• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What's your stance on same-sex marriage and adoption?

What's your stance on same-sex marriage and adoption?

• Pro marriage, Pro adoption

Votes: 102 76.1%
  • Pro marriage, Against adoption

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Against marriage, Pro adoption

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Against marriage, Against adoption

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I'm against LGBT people

Votes: 14 10.4%

• Total voters

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why though? If a woman wants to carry a child for a same-sex couple, why would that be an issue? It's not like they are forced into it.
There's a line in every person's humanity you don't cross. To me, that's renting your uterus to people. You start by letting people ask friends to do it and then you end with huge businesses to guarantee a "perfect baby" to any couple. Having this option can only lead to the harshest discriminations to people with the smallest genetic imperfections and, to me, it's not right. Note that I would be against this even if straight couples were doing it.

Sure, having this line of thought can lead to healthier generations of people, but what's stopping them from deciding to not have a baby with a person with a genetic predisposition to Huntington and one that's just bald? To me, letting people rent their uterus is the beginning of something catastrophic and I don't like it.

You're free to sell your body the way you want to, but please leave another living human being alone.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's a line in every person's humanity you don't cross. To me, that's renting your uterus to people. You start by letting people ask friends to do it and then you end with huge businesses to guarantee a "perfect baby" to any couple. Having this option can only lead to the harshest discriminations to people with the smallest genetic imperfections and, to me, it's not right. Note that I would be against this even if straight couples were doing it.

Sure, having this line of thought can lead to healthier generations of people, but what's stopping them from deciding to not have a baby with a person with a genetic predisposition to Huntington and one that's just bald? To me, letting people rent their uterus is the beginning of something catastrophic and I don't like it.

You're free to sell your body the way you want to, but please leave another living human being alone.
Expect that's a completely different topic on it's own and not what's happening here. No same-sex couple is going out of their way to make super soldiers, they are just trying to have a child of their own. Also what about heterosexual couples where they can't produce kids for a verity of reasons and need to use a surrogate, are you still applying the same logic there as well?

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Expect that's a completely different topic on it's own and not what's happening here. No same-sex couple is going out of their way to make super soldiers, they are just trying to have a child of their own. Also what about heterosexual couples where they can't produce kids for a verity of reasons, are you still applying the same logic there as well?
As I wrote in the post you just quoted, yes. You want a baby that you can't or don't want to make on your own? Adopt one that already exists. No matter if you're a gay couple, straight or even single. We're already seeing an increasingly number of abortions from people that wanted their kid to be a certain gender and no one talks about it, so I'm 100% sure that a scenario like the one I described will be possible if we allow people to rent uterus like they were nothing.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As I wrote in the post you just quoted, yes. You want a baby that you can't or don't want to make on your own? Adopt one that already exists. No matter if you're a gay couple, straight or even single. We're already seeing an increasingly number of abortions from people that wanted their kid to be a certain gender and no one talks about it, so I'm 100% sure that a scenario like the one I described will be possible if we allow people to rent uterus like they were nothing.
You are talking about 3 different topics here and none of them are a reasonable argument against surrogacy. Equally what's stopping someone from adopting and having a surrogate child? Some people actually want to carry on their family's genetics and surrogacy is often the only way to do that. That doesn't mean that they can't also adopt a child too. This isn't some black and white situation.

Reactions: VinsCool

Hoppy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it is good. I don't have anything against it, but I don't really have anything to say about it, either...
As long as you're being yourself, I feel it is good.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

That's OK, science has your back here if renting a womb or using donor eggs is a problem. It seems both human egg cells have been made from other human cells ( https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...an-eggs-out-blood-cells-first-time-180970388/ ) and that complex mammalian life has been grown in a bag/artificial womb ( https://www.iflscience.com/health-a...ully-grow-premature-lamb-for-the-second-time/ ).

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You are talking about 3 different topics here and none of them are a reasonable argument against surrogacy. Equally what's stopping someone from adopting and having a surrogate child? Some people actually want to carry on their family's genetics and surrogacy is often the only way to do that. That doesn't mean that they can't also adopt a child too. This isn't some black and white situation.
Why do people choose to buy puppies from a breeder instead of a stray? Because they want it to be a certain way, a certain breed. The only reason people adopt strays is because it's morally right, there is no other reason. And if you think that this comparison is too superficial, well, that's just how many people see kids as: propriety. Again, many people decide to abort their baby for frivolous reasons, like the "wrong" gender.

I just don't feel comfortable with letting people have too much liberty of choice when it comes to human lives, that's all. Remember that, on average, half of the nation you live in is a lot more stupid than you. People that have sold their kids for drugs, or doing drugs themselves during pregnancy, or overall being an awful parent. Most of these things are thankfully illegal.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's OK, science has your back here if renting a womb or using donor eggs is a problem. It seems both human egg cells have been made from other human cells ( https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...an-eggs-out-blood-cells-first-time-180970388/ ) and that complex mammalian life has been grown in a bag/artificial womb ( https://www.iflscience.com/health-a...ully-grow-premature-lamb-for-the-second-time/ ).
I feel the same way for "laboratory babies", really.

