to the DSTwo. It is very slow to actually display when summoned, and offers only one real-time save (which must be prepared before loading the ROM), only one .txt file that does not even support word-wrap, and does not take advantage of touch-screen capabilities.
On top of all that, they CycloDS team seemed to have disbanded, firmware updates that improve game release compatibility do not exist with no alternative firmwares.
I truly loved the original CycloDS at its prime, the same can be said of the original R4DS, but it no longer satisfies the needs of an active DS player.

Reactions: 1 person

mybluered

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In fact, R4i Gold 3DS(www.r4ids.cn) and ak2i are almost the same. R4i Gold 3DS is supported by WOOD R4 and ak2i is supported by akaio.Both can support NDSL/NDSi/NDS XL/3DS and SDHC tf card. I think R4i Gold 3DS doing better than ak2i when coming to the ds's system updating. It seems that r4i gold 3ds always releases the patch faster than ak2i.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In fact, R4i Gold 3DS(www.r4ids.cn) and ak2i are almost the same. R4i Gold 3DS is supported by WOOD R4 and ak2i is supported by akaio.Both can support NDSL/NDSi/NDS XL/3DS and SDHC tf card. I think R4i Gold 3DS doing better than ak2i when coming to the ds's system updating. It seems that r4i gold 3ds always releases the patch faster than ak2i.
I agree. I've switched from Ace to the R4i. Mainly because of the contact issues that happen with most acekards.

bigboss2011

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I switched from ak2i to the R4i gold 3DS , now I am using R4i gold 3ds .I think it really easy to install , what's more the wood r4 firmware is great! :D

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Voted for the N5 ;)

DSTWO - Great, onboard CPU able to emulate GBA, a very nice thing on DSi and 3DS consoles. Updated quickly, nice interface and a few replacement ones.

AK2i - Bought one for my little brother for Christmas, loaded up the launcher on it and was very impressed. Works great, also updated well, and AKAIO is very simple and easy to use.

Also, forgot to add, I would only recommend cards with an reflashable bootloader at this point. Even if the card is going to be used for a DS Lite ONLY, the cards can NEVER be used on a DSi or 3DS. Yeah, the R4 may be $4 USD, but when an AK2i is $15, which still isn't super expensive, why limit yourself from the future?

Gamefun

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
R4i gold 3ds is the best. B-)
1st,R4i gold 3ds upgrade the Kernel and patch at the very first time,it's an improvement!
2nd,R4i gold 3ds works great as Acekard 2i and Supercard DStwo,but easier to use.
3rd,R4i gold 3ds is the cheapest.

XixiLiu

Trophies
XP
i think R4i Gold 3ds is useful,very good!the wood R4 is stable,support a lot of version and NDSL/NDSi/NDS XL/3DS and SDHC tf card.more important,it's
very cheep!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ack slow wifi