Supreme Court rules sales in US and abroad extinguish seller's patent rights

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by delete12345, May 31, 2017.

1. delete12345
    OP

delete12345 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 27, 2010
    United States
    Taipei, Taiwan
    The Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday that restrictions placed on a patented product could not be enforced through an infringement suit because an authorized sale exhausts all rights under the Patent Act.

So, one would ask, what does this mean?

According to the article,

This implies the court has set a precedent legal ground, and is devastating to IP trolls as well as DMCA takedown abusers. It literally admonishes any TOS that tries to ban streaming, screen shots, reviews, content, etc.... of video games and it's a blow to companies by denying basic rights of the use of the product they purchased from them.

Update:

My initial assumption is incorrect. User @FAST6191 has pointed out the following, via post:

:arrow:Source

Last edited by delete12345, Jun 1, 2017

2. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 K35

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    someone give this man the reporter tag!

3. Garblant

Garblant GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 1, 2016
    United States
    Alola
    Good job! Let's just hope someone doesn't just copy this and add a picture to it...

4. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Spiky!

Mar 27, 2012
    France
    What kind of picture would you even put for this ? A tribunal ? :P

5. Plushie

Plushie Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2017
    Belgium
    So, does this affect lets players in a positive way?

6. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    [​IMG]

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    So this means what?

8. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game

9. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    So in other words, companies can't get butthurt when people stream content of their games?

10. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    W00t

11. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I thought "patent" only applied to technological innovations. Are you sure they're not talking about copyright? Are they sure they're not talking about copyright? I am confus :(

Skelletonike likes this.
  12. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    So that means no Big N DMCA YouTube takedowns anymore?

13. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    I suspect this wont mean anything until there is a court case about something like LPs, especially as copyright is different to a patent AFAIK.

Even then, I suspect abuses will still occur as we've seen among things which easily fall under fair use such as reviews.

14. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    I see why your confused. He didnt quote the whole thing.

What this means once you purchase an item, it truly belongs to you. They can not stop you from making modifications to a pyshical product and ban you from using it. Now this doesn't you won't suddenly get unbanned from online services for using modified software. However it does mean you could lets say reverse engine the ram and the better cpu and gpu from the ps4 pro to work on the non-pros
    Assuming thier isn't any software stopping you from doing so. Even then with enough legal power and money, you could in theory sue Sony to remove the software block. But no hacker or engineer has that much money.

15. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Spiky!

Mar 27, 2012
    France
    That's what I understood from it. It clearly allows for more modifications and research to be done on any kind of device you purchase, but I'm not sure it applies to software and by extension streamers, let's players etc...

chartube12 and Garblant like this.
  16. Garblant

Apr 1, 2016
    United States
    Alola
    So, if someone gets banned (after today) for having a hacked 3ds after THIS event, they could sue?

17. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I'm more curious about the stream thing. So does this mean that rule enforced about that persona 5 game having something to do with 7 days or whatever, is that now part of this situation?

18. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Spiky!

Mar 27, 2012
    France
    If they can prove that said modification didn't come with pirated content and was strictly homebrew stuff I guess they might be able to try and refer to this ruling.
    Because even if you're allowed to modify your system, you can't put illegal stuff on it obviously.
    Kind of the same idea that you can't modify a motorbike to go past certain speeds because that's illegal, but you can still make a lot of other improvements on it that the manufacturer might not want you to do.

Garblant likes this.
  19. Garblant

Apr 1, 2016
    United States
    Alola
    I like how you think, shirtless Batman...

20. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Spiky!

Mar 27, 2012
    France
    Happy to hear it.
    Still, this ruling gives no guarantee that you would win an hypothetical case to get unbanned from online services, since those are, obviously, services, and not part of the actual product you've modified.
    This ruling is more something of a :"If you sell something you have patents upon, you can't be pissed when someone makes a secondhand business off of those items by eventually modifying them(so long as it's nothing illegal of course)"
    So what this would mean is that selling hacked consoles for examples (with no pirated content on it of course) would be fine and definitely in the scope of this ruling.
    That's what I understand out of it anyway, I am no lawyer. :P

chartube12 and Garblant like this.