• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What's your stance on same-sex marriage and adoption?

What's your stance on same-sex marriage and adoption?

• Pro marriage, Pro adoption

Votes: 102 76.1%
  • Pro marriage, Against adoption

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Against marriage, Pro adoption

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Against marriage, Against adoption

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I'm against LGBT people

Votes: 14 10.4%

• Total voters

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Pro both, I don't think it has any effect on the child, I've been raised by my mother and sisters and I think I'm a pretty decent human being. For marriage, I really don't care. But even if it's stupid, I still respect the decision of religious groups to not accept religious same sex marriage. But for civil marriage, there are no reasons to refuse it IMHO.

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
A bad infancy is not tied to the gender of the parents. I understand that being the child of a single parent is not something you'd want, but a child adopted by a gay couple still has two parents.
However, I do feel like I unintentionally set up a strawman here by bringing in single-parent-children in the first place, so let me apologize and try to rectify this:

If a child has two loving parents, why would their gender matter? What can a female/male couple offer a child that a male/male or female/female couple can't

Their gender matters because reproduction in humans comes dictated by biology and nature, not by social choices. Two men cannot be your biological parents, same for two women. You come to this world based on that principle.

Men and women have two different roles and teach different things, both biologically and mentally. A woman would breastfeed, a man cannot. A man would focus on different things than a woman due to his physical traits and mental focus. The way you are dressed, what types of games you like. Obvious "boy and girl" distinctions.

A person adopted by a gay couple has 2 figures. One of them could be their biological father/mother, while the other one would not. You could call it an incomplete infancy, not a bad infancy. Not every issue in life is solved by "love"

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I'm going to point out here that you never mentioned whether two girls kissing turns your stomach, just that you didn't like lesbians for some reason. I'm not sure I've ever met a guy who was bugged by that.

"Not what nature intends" -- Okay buddy, you keep telling yourself that.

Dude, two fat ugly butch looking dykes kissing each other is just as bad as two dudes - it in no way turns me on or probably most people - it's fucking disgusting. The OP asked for peoples views - if he/she/it didn't want to read those views, they shouldn't have started the thread in the first place.

Reactions: Carnelian

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Dude, two fat ugly butch looking dykes kissing each other is just as bad as two dudes - it in no way turns me on or probably most people - it's fucking disgusting. The OP asked for peoples views - if he/she/it didn't want to read those views, they shouldn't have started the thread in the first place.

So you're saying two fat ugly looking straighties kissing eachother is arousing?
Pretty sure that doesn't turn on anyone either.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So now you are also body shaming yep Christianity has turned you into a lovely human being.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Their gender matters because reproduction in humans comes dictated by biology and nature, not by social choices. Two men cannot be your biological parents, same for two women. You come to this world based on that principle.

And? Family is who takes care of you. By that definition, adoption shouldn't exist since you're not being raised by your biological parents.

Men and women have two different roles and teach different things, both biologically and mentally. A woman would breastfeed, a man cannot. A man would focus on different things than a woman due to his physical traits and mental focus. The way you are dressed, what types of games you like. Obvious "boy and girl" distinctions.

Ha, what? That's the first time in while I've seen that utter drivel.

For reference, I was never breastfed. I have a father and a mother. I'm perfectly healthy, thank you very much. I have met far more "mentally unfocused" men than women in my lifespan, so I'm convinced at this point you simply have those antiquated religious beliefs that are at odds with statistics.

A person adopted by a gay couple has 2 figures. One of them could be their biological father/mother, while the other one would not. You could call it an incomplete infancy, not a bad infancy. Not every issue in life is solved by "love"

No, family has nothing to do with biology. Family is what you make of it. I bet you're the type of person who insists that "family" is defined in biological relations only. Also, what "issue"? You'll have to be more specific.

So what about attractive, hot lesbians? You're still evading the question. More to the point, called this response.

Last edited by chaoskagami,

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
No seriously go for it

It would serve no purpose, you might not care what I think but some others might. I get that for trans people that life is difficult enough for you without some random internet person giving you their views.

As for gays - no I don't believe they should be allowed to be married the same as a woman & man, and I definitely think it's wrong for a child to be brought up in a household gays acting as parents.
Kids should ideally be brought up in a household with a Man and women and other kids + pets. That way they can fully develop as nature intended.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you're implying that every lesbian is a butch looking dyke and every gay man is a fruity little cupcake. That's not a good foundation for your argument, tbh.

Also: It's not supposed to turn you on. Two consent adults kissing, be it male-male, male-female or female-female is an intimate moment between those two people. It's not supposed to be arrousing to you.

Last edited by Localhorst86,

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
So you're saying two fat ugly looking straighties kissing eachother is arousing?
Pretty sure that doesn't turn on anyone either.

Where did I say that? I never and you're trying to manipulate my replies to fit your own agenda. I think I've been pretty clear that I find gays disgusting - no matter if they are good looking or not. I've also said I don't believe kids should be brought up by gays - that's my personal opinion. You have yours - now have a good day!

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Personally I find gays disgusting. Two dudes kissing each other turns my stomach. I would hate to think that any of my nephews or nieces for whatever reason if they needed to be adopted would end up in a household with two gays. As for lesbo's - they are just as bad as dudes.

I'm not a fan of either - it's not what nature intends and as a christian it's against my values.

I am not an expert at natural things, so I might be completely wrong here. But I think nature isn't a sentient being, so it cannot intend anything.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Where did I say that? I never and you're trying to manipulate my replies to fit your own agenda. I think I've been pretty clear that I find gays disgusting - no matter if they are good looking or not. I've also said I don't believe kids should be brought up by gays - that's my personal opinion. You have yours - now have a good day!
OP asked to discuss, not simply state your opinion.

You have every right to your opinion, but in order to discuss you need to bring up arguments other than "I don't like it".

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And there was me with the believe that Christianity was the religion that accepts all.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It shouldn't be called "gay" marriage.
It should just be called marriage.
This post right here.
It really shouldn't be a controversial subject.

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
And? Family is who takes care of you. By that definition, adoption shouldn't exist since you're not being raised by your biological parents.

There's biological family and political one. You are mixing apples with oranges here. Being raised by someone is not the same as being conceived.

Ha, what? That's the first time in while I've seen that utter drivel.

For reference, I was never breastfed. I have a father and a mother. I'm perfectly healthy, thank you very much. I have met far more "mentally unfocused" men than women in my lifespan, so I'm convinced at this point you simply have those antiquated religious beliefs that are at odds with statistics.

You are asuming I am religious because of my opinions. I feel offended (lol). I do not practice any religion. However I see is common practice to attack religion as the creator of that line of thought. Coming from people who ask for tolerance you are not tolerating religion that much...

You speak about your own case, as if it were proof of something. There's millions of different cases out there, and there will be good and bad, you cannot focus only on a small number of it.

No, family has nothing to do with biology. Family is what you make of it. I bet you're the type of person who insists that "family" is defined in biological relations only. Also, what "issue"? You'll have to be more specific.

Again, asking not to be judged but you are the first ones to judge. Very well done there.

Family is directly related with biology, DNA transfers and the social part of it all. When you are raised by a man and a woman, as nature intended, you are learning about their relationship, what interactions they make with each other, and how you should treat someone from the opposite gender and how they should treat you. If you don't see that at an early age you might not understand that relationship. That is one example of it.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
As long as the people marrying are consenting adults and not too closely related I couldn't care less who someone else marries.

As for adoption? Are there really arguments against it? So long as the people adopting are good towards the child that is all that should matter.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's biological family and political one. You are mixing apples with oranges here. Being raised by someone is not the same as being conceived.

You are asuming I am religious because of my opinions. I feel offended (lol). I do not practice any religion. However I see is common practice to attack religion as the creator of that line of thought. Coming from people who ask for tolerance you are not tolerating religion that much...

You speak about your own case, as if it were proof of something. There's millions of different cases out there, and there will be good and bad, you cannot focus only on a small number of it.

Again, asking not to be judged but you are the first ones to judge. Very well done there.

Family is directly related with biology, DNA transfers and the social part of it all. When you are raised by a man and a woman, as nature intended, you are learning about their relationship, what interactions they make with each other, and how you should treat someone from the opposite gender and how they should treat you. If you don't see that at an early age you might not understand that relationship. That is one example of it.
So then if a trans woman and a man or a trans man and woman adopt would you say that was ok as they are fulfilling both roles you deem necessary for a child to have. Also isn't by your own argument having a child adopted by a same sex couple also teaching the kid acceptance of same sex relationships and teaching them how to treat people in general?

Last edited by AmandaRose,

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic

I don't care what someone's gender is. I treat everyone the same.

I strongly disagree. I don't think your gender decides what you like. In fact, I know many people who like things they "shouldn't" if we go by your definition.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States

The point is that you evaded the question by only specifying a subset in your reply, and mistakenly attributed that to be "all" by extension. That's not good logic. The good news is that you now answered the question properly. You find all gays disgusting - that wasn't so hard to answer, huh? I have to wonder why you didn't answer with that in the first place, though.

I'll have a gay old day, thanks. And I'm straight, for reference. Mostly, anyways.

And there was me with the belive that Christianity was the religion that accepts all.

Religious texts have always been manipulated to fit the agenda of the ones reading it. It's the same thing as the law; someone is always going to interpret it in a way to create a loophole. In my opinion, religion has outstayed its welcome in the current age.

I am not an expert at natural things, so I might be completely wrong here. But I think nature isn't a sentient being, so it cannot intend anything.

I'll get a bit complex here. If by nature, one means the universe as whole, it depends on how quantum physics actually functions, since it's generally accepted that determinism is impossible without everything else making no sense. Either way, nature is not sentient and therefore lacks a will.

You were the one who was using the word "biological" to describe adoptions, not me. I argued with what I read.

Considering how many recent scandals there have been, and how religion as of late seems to have been reduced to a mere political tool rather than a way to teach morals...yes, I am very biased against it as a whole. I think it's run it's course and no longer serves any purpose for the human race. Back in the 1600s, they started the education of of people and were the ones who propogated literature - they had a role as it were. Nowadays, not so much.

It's proof that having a role-reversed mother and father and a different upbringing from what you describe as "normal" changes absolutely nothing. I'm not going to dredge up statistics here, since you would likely claim them to be biased if they equally weighted minorities and majorities. You can focus on a small number, because if the majority of the minority functions normally, it disproves your "this is bad" assertion.

Again, define "as nature intends". This is not common sense. You can't make that argument without defining nature's intentions. Aside from that, the fact that you think you should treat people different based on any factor rather than as individuals so tells me that your upbringing was far more dysfunctional than mine.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Assuming they deal right with the child (you know there are even enough male/female mixed parents that are bad to their kids) I don't see why not.
People saying it's not good if a child is raised by male + male? Why? Just because both parents have the same gender doesn't mean that child is born into a world without any women. There will me female friends, aunts, TV shows and magazines giving them fairly enough female influence. The same would apply vice versa if the child is raised by two female parents.

Last edited by lordelan,

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
So then if a trans woman and a man or a trans man and woman adopt would you say that was ok as they are fulfilling both roles you deem necessary for a child to have. Also isn't by your own argument having a child adopted by a same sex couple also teaching the kid acceptance of same sex relationships and teaching them how to treat people in general?

A trans man or trans woman biologically do not correspond to the gender they see themselves as. No matter what procedures a trans person goes through, a trans woman will not be able to produce ovules and a trans man will not be able to produce sperm.

A child being raised by two people of the same sex might think that is the norm at some point on their life. It is not like that and they might get confused. That does not mean that they will be a bad person or not. It is not directly related.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER