Hacking UPDATE 5. >> 3 << .0

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people have an internet connection set up on their WiiU in the first place? Surely if you want to play Mario Kart 8 or whatever you should just manually add the connection then delete it afterwards. It's a pain, but avoids family members accidentally updating the console.

I don't have an internet connection set up at all, and only update when a game that I want to play comes with the update. Then I make a case-by-case decision.

But doesn't Smash Bros have 5.3.0 on it anyway? When you get the game, the firmware will update to 5.3.0 so, having the internet disabled will be, well, meaningless.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Aye, but my point is - when people update using a disc, at least people are making a conscious decision to do so. With an internet connection, the updates are downloaded in the background so you don't know about it. That's why people shouldn't have an internet connection permanently set up on their WiiU.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aye, but my point is - when people update using a disc, at least people are making a conscious decision to do so. With an internet connection, the updates are downloaded in the background so you don't know about it. That's why people shouldn't have an internet connection permanently set up on their WiiU.

So, until the exploit that works up to 5.2.0 is out....

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It is quite a dilemma in this scenario.
I, for example, have the Wii U connected to the internet but not in Stand By, I use it as my main multimedia console, add to it the fact that I can use the internet browser and YouTube app to watch videos, and even watch full movies online and it also has full vWii homebrew.
Add to that the fact that I play online both Wii U games and Wii games too, and not even mention that some HBC apps are still in development and need internet connection to update (i.e. Nintendont).

Even if you were to disable internet connection and put it up just to play, it still asks you for the update as soon as you get online.

The only workaround is blocking the IPs/URLs for the updates, which was my bad as to not have done so earlier.
Nevertheless, the main reason I want HB in Wii U is mainly due to the great potential for Homebrew Apps and emulators that can greatly benefit from using both TV and GamePad. DS and N64 emulators are my dream for the Wii U. As far as it goes, until that is a reality I still have no reason to feel bad about updating, so I am not that let-down because of the accidental update.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is quite a dilemma in this scenario.
I, for example, have the Wii U connected to the internet but not in Stand By, I use it as my main multimedia console, add to it the fact that I can use the internet browser and YouTube app to watch videos, and even watch full movies online and it also has full vWii homebrew.
Add to that the fact that I play online both Wii U games and Wii games too, and not even mention that some HBC apps are still in development and need internet connection to update (i.e. Nintendont).

Even if you were to disable internet connection and put it up just to play, it still asks you for the update as soon as you get online.

The only workaround is blocking the IPs/URLs for the updates, which was my bad as to not have done so earlier.
Nevertheless, the main reason I want HB in Wii U is mainly due to the great potential for Homebrew Apps and emulators that can greatly benefit from using both TV and GamePad. DS and N64 emulators are my dream for the Wii U. As far as it goes, until that is a reality I still have no reason to feel bad about updating, so I am not that let-down because of the accidental update.

Even if you blocked the updates, you eventually would have to update to gain access to online modes, as was eventually discovered shortly after people getting MK 8. So, even if you were on X firmware, and a new one came out, even if you blocked the IP addresses, you still would have to update to a new firmware. Can't you simply remove the internet connection settings on the Wii U though? As for me, I'm paranoid as hell to update or accidentally update to 5.3.0, even though I unplugged my Ethernet.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I'm going to attempt to develop a side-channel attack using an Arduino device to escalate privileges on the Wii U to eventually gain CafeOS kernel access. This will provide yet another method to run homebrew (which can coincide with what Marionumber1 and others are doing). I don't plan on releasing any of it until its really ready to be put out in the wild. Once released it will certainly be open source hardware/software, but in order to maximize firmware compatibility I need to keep all the details under wraps until its ready to see the light of day. I don't want it patched right off the bat, that will leave us stuck in the same rut as the current situation as the webkit exploit (until new bugs are exploited). If you're savvy enough to be able to program an Arduino device (you can pick them up at Radioshack/Ratshack (in the US) and possibly tie in any additional components that may be required to run it (not sure what if anything will be required just yet) than you will be able to use this exploit (if I can pull it off). If any additional components are required, you will need to be handy with a soldering iron (or at the very least, familiar with breadboarding/protoboarding) to be able to add the additional components. Despite all this, the Arduino in question will run completely externally from the Wii U console (no need to crack open the case). It will run off a usb port (or two, three or four lol). Absolutely ZERO source code or schematics will be released until its ready to be released, simply because I don't want the masses to be locked out of this right from the get-go.

Since this will be Arduino based, its completely DIY, just pick up the parts from your local Ratshack or other electronics hobby chain/shop/website, download the code (yes the code will be free :) )and run it. It will likely need to be run each and everytime you want to run unsigned code, but hey, if I can pull this off, it will give us free reign over the console in Wii U mode :).

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I'm going to attempt to develop a side-channel attack using an Arduino device to escalate privileges on the Wii U to eventually gain CafeOS kernel access. This will provide yet another method to run homebrew (which can coincide with what Marionumber1 and others are doing). I don't plan on releasing any of it until its really ready to be put out in the wild. Once released it will certainly be open source hardware/software, but in order to maximize firmware compatibility I need to keep all the details under wraps until its ready to see the light of day. I don't want it patched right off the bat, that will leave us stuck in the same rut as the current situation as the webkit exploit (until new bugs are exploited). If you're savvy enough to be able to program an Arduino device (you can pick them up at Radioshack/Ratshack (in the US) and possibly tie in any additional components that may be required to run it (not sure what if anything will be required just yet) than you will be able to use this exploit (if I can pull it off). If any additional components are required, you will need to be handy with a soldering iron (or at the very least, familiar with breadboarding/protoboarding) to be able to add the additional components. Despite all this, the Arduino in question will run completely externally from the Wii U console (no need to crack open the case). It will run off a usb port (or two, three or four lol). Absolutely ZERO source code or schematics will be released until its ready to be released, simply because I don't want the masses to be locked out of this right from the get-go.

Since this will be Arduino based, its completely DIY, just pick up the parts from your local Ratshack or other electronics hobby chain/shop/website, download the code (yes the code will be free :) )and run it. It will likely need to be run each and everytime you want to run unsigned code, but hey, if I can pull this off, it will give us free reign over the console in Wii U mode :).
Were you the guy who released the video for the Four Horsemen like, almost a year ago? I like the enthusiasm BUT I sometimes think it is over the top. Like Russell Wilson commercials. "Wake up champ, get up, you can do anything." I support your efforts (hope for you to succeed) but sometimes I find myself doing a good old "smh", lol. Somebody else suggested this on another site, I just remembered this, and another user who I have not seen in a while saw the same thing I think (his username was the same there). Rednekcowboy? Somebody was talking about side channel attacks, using sound or something, and then it died. Four Horsemen thing was proven to be a joke and died, the Nintendo person had no incentive to post about something so specific being patched in the kernel exploit (attempt at it). This group, that group, this idea, that idea, etc. It is like a TMZ sort of thing. It is all amusing but has all been fluff and talk. Maybe 5 years after the Wii U ceases production there might be some ODE device released then like a Gameboy cart I saw, like over 20 years later something cool is released. Did anyone see that on the front page here? A cart for Gameboy?

Anyway, good luck TSK.

EDIT, I forgot about Fatal Error. Their posts were ripped up by Marcan and others, THEN they randomly appear once in a while to say something that turns out to be nothing (so far). The attempts to sell "nothing" is amusing.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Were you the guy who released the video for the Four Horsemen like, almost a year ago? I like the enthusiasm BUT I sometimes think it is over the top. Like Russell Wilson commercials. "Wake up champ, get up, you can do anything." I support your efforts (hope for you to succeed) but sometimes I find myself doing a good old "smh", lol. Somebody else suggested this on another site, I just remembered this, and another user who I have not seen in a while saw the same thing I think (his username was the same there). Rednekcowboy? Somebody was talking about side channel attacks, using sound or something, and then it died. Four Horsemen thing was proven to be a joke and died, the Nintendo person had no incentive to post about something so specific being patched in the kernel exploit (attempt at it). This group, that group, this idea, that idea, etc. It is like a TMZ sort of thing. It is all amusing but has all been fluff and talk. Maybe 5 years after the Wii U ceases production there might be some ODE device released then like a Gameboy cart I saw, like over 20 years later something cool is released. Did anyone see that on the front page here? A cart for Gameboy?

Anyway, good luck TSK.

Actually, it was someone else that released it, I think I might know who it was, but I won't mention names.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hell it was. That wasn't me, but thank you for associating me in such an ignominious manner. Appreciated.

Yes, it was me because I clearly have access to Wii U exploits.
It was a devkit I thought, and really required no exploits for a retail unit from what I recall. Anyway, it has all been a farce so far.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey all,

If the kernel access could be done like you said, what would be the hardware needed to perform this?
Just the Arduino and all the software that comes along with it?
(And of course... The source code for the Arduino that enables kernel access XD)
Would there be any fancy connections or soldering to be made?

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the kernel access could be done like you said, what would be the hardware needed to perform this?
Just the Arduino and all the software that comes along with it?
(And of course... The source code for the Arduino that enables kernel access XD)
Would there be any fancy connections or soldering to be made?
Please God make it stop. Stop feeding it. This is probably not even possible, others have discussed this type of thing "side channel stuff" and they disappeared. IF Marcan or others have a video or say it is, then I'll gladly "stand corrected" here, lmfao.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please God make it stop. Stop feeding it. This is probably not even possible, others have discussed this type of thing "side channel stuff" and they disappeared. IF Marcan or others have a video or say it is, then I'll gladly "stand corrected" here, lmfao.

Calm your tits, man. Deal with it. Stop being the official Debby Downer.

Reactions: VinsCool

pedrobarca

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Just for clarification: The Smash Bros. Disc will NOT contain the 5.3.0 update. Nintendo is producing the disc for weeks now, the game is at it's final state for at least a month, it will definitely not contain the new update, which was released two days ago. However, I guess it might be that there will be a day one patch, which is needed for using amiibo.

Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1