What's your stance on same-sex marriage and adoption?

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Enryx25, Oct 12, 2018.

?
  1. Pro marriage, Pro adoption

102 vote(s)
    76.1%
  2. Pro marriage, Against adoption

8 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. Against marriage, Pro adoption

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. Against marriage, Against adoption

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. I'm against LGBT people

14 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    I'm cool with this. I have a few friends that are gay/lesbian and they are wonderful people. If marriage makes them happy then go for it. Love is love no matter what gender the couple are.

2. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    Love is love. It’s all good. Marry the one you love. Makes sense to me. On adoption, not everyone has the ability (physically) to have/carry a child. So adoption is a great option for someone to become a parent. There a lot of kids all over the world that need homes/able parents.

Porobu, AmandaRose and Subtle Demise like this.
  3. lolboy

lolboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2009
    Netherlands

I correct myself. I did not read "or no parents at all." part. My mistake.

4. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    If I could word it differently, I'd just say let people live their lives and be happy.
    They're human beings, not objects that should necessarily be sorted by specific attributes.
    As for the adoption, once again, I'd rather have good human beings as parents instead of shitty ones, regardless of their status, gender, identity, belief, etc.

If that makes a bit more sense :)

Porobu, Minox, KingVamp and 3 others like this.
  5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    People do what they're gonna do, what right do I have to stop them or try to stop them? If people want to be happy, let them.

slaphappygamer and Subtle Demise like this.
  6. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

GBAtemp Patron
    dpad_5678 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    Love is love and that's all that matters. It doesn't concern anybody else.

And why shouldn't any loving couple be able to raise a kid? Who the fuck is anyone to say otherwise? Sorry, but I don't respect homophobes. It's only their fault that they're scared of gay people.

7. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    Pro on both. No argument against either makes sense or is in any way carried by valid data.

8. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    I support gay marriage and adoption.

dpad_5678 and AmandaRose like this.
  9. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    Jesus had 2 dad's...

Porobu, Minox, AmandaRose and 3 others like this.
  10. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    but that's the issue, isn't it? Same sex couples are actively being denied the right to marry and adopt children because someone, somewhere is against it.

11. Hanafuda
    This message by Hanafuda has been removed from public view by AlanJohn, Oct 12, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Oct 12, 2018
  12. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚

pip Developer
    Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Technically speaking, Jesus has one dad (God) that NTR'd the other. If the Bible is to be believed, anyways. What's that you, say? The bible forbids adultery? Uhhhh...apparently God is exempt from that one. Yeah. Let's go with that. :unsure:

As someone on the Autism spectrum, please kindly fuck off with calling that a "problem." I mean this in the kindest way possible.

And no, civil rights issues should be on people's radar. The fact is, they're important to the entire country. If everyone were to look away like that, we'll be in a very bad state down the line.

Last edited by chaoskagami, Oct 12, 2018
    gnmmarechal likes this.
  13. Hanafuda
    This message by Hanafuda has been removed from public view by AlanJohn, Oct 12, 2018, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Oct 12, 2018
  14. chaoskagami
    This message by chaoskagami has been removed from public view by AlanJohn, Oct 12, 2018, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Oct 12, 2018
  15. Exannor

Exannor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    United States
    I personally don't care for it if its a couple raising their adopted child normally with proper discipline, its actually probably better for the child to have a more sustainable family, same-sex or nuclear. Same goes for same-sex marriage, I don't care for it all that much.

The kid is bound to have the same or similar views as the parents when the kid gets older, but its when it's forced at an early age is where it crosses the line. Let the kid think for theirself and be a proper kid, playing house, batman, jump on the trampoline, etc. while they can and when the kid does get into trouble such as bullying, stealing, etc. then discipline should be introduced.

16. Rockman779
    This message by Rockman779 has been removed from public view by DinohScene, Oct 12, 2018, Reason: Bait.
    Oct 12, 2018
  17. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Actually, what you said is precisely the point. People are being actively denied their rights. Sometimes that comes in the form of denial of legal recognition of marriage and whatever privileges that entails. Sometimes that comes in the form of illegal restraint in prison or even murder. It's not a question of whether you're "pro" same-sex marriage or adoption.

