Valve officially announces Source 2, will be free for everyone

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    valve-arbeitet-an-source-engine-2_qy9v.jpg

Valve's broken its silence to announce a bevy of new features, projects, and hardware, some we've already known about, and others... not so much. I hope you're wearing your brown pants.

:arrow:SteamDB

And that's not all. They also unveiled Steam Link, a device that allows Steam users to stream content from their PC (or Steam Machine, if you're into that sort of thing) on the same network, and will be released this Fall. Valve is also releasing the Steam Controller in the Fall as well. Each item will be priced at $49.99. They're also presenting their VR headsets, with developer versions supposed to be out by the Spring. Finally, they've announced Lighthouse, a "room tracking system" that can be integrated with televisions, phones, headsets, etc. Valve plans to make this technology free for all developers interested.

Sadly, Half Life 3 was still not confirmed. 8 more years!

eggsample, Gruntzer and XDel like this.
  2. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States

Half life 3 amost confirmed #illuminaty

Lucifer666 likes this.
  3. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Who cares?
    I want half life 3!!!

4. neim81094

neim81094 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    United States

What is it streaming too? And what is it streaming? I don't understand, would you be able to elaborate a little more on that please :)

5. Anfroid

Anfroid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2011
    United States
    I'm assuming it streams your games from your gaming computer to another tv in the house through your network.

neim81094 likes this.
  6. neim81094

Jun 15, 2013
    United States
    I assumed that too, but I wanted to be 100% sure.

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Steam Link will be a standalone box that (I assume) will run a basic Linux distro that allows you to stream games with Steam's In-Home streaming service. Think of it like those media boxes that can stream movies, but for games from your own gaming PC. It's a neat little feature, made so you can simply stream games from one room to another without having to move your gaming desktop every time you want to game on a big screen TV or whatever.

EDIT: You can see some pics of what it will most likely look like here: http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/03/50-steam-link-streams-pc-games-anywhere-within-your-house/

neim81094 likes this.
  8. neim81094

Jun 15, 2013
    United States
    I'd imagine you'd need a pretty powerful processor to handle something like that. Sounds awesome though! Thanks
    Edit, I meant GPU

9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    These days, just about any mid spec CPU would be absolutely fine with in-home streaming, and with Steam Link the latency will (supposedly) be much easier performance-wise and latency-wise.

Granted, it was already pretty easy now, but this is even better.

10. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    You don't need anything too powerful, it just has to be a fairly recent GPU. Nvidia, for example, already has their own streaming software/hardware. More important is that you have a dual-band router with at least 800MBPS total. With my SHIELD, streaming to my living room TV works very well.

11. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Source2? Cool.
    Just please Valve. DO NOT MAKE HL3! HL2 was awful! I could not get past the first 7 chapters without feeling suicidal. I even tried playing with friends through Synergy. We all agreed it made us feel like life was awful.
    It has this strange effect- so dull and dragging on and on without a clear purpose- please valve
    do not make this the next HL game!
    Source2 is fine- no developing on it within yourselves! [L4D3 could be* alright though]

12. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Whoops. Thanks for the heads up.

T-hug likes this.
  13. minexew

minexew ayy lmao

Mar 16, 2013
    They didn't say anything about releasing the source code for Source2 though, did they?

Either way, this is huge.

14. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    So...they release...the source t(w)o what exactly? :creep:

Damn...that sounded way more funny when saying aloud. :unsure:

More seriously: I've heard about unreal engine 4 going free just a few days ago. Great news in itself, as it's an awesome engine.

Not too familiar with unity, though. I assume they're talking about the game engine and not the ubuntu user interface, but...anyone has a news link on that?

15. ILOVEPIE

ILOVEPIE Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    (yawn) heard about this ages ago... not the free part but...

16. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    Well, looks like we really need to wait half our lives until they release Half-Life 3. development hell can't be more hellish than this.

Now Valve is preparing for a mass wallet rape:
    PLAY YOUR LOVED SOURCE GAMES AGAIN WITH ENHANCED GRAPHICS THANKS TO SOURCE 2, BUY THE ORANGE BOX 2 BUNDLE ONLY $$$$99.99, INCLUDE HL, HL2, HL:EPISODES, PORTAL, PORTAL 2, L4D AND L4D2.
    [​IMG]

17. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    the Source 2 stuff is pretty awesome ...makes me wanna take a look on it myself

18. GreenJr

GreenJr Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2015
    The modding capabilities on the Source 2 engine is what interests me the most. It will be fun to see what the final version of Hammer looks like on it, I never tried the Dota 2 Workshop one.

19. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    With all these game/graphical engines going semi-free (not really free cause their catches) I hope they don't forget about consoles. None of these companies have made it clear if it includes the different console versions...Well except the unreal engine, i mean it was designed as universal from the start. Anything incompatible in the unreal 4 with your system can simply be turned off/not used.

20. FusionGamer

FusionGamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2014
    United States
    Hopefully it's cross platform, along with the tools. Would love to use Hammer (for Garry's Mod) natively on OS X.