• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US Supreme Court rules against EPA in West Virginia vs EPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You should read the Constitution. It states that that state legislatures have complete domain over elections.

Imagine thinking that issues going back to the states to be voted on by the representatives of the people as being fascism. You people look more foolish every time you use the f word, so by all means, continue to use it.
Imagine being so braindead that you believe the intent of the constitution was to allow only governors to have a meaningful vote in electing federal representatives. Worse, you also believe they should be allowed unlimited corruption and the ability to maintain power indefinitely by redrawing their own districts.

Tribalism is a helluva drug.

Reactions: Lacius

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine being so braindead that you believe the intent of the constitution was to allow only governors to have a meaningful vote in electing federal representatives. Worse, you also believe they should be allowed unlimited corruption and the ability to maintain power indefinitely by redrawing their own districts.

Tribalism is a helluva drug.
I never said anything about governors. Learn.to.read. I specifically talked about state legislatures. Do you honestly think there isn't unlimited corruption in the federal government? You people really despise decentralized power. That's why it's so funny when you call other people fascists or authoritarian while at the same time, advocating for the federal government to seize all power. Once again, read the Constitution.

Whatever you are on is a helluva drug.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I never said anything about governors. Learn.to.read. I specifically talked about state legislatures.
Which are, in many states, a uniparty affair, with the governor being of the same party. Your suggestion that we empower any small group of people to override the votes of an entire state is not just moronic, it's also malicious, and I think you fucking know that.

Do you honestly think there isn't unlimited corruption in the federal government?
There is quite a bit, which is why you don't want to remove any more checks on federal representatives' power and tenure. Duh.

You people really despise decentralized power.
"Decentralized power" is the exact opposite of what you're arguing for, this shouldn't need explaining.

That's why it's so funny when you call other people fascists or authoritarian while at the same time, advocating for the federal government to seize all power. Once again, read the Constitution.
What the fuck are you even talking about? The case before SCROTUS concerns the states' courts ability to veto or override district maps that are (obviously) meant for partisan gerrymandering. It has nothing to do with the federal government.

Whatever you are on is a helluva drug.
It's some pretty good weed, yet I still have much greater clarity of mind than you on this topic. You're afraid republicans are losing relevance in the modern world, so you think it's best to allow them to cheat to win and maintain power forever. Sound about right? Again you're on the wrong side of history, real Americans won't tolerate a small group of rich old fucks declaring themselves king of each state.

Deleted member 114266

OP
Trophies
XP
Which are, in many states, a uniparty affair, with the governor being of the same party. Your suggestion that we empower any small group of people to override the votes of an entire state is not just moronic, it's also malicious, and I think you fucking know that.
I'm not aware of any states that use any electoral college style system in their state government elections. So the governor is a simple majority vote, and state house/senate are majorities in their districts. So a uniparty would just reflect the will of the people in that state.

There is quite a bit, which is why you don't want to remove any more checks on federal representatives' power and tenure. Duh.
What checks on the power and tenure for federal representatives are there? Federal house/senate is in extreme need of term limits, people being in power for 50 years is why nothing ever gets fixed. Just promise solutions every election while doing nothing because if it's solved you lose your platform.

"Decentralized power" is the exact opposite of what you're arguing for, this shouldn't need explaining.
Everything wrong with the Texas Republican Party Platform
You may want to do some reading on governmental systems from actual books instead of blogs by people that are "against all the fascists" and propose to institute fascism to stop all those evil fascists. Putting power into the hands of the states breaks up who controls what area. But earlier you were arguing for a fascist small one world government. So I'm not sure that you are clearly understanding the topic.

The US isn't a democracy, it's a representative based democratic republic. As you're researching governments, look up how the old cities states were governed. It's not a one to one comparison, but the idea was to have the states be their own things with the Federal government being a mediator between the states. That was eroded over time with attempts to centralize the government and for the Feds to seize power they don't have.

What the fuck are you even talking about? The case before SCROTUS concerns the states' courts ability to veto or override district maps that are (obviously) meant for partisan gerrymandering. It has nothing to do with the federal government.
Could you go into this? You only dropped this into the thread and without links or actually explaining the point you are trying to make.

Next up they're gonna rule that state legislatures can override the will of the people in elections. Hot on the heels of Thomas stating he believes COVID-19 vaccines are made from aborted fetuses. I knew it was only a matter of time until dipshits brought fascism to this country, I just didn't think it would be dropped on our heads all at once.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's some pretty good weed, yet I still have much greater clarity of mind than you on this topic. You're afraid republicans are losing relevance in the modern world, so you think it's best to allow them to cheat to win and maintain power forever. Sound about right? Again you're on the wrong side of history, real Americans won't tolerate a small group of rich old fucks declaring themselves king of each state.
Giving power back to the states is a check on the federal government, you dolt.