It's really a question of whether you're one who conspires to illegally withhold the rights of others. That it might take hundreds or thousands of years after your death for people to realize it was fundamentally illegal? Yes, that's the sad state of human progress on most rights. Too often people think it's the business of themselves to define rights merely as a basis to suppress them.

18. AmandaRose
    This message by AmandaRose has been removed from public view by DinohScene, Oct 12, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Oct 12, 2018
  19. erikas
    This message by erikas has been removed from public view by DinohScene, Oct 12, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Oct 12, 2018
  20. AmandaRose
    This message by AmandaRose has been removed from public view by DinohScene, Oct 12, 2018, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Oct 12, 2018
  21. eherrera322

eherrera322 Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2012
    United States
    USA
    Pro on both sides. Put it this way, does a same sex marriage interfere with your day to day life? Does a same sex couple adopting a child interfere with your everyday life? Exactly, it doesn’t affect in any way. Heck, adopting is awesome but only do it if you have the right necessities and income to do so. And only get married if you are really sure about that individual. Sure people are gonna do whatever they want, but simply put, let people marry whomever they want, it’s their life, their choice, and I’m being nice here, their problem. Let everyone else worry about their life choices, it’s not affecting you in any way, shape or form.

22. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Gay marriage. If the gays want to be as unhappy as every married cunt I have ever met then so be it. I would rather get rid of marriage as any kind of legal affair/status entirely but pending that day then in the modern world I see no reason why it should logically be denied to those looking to fumble matching genitals.

Adoption by the gays. There are arguments against it that I would say hold some water from a logical or scientific perspective, however they are all utterly obviated by "foster care sucks, being adopted by some gays is orders and orders of magnitude better than that and still produces good outcomes, oh look there are loads and loads in foster care".
    The more interesting question is whether I would support the rights of various agencies to choose to consider it (there are race and religion based ones, the latter I have very serious misgivings with) or have it count as a negative in determining things, and to what extent it might count as one. There is also the one for courts in the case of familial or directed adoption and challenges or decisions there. I am not able to get to it being a complete non factor in decision making there, ultimately it would be a fairly minor one but still one. To go one further I would probably say while I happily support the job/school/housing/... parts of legal frameworks dealing with discrimination I would oppose, pending proper studies, a similar line for court adoption proceedings. In the case that the child is able to make a reasonably informed decision then non factor.

That is a curious one.

If I look at all the other apes, no small number of primitive tribes and a fair few less primitive ones as well then there is a rather more communal aspect to things. The household unit as you describe is a rather more modern invention (as in quite some time after the industrial revolution and the move to cities). That is possibly a bit abstract though so a question that works here is "a kid you kind of know is crying, do you try to sort it yourself or try to find its parents? Same question if we remove the "kind of" part?". The answers I have had to that have been eye opening to me, and that is before we discuss the sex of the person in this hypothetical but that is a different topic again. In my case the mere fact it was a question that had different answers beyond "obviously I would help" was somewhat enlightening to me when it was posed, though it explained a lot.

If I have accidentally done the whole strawman bit there then I will walk it back but I would similarly call for a clarification/distinction on your part as the modern world has changed a few things.

23. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    That made me laugh

24. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I voted yes to both.

Personally, I think marriage is an outdated ritual instilled by a cult that caused fear more harm than good in the world (despite its intentions), so I don't understand why anyone of any gender wants to do it. Nonetheless : I respect people's decision to disagree with me (heh... My own parents are married, so it's not all bad).
    The topic is pretty much a non issue here in Belgium, as everyone's allowed to marry anyone (okay : 18+...but that's not the topic).

Adoption... Iirc that's not an issue here either. And frankly : it's pretty stupid to be against adoption as supply is larger than demand. As such the question isn't about the backward issue of whether a child needs two be raised by two genders but whether it has someone raising him /her in the first place.

25. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    Yes to both. If a gay couple wants to ruin the rest of their life, they're free to do so. But I'm against "renting" someone's uterus to have a baby.

26. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ The Adorable Enby

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    Why though? If a woman wants to carry a child for a same-sex couple, why would that be an issue? It's not like they are forced into it. Some couples want a biological child, just like everyone else and they should have that right to do so. If someone else is willing to carry that child for them and willing to put their own body through that, why would that be issue?

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Oct 13, 2018
    AmandaRose likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted