WARNING for Splatoon players: A player has been spotted who can soft-lock your save

2717093-spratoonbox.jpg

This player can soft-lock your save, destroying all your hard work and making you restart the entire game with a blank slate; if you don't take the proper precautions. Don't let this happen to you.

-Tips to be safe around this player:-

1. Backup your save! Copy it to a USB. Do this now, before you get a chance to see them. If you see them and you lose connection in a match with them, it's already too late.

2. Spot them first. They're an octoling carrying the unreleased Hydra Splatling. Any other octoling (and perhaps Hydra user) could do the same, so don't ignore them if they don't match that description perfectly.

3. If you spot them, do NOT leave the room! Keep playing until they're no longer in the match. This stops your plaza from trying to load them, which is what destroys your save. Alternatively, you could back out of that room and immediately join another Turf War, but do not return to Booyah Base.

4. If you are too late, all hope is not lost. But. You'll be waiting until the next Splatfest. I personally do not know this for sure, but presumably loading up the game during Splatfest will wipe the player out of Booyah Base for you, thus freeing your save from the soft-lock.

5. If you see this player, please take down their name and report it. The closest info we have so far is that "the name started with a k and had numbers in it".

6. If you want to help spread the word, go write a post on Miiverse about it. Write it in drawing form, so it can spread around as graffiti as well as people seeing you.

Copied from https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/3mxf3f/warning_for_splatoon_players_a_player_has_been/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/splatoon_ebooks/status/648993498167836672

Squidboards thread: http://squidboards.com/threads/just-met-a-hacker-online-who-used-octoling-and-hydra-splatling.8588/

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I'll have to agree with blacksniper. This doesn't really sound like something done intentionally. However, if it is intentional, then I hope this user gets banned.
Even if it's unintentional, fuck that user for cheating online. He deserves to be banned whether malice was his intent or not.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oh well, it's been a long time since I've played Splatoon, so, who cares. 'Cause I kinda suck at f/tps...
And I say, if he just hacked the game to play as an octoling it was just that, I'd say give the guy some slack,
he probably doesn't even know he's doing this damage and what. But he also hacked a still unreleased weapon, so
if you get banned, you deserve it.

I'm ok for harmless hacking like model-swapping or what (if it doesn't cause problems to anyone) but hacking stuff that
isn't still avaiable or cheating online against other people? Shame on you, whoever you are.

Reactions: Deleted User

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Player has know about this for a long time, so I have aswell. :-P

Edit:
Why doesn't Splatoon have a proper error handler for this crap?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here is what I know, player has known about this for a few months now. She also knew that this could break peoples' save games, when she had first tested this it was in a private room. Since then she has not used this version online (as far as I know). There are also two different ways to do this, one requires editing your savegame to make your "gender" 2, and the other just replaces the models on your client. The save version is what causes the problems, and it *should* be fixed in the coming weeks if the data in Splatoon and Nintendo's hints mean what we think: an Octoling campaign.

Missing anything Nikki?

Last edited by gudenau,

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This reminds me of the Phantasy Star Online glitch where players could force your game to freeze when you joined a lobby/session which resulted in your game losing data (thousands of hours easily gone).

Only the lowest of low would use that glitch. It's one thing to use a hacked character to destroy everyone in PVP, but to erase your entire game data? that's just wrong.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The thing is, the username you're all talking about? Its probably a Mii name, remember that Splatoon shows the name of the Mii that's being used. Not the username that's being used by the player.
Indeed. It can be changed easily.
Well, whatever it is, if someone contacts Nintendo about one of the nicknames, I'm sure they can figure out who it is and ban them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHNH5pnioQk