You don't understand what decentralized power is obviously.

State legislatures draw maps. If you don't like it, elect different state representatives.

If you cast doubt on elections, you'll be branded an insurrectionist, white supremacist facscist. Tread carefully my friend.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not aware of any states that use any electoral college style system in their state government elections. So the governor is a simple majority vote, and state house/senate are majorities in their districts. So a uniparty would just reflect the will of the people in that state.
It's a matter of giving them the means to stay in power indefinitely, denying people the choice to oust them from here on out.

What checks on the power and tenure for federal representatives are there?
For one, they're elected by the people and not their state legislatures.

Federal house/senate is in extreme need of term limits, people being in power for 50 years is why nothing ever gets fixed.
Agreed.

Putting power into the hands of the states breaks up who controls what area.
This isn't "putting" power anywhere, it's a matter of stealing power from people and degrading our democracy as a whole.

But earlier you were arguing for a fascist small one world government.
I've never argued in favor of that. I've argued against it as one world government would mean absolute corporate control, aka fascist oligarchy.

As you're researching governments, look up how the old cities states were governed. It's not a one to one comparison, but the idea was to have the states be their own things with the Federal government being a mediator between the states. That was eroded over time with attempts to centralize the government and for the Feds to seize power they don't have.
Why bother when I can refer back the American Revolution to know how we should feel about people trying to crown themselves monarchs? This ain't ye olden times, and even if it were the votes of the people (white landowners) still mattered, not only the votes of their representatives.

Next up they're gonna rule that state legislatures can override the will of the people in elections. Hot on the heels of Thomas stating he believes COVID-19 vaccines are made from aborted fetuses. I knew it was only a matter of time until dipshits brought fascism to this country, I just didn't think it would be dropped on our heads all at once.
The ruling carries with it the possible implication that state legislatures would be able to submit their own electors in place of those chosen by the people. This is something Trump tried and failed to do in the 2020 election.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a matter of giving them the means to stay in power indefinitely, denying people the choice to oust them from here on out.

For one, they're elected by the people and not their state legislatures.

Agreed.

This isn't "putting" power anywhere, it's a matter of stealing power from people and degrading our democracy as a whole.

I've never argued in favor of that. I've argued against it as one world government would mean absolute corporate control, aka fascist oligarchy.

Why bother when I can refer back the American Revolution to know how we should feel about people trying to crown themselves monarchs? This ain't ye olden times, and even if it were the votes of the people (white landowners) still mattered, not only the votes of their representatives.

The ruling carries with it the possible implication that state legislatures would be able to submit their own electors in place of those chosen by the people. This is something Trump tried and failed to do in the 2020 election.
Why wouldn't the people be able to vote their representatives out of office? Unless you think elections in the US are fraudulent, which I've heard is alt right speak and flat out racism.

How is giving power to representatives closest to the people degrading our democracy?

Your arguments are based on emotions and don't even make sense anymore. You don't understand the definition of words and you spout corporate media talking points. It's a complete waste of time to even engage with you anymore. How you've gotten this far in life will always be a mystery. I hope you wear a helmet everywhere you go, just to be safe.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
State legislatures draw maps. If you don't like it, elect different state representatives.
How fucking dense are you? If state legislatures draw their own maps, the party already in power will never lose another election again. They have data sets for voters down to the individual, let alone the communities they choose to include or omit in their maps.

State courts must have the power to reject obvious partisan power grabs via gerrymandering.

If you cast doubt on elections
Your stance is that we should have openly corrupt elections in which the will of the people is overridden by the will of the few. I'm not casting doubt, I'm outright declaring that American elections would become strictly for show if you got your way. Free and fair elections are the compromise we made with the elites for putting away the guillotines.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How fucking dense are you? If state legislatures draw their own maps, the party already in power will never lose another election again. They have data sets for voters down to the individual, let alone the communities they choose to include or omit in their maps.

State courts must have the power to reject obvious partisan power grabs via gerrymandering.

Your stance is that we should have openly corrupt elections in which the will of the people is overridden by the will of the few. I'm not casting doubt, I'm outright declaring that American elections would become strictly for show if you got your way. Free and fair elections are the compromise we made with the elites for putting away the guillotines.
So your answer is to just trash the Constitution because it is inconvenient for you. That's the left's only answer to every "problem".

We do not have corrupt elections in this country. To say we do is tearing at the fabric of our democracy.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

But it's a partisan power grab of their party and ideals, so it's okay.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So your answer is to just trash the Constitution because it is inconvenient for you.
The constitution includes certain amendments to ensure free and fair elections. Only a malicious and purposeful misreading of it would allow SCROTUS to remove those protections.

We do not have corrupt elections in this country. To say we do is tearing at the fabric of our democracy.
I didn't say we currently do. You're suggesting we should allow for corrupt elections, however.

Deleted member 114266

OP
Trophies
XP
My appologies, it a comment from LainaGabranth followed by you talking about one world governments and lower global populations.
And I again ask how people are attempting to crown themselves monarchs? If anything it feels like the representatives in the federal government view themselves as our betters and know what's best for us versus being our voice. And implementing our will.
But it's a partisan power grab of their party and ideals, so it's okay.
It goes both ways, and so far the best redistricting map I've seen for my state were when both parties were complaining it's unfair.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The constitution includes certain amendments to ensure free and fair elections. Only a malicious and purposeful misreading of it would allow SCROTUS to remove those protections.

I didn't say we currently do. You're suggesting we should allow for corrupt elections, however.
Yes, it specifies that state legislatures make election laws. The election boards don't. The governors don't. The secretaries of state don't. The fact that that makes you seething mad that the people's representatives make laws says a lot about your mental health.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If anything it feels like the representatives in the federal government view themselves as our betters and know what's best for us versus being our voice. And implementing our will.
The federal government is not (currently) trying to seize control of our elections, the republican party is trying to seize control of elections via state legislatures.

Yes, it specifies that state legislatures make election laws.
Right. Make election laws. Not fucking decide elections beforehand via gerrymandering and/or after via legislative override of the peoples' will. I've said it before and I'll say it again: "constitutional originalism" is no different from extremism. If you know anything of the founding fathers you'd know they didn't expect or want the country to live in 1776 for the rest of fucking time. Though if you're really that eager to bring guillotines back into style, I'll have to do some digging around in my garage.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The federal government is not (currently) trying to seize control of our elections, the republican party is trying to seize control of elections via state legislatures.

Right. Make election laws. Not fucking decide elections beforehand via gerrymandering and/or after via legislative override of the peoples' will. I've said it before and I'll say it again: "constitutional originalism" is no different from extremism. If you know anything of the founding fathers you'd know they didn't expect or want the country to live in 1776 for the rest of fucking time. Though if you're really that eager to bring guillotines back into style, I'll have to do some digging around in my garage.
HR1 "For the People Act". Look.it.up.

Imagine reading text and applying the meaning that the writers intended as being extremist. Why do you think the Constitution can be amended? If you have a majority like you say you do, just amend it and quit whining about it.

I've come to the conclusion that you do not know how to use the internet and talking to you is a complete waste of my time. Nobody can be this stupid. Your dumb words actually bring me physical pain when read them.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay? A bill that passed the House and will never be introduced in the Senate because it wouldn't pass there thanks to a party line vote? Believe me I wish it would, but wishful thinking isn't gonna change what SCROTUS decides in this upcoming case.
And if the Dems had a majority in the Senate, they would have voted to consolidate more power in DC, enriching the administrative state and taking freedoms away from the people.

And you call me fascist. STFU with that nonsense. :rofl2:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And if the Dems had a majority in the Senate, they would have voted to consolidate more power in DC, enriching the administrative state and taking freedoms away from the people.
Desperately grasping at straws now, eh? Did you even read the thing you told me to look up? It specifically says independent redistricting commissions would carry out drawing the maps. And that doesn't mean "independent" as in the vague political affiliation, it means nonpartisan. So no, they wouldn't have voted the way you wanted them to.

And you call me fascist.
You prove it more and more with every post. The mental gymnastics you attempt to justify authoritarianism with are getting ridiculous.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Desperately grasping at straws now, eh? Did you even read the thing you told me to look up? It specifically says independent redistricting commissions would carry out drawing the maps. And that doesn't mean "independent" as in the vague political affiliation, it means nonpartisan. So no, they wouldn't have voted the way you wanted them to.

You prove it more and more with every post. The mental gymnastics you attempt to justify authoritarianism with are getting ridiculous.
A commission of unelected bureaucrats not answerable to the people. That's the definition of authoritarianism.

The only thing I prove is how fascist you are. Like I just did.

Deleted member 114266

OP
Trophies
XP
The redistricting of maps is only one part of the bill. Other major parts are unconstitutional requirements on how state run elections. And if you've already forgotten, after the 2020 election we were reminded time and time again states have the ultimate say in how they run their elections. Yet right after a change in leadership, those people arguing that are trying to force state to change their voting rules at the federal level.

Last edited by Deleted member 114266,
Reactions: TraderPatTX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying