Valve officially announces Steam Deck, its handheld gaming PC releasing this December

steam deck.JPG

The Nintendo Switch (OLED model) wasn't the "Pro" upgrade many expected it to be with 4K support and new internals but before its announcement, other handhelds aimed to take the role of the "Switch Pro". The AYA NEO and GPD Win 3 are among those devices shooting for that nickname since they are able to run recent AAA PC games on the go, given that they are handheld gaming PCs. Their efforts and popularity, although niche, enticed companies like Lenovo and Tencent to make similar concepts or patents; indicating that these indie companies might have more serious competition in the future.

It seems like this will indeed be the case and these handheld gaming PC manufacturers will need to brace themselves as Valve is itself entering this market with a Valve-branded handheld gaming PC. This news was actually reported back in May and today we have the official confirmation. In a Steam post today, Valve revealed the Steam Deck, an AMD-based handheld gaming PC that is expected to begin shipping in December 2021 in select regions.

The software giant partnered with AMD to create a custom APU for the handheld that is said to be "optimized for handheld gaming". "It is a Zen 2 + RDNA 2 powerhouse, delivering more than enough performance to run the latest AAA games in a very efficient power envelope," reads the announcement.

It will run on SteamOS 3.0 (Arch-based) and there will be several models of the Steam Deck, which differ on the storage capacity, with the base model starting at $399. However, every model will include a microSD slot for additional storage capacity. For more details about the models available and their price, refer to the image below:

steam deck models.JPG

You can find additional specs details in the images below (click/tap to enlarge):

specs 1.JPG specs 2.JPG

And just like the AYA NEO and GPD Win 3, the Steam Deck will also have a dock which will be sold separately. This accessory will provide ports for external displays, wired networking, USB peripherals, and power. More details about the dock's pricing will be announced at a later date but you can find some specs details in the thumbnail below:

dock.png

specs dock.JPG

Valve says that the Steam Deck will start shipping this December to the United States, Canada, the European Union and the United Kingdom, with more regions coming in 2022. However, to be able to purchase one, you will need to book a paid reservation which will let you pre-order when the time comes. This reservation fee will also count towards the Steam Deck purchase price.

"The main reason for reservations is to ensure an orderly and fair ordering process for customers when Steam Deck inventory becomes available," writes Valve in the announcement FAQ. "The additional fee gives us a clearer signal of intent to purchase, which gives us better data to balance supply chain, inventory, and regional distribution leading up to launch."

Reservations for the Steam Deck will open Friday July 16th, 10am PDT. For more details about the new handheld gaming PC, head to the source link and official Steam Deck website linked below.

Are you interested in getting one?

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: Steam Deck Official Website

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think we're in store for a lot of these kinds of devices in the near future.
You're probably right, but I doubt many companies are going to be willing to take a loss on the hardware like Valve is doing.

I don't really mind that it can play PC games, but I feel there might be other issues that haven't been addressed thoroughly.
Such as? If the hardware is quality that's all that really matters, users can address any software problems on their own.

krasaty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I imagine that you'll be able to use Game Pass on this device, which really makes me think Nintendo should work something out with Microsoft already, put streaming Game Pass on the Switch and/or allow us to remote play our own Xbox with our own Switch.
You should be able to if you install windows 10 since it's just a PC. Otherwise, microsoft doesn't support gamepass on linux,

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wanted one more USB port on the Steam Deck, A or C, I don't care just one more port would have been nice. Now I need to find a decent hub with card reader to sticky pad to my deck.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I really wanted one more USB port on the Steam Deck, A or C, I don't care just one more port would have been nice. Now I need to find a decent hub with card reader to sticky pad to my deck.
I'm gonna wait to see how they price the official dock, and which third-party docks will actually fit it. Steam Deck is considerably thicker than Switch, after all.

DbGt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Just preordered mine, 679 euros (801 USD!!) for the 512gb version.

I still have my doubts, don't know if I will buy it in the end. Hopefully we get much more information before having to pay for the device,

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna wait to see how they price the official dock, and which third-party docks will actually fit it. Steam Deck is considerably thicker than Switch, after all.

The IGN interview said that you can use any standard usbc hub, and I bet that there will be 3rd party peripherals.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just preordered mine, 679 euros (801 USD!!) for the 512gb version.

I still have my doubts, don't know if I will buy it in the end. Hopefully we get much more information before having to pay for the device,

Honestly I think that's too much for a glass screen (when there will be glass screen covers) and storage. I think the 64gb or 256gb make more sense, considering you can use an SD card.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i might shell out after reviews
Considering the first units will be released this December and the rest are back ordered (some until Q2 2022), you're not really going to have a chance to buy one until Q3/4 2022

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The IGN interview said that you can use any standard usbc hub, and I bet that there will be 3rd party peripherals.
Yeah but with docking stands in specific, the gap between the front and back is only so wide. They're usually made for phones or Switch. Those that are made for tablets would probably have a better chance of fitting Steam Deck.

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but with docking stands in specific, the gap between the front and back is only so wide. They're usually made for phones or Switch. Those that are made for tablets would probably have a better chance of fitting Steam Deck.

True, but what I meant was that you can use even a USB-c dock "adapter" that's just a dongle.

Reactions: Xzi

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I low-key want to know how to do this
I mean...you just setup a Steam Library on an SD card's drive letter, install games to different cards, and then you can just swap them and refresh Steam. I keep a Steam SSD that functions basically the same without having to have some folio of slow, flimsy SD cards that I'd have to swap. Can easily keep games on my gaming PC, gaming laptop, and GPD Win 3 without having to re-download or take up space on each device.

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean...you just setup a Steam Library on an SD card's drive letter, install games to different cards, and then you can just swap them and refresh Steam. I keep a Steam SSD that functions basically the same without having to have some folio of slow, flimsy SD cards that I'd have to swap. Can easily keep games on my gaming PC, gaming laptop, and GPD Win 3 without having to re-download or take up space on each device.
This is some big brain stuff, ngl

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
This is some big brain stuff, ngl
Nah that's nothing, the real big brain move is doing it over network so you don't even need an external drive. One thing I toyed with for a while was setting up my home server as a universal Steam library for all my PCs. You can setup SMB, map it as a network drive to any PC, and then install games to it.

But I wasn't particularly happy with the amount of load it was putting on my whole network when playing a game, it'd need to have its own separate network that doesn't tie in to your own to be totally doable and I can't be bothered to set that up :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-