AkumaNoYami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i doestn know how to say in english but in german we say : lieben und leben lassen
i like lesbian girls (who men doesnt like it xD) and when she find the love why she or he doesnt mariage?
in germany we have finish the same rights for gay and lesbian !!! i find this is a revolution !!!

before 200-500 years it was Okey when you are gay .. but then in the 1900 it was bad.. so stupid people

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why do people choose to buy puppies from a breeder instead of a stray? Because they want it to be a certain way, a certain breed. The only reason people adopt strays is because it's morally right, there is no other reason. And if you think that this comparison is too superficial, well, that's just how many people see kids as: propriety. Again, many people decide to abort their baby for frivolous reasons, like the "wrong" gender.

I just don't feel comfortable with letting people have too much liberty of choice when it comes to human lives, that's all. Remember that, on average, half of the nation you live in is a lot more stupid than you. People that have sold their kids for drugs, or doing drugs themselves during pregnancy, or overall being an awful parent. Most of these things are thankfully illegal.

I feel the same way for "laboratory babies", really.
At this point in the debate you tend to get asked if you would fuck an ugly woman.

If no then you clearly support some measure of selection (while there are various beauty standards around the world most are a visible measure of health, fertility and such), just with a huge random component.

If yes it will typically still be considered a downside by the person asking it and need to be "offset" by something else, something probably also considered a desirable heritable trait or trait beneficial in raising kids.

Going further a favourite study was that concerning distance someone travels to find someone to marry. The advent of the bicycle then serving to rather increase this distance which still speaks to the nature of choice. https://www.theguardian.com/environ...pools-secret-history-of-19th-century-cyclists

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I just don't feel comfortable with letting people have too much liberty of choice when it comes to human lives, that's all. Remember that, on average, half of the nation you live in is a lot more stupid than you. People that have sold their kids for drugs, or doing drugs themselves during pregnancy, or overall being an awful parent. Most of these things are thankfully illegal..
Nice straw man, but still not the same thing as what I said. What you have been suggesting is not the same as surrogacy, what you are talking about is selective breeding. Equally your second notion of sex-based abortions also has nothing to do with surrogacy. You are moving the goal post and using straw man arguments.
And what does any of that have to do with surrogacy? How does other people being stupid have anything to do with someone having another consenting adult carry their child for them? Stop moving the goal post and actually make a cohesive argument. Nothing you've said has actually to do with surrogacy.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No no no! They are evil and you know it! They are all genetically manipulated humans with only evil intent. Allowing marriage for them would be truly devastating for all the normal and good people out there.

It shouldn't be called "gay" marriage.
It should just be called marriage.
What about garriage?

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nice straw man, but still not the same thing as what I said. What you have been suggesting is not the same as surrogacy, what you are talking about is selective breeding. Equally your second notion of sex-based abortions also has nothing to do with surrogacy. You are moving the goal post and using straw man arguments.
And what does any of that have to do with surrogacy? How does other people being stupid have anything to do with someone having another consenting adult carry their child for them? Stop moving the goal post and actually make a cohesive argument. Nothing you've said has actually to do with surrogacy.
What are you talking about?

"What's your stance on same-sex marriage and adoption?"
Me: "I approve both but no adoption from a rented uterus"
You: "THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT"

At this point in the debate you tend to get asked if you would fuck an ugly woman.

If no then you clearly support some measure of selection (while there are various beauty standards around the world most are a visible measure of health, fertility and such), just with a huge random component.

If yes it will typically still be considered a downside by the person asking it and need to be "offset" by something else, something probably also considered a desirable heritable trait or trait beneficial in raising kids.

Going further a favourite study was that concerning distance someone travels to find someone to marry. The advent of the bicycle then serving to rather increase this distance which still speaks to the nature of choice. https://www.theguardian.com/environ...pools-secret-history-of-19th-century-cyclists
I wouldn't fuck an ugly woman but I would accept in my life and raise an ugly kid with non-serious genetic issues. They are two different things.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What are you talking about?

"What's your stance on same-sex marriage and adoption?"
Me: "I approve both but no adoption from a rented uterus"
You: "THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT"
Because your actual issues with surrogacy has actually nothing to do with surrogacy. You are clumping different topics into one topic and declaring them the same thing, when they simply aren't

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have anything against adoptions.
I don't have anything against gay marriage as long as they don't try to shoehorn it into some kind of law trying to force religions/temples to accept them against their will (nor ridicule/runs campaigns against them, which sadly seems to be what is happening in certain places).

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why is it that when people here give a slightly controversial opinion the LGBT community of the temp just jumps them, live and let live
I don't agree with most of the things said but why bitch about it, you're not gonna sway opinions with angry posts.
I personally feel like @Song of storms was very rational about his opinions and while I don't agree, and you don't HAVE TO AGREE it's why it's an opinion he wasn't a twat about it was he now?

Why the hell can't we ever have a discussion.

Reactions: Song of storms

AceyBwoi

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm pro on both

But then again they say everyone is made for someone but for some reason I don't feel like that be true.. no one for me :( sad

D

Deleted User

There are shitty people everywhere. If a gay couple happens to be the better option for the child, go for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s