1. ndeadly

OP ndeadly GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    MissionControl

Use controllers from other consoles natively on your Nintendo Switch via Bluetooth. No dongles or other external hardware neccessary.​

Features
    • Connect up to 8 non-switch Bluetooth controllers simultaneously without any additional hardware.
    • Make use of native HOS menus for controller pairing, button remapping (firmware 10.0.0+) etc.
    • Supports all Switch firmware versions
    • btdrv-mitm module adds extension IPC commands that can be used to interact with the bluetooth process without interfering with the state of the system.
    Supported Controllers

Currently, the following controllers are supported. If you have a third-party variant of one of the below, or a Bluetooth controller that isn't listed, consider submitting an issue with the controller details, including vid/pid, to request support.​
    • Nintendo Wii Remote + extensions (Nunchuck, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro, SNES Mini, TaTaCon (Taiko drum))
    • Nintendo WiiU Pro Controller
    • Sony DualShock4 Controller
    • Microsoft Xbox One S/X Controller*
    • NVidia shield controller
    • Ouya Controller
    • Gamestick Controller
    • Gembox Controller
    • Ipega Controllers (9023, 9062S, 9076, 9078, 9087 9096 confirmed working. Others may also work)
    • Xiaomi Mi Controller
    • Steelseries Free Controller
    • GameSir G3s & G4s Controllers
    • Hori Onyx Controller
    • 8BitDo ZERO Controller
    • PowerA Moga Hero & Moga Pro 2 Controllers
    *Not all Xbox One wireless controllers support Bluetooth. Older variants use a proprietary 2.4Ghz protocol and cannot be used with the Switch.​

Requirements
    • Hackable Nintendo Switch running at least version 0.14.2 of Atmosphère custom firmware. Other custom firmwares are not supported.
    • Compatible Bluetooth controller
    Installation

Download the latest release .zip and extract to the root of your SD card, allowing the folders to merge and overwriting any existing files. A console reboot is required in order for MissionControl to become active.

It is recommended after rebooting to also disconnect any physically connected controllers from the console, delete the pairing database, and re-pair via bluetooth to make sure your existing Switch controllers have the correct hardware ID stored and can be recognised properly. To delete the database, navigate to System Settings->Controllers and Sensors->Disconnect Controllers

IMPORTANT: Atmosphère >= 0.14.2 is required to run the latest release of MissionControl. Older Atmosphere versions will cause a hang at the Nintendo logo during boot. Users upgrading from version 0.1.0 of MissionControl are also advised to wipe their pairing database and re-pair controllers running 0.2.0 or greater. Failure to wipe the old entries may result in non-switch controllers being detected incorrectly.

Usage

Install MissionControl to your SD card and reboot the console.

MissionControl runs as a background process and makes use of the system's native UI to handle controllers. The controller pairing dialog can be accessed from the home screen via Controllers->Change Grip/Order. While sitting on this screen, place your controller in pairing mode (see below) and wait for it to connect to the console. Once paired, controllers will reconnect automatically when woken up. There is no need to re-pair them every time.

Controllers that successfully pair but haven't been supported yet will display with red buttons on the Controllers menu to indicate their controls are not being mapped. Please open an issue to request support for such controllers.

Most native features should just work (with the exception of things like firmware update). If you find something that's broken please create an issue.
    Pairing controllers

The supported controllers each have their own methods to enter pairing/sync mode. Below are instructions on entering this mode for each supported type.

Wii(U) Controllers
    Press the red sync button on the back of the controller. The controller LEDs will blink rapidly.

Dualshock4 Controllers
    Press and hold the PS + share buttons simultaneously until the lightbar starts blinking. When done correctly the blink pattern will resemble a heartbeat, otherwise it will blink periodically.

Xbox One Controllers
    Press and hold the guide(X) button until the LED starts blinking. Then press and hold the small sync button on the back near the charging port until the LED starts blinking more rapidly. You should also ensure your controller firmware is up to date, as old firmwares were known to have flakey bluetooth.

Other Controllers
    Please refer to your controller's user manual for information on how to put it in sync mode. Note that many generic Bluetooth controllers can be started in one of several modes. Usually you want to choose something like HID, PC or Android mode for it to work correctly.
    Planned Features
    • Controller management application
    • Rumble support
    • Motion support
    • Per-controller configurations
    • Keyboard and mouse support
    Known Issues and limitations
    • Non-Switch controllers cannot be used to wake the system from sleep.
    • Xbox One, Wii/WiiU and (especially) some Dualshock v1 controllers can take some time to be detected and subsequently pair with the Console. Be patient and re-enter the sync mode of the controller several times if necessary. Once synced, controllers should work as usual.
    • Xbox One button layout was changed at some point in a firmware update. Please ensure your controller firmware is up to date if you have issues with incorrect button mappings.
    • Reported controller battery levels may not be correct. I'm relying entirely on reverse engineering notes found on the internet for these. In many cases I don't own the controller and there is simply no information available, so these controllers will always show full battery. Any help in improving this is most welcome.
    Frequently Asked Questions

Does this run on <insert CFW here>?
    No. MissionControl will only run under Atmosphère. This is not some petty act of malice toward other CFWs and their users. Others simply don't (currently) provide the framework neccessary for this sysmodule to work.

Does this support USB controllers?
    No. MissionControl is Bluetooth-only for now.

Does this work with sys-con installed?
    Yes, I have had several reports from users that the two can be used together without issue.

How can I use this with multiple sysNAND/emuMMC launch configs?
    Pairing controllers across multiple unique HOS installations requires multiple pairing databases and is essentially the same as pairing with two different consoles. The only exception being the case where you paired the controller(s) prior to making sysNAND copies. For now you will have to re-pair your controllers when switching back and forth. In the future I hope to include an option to load/store the database on the SD card to avoid this issue.

My Xbox One Controller buttons are mapped incorrectly. Can you fix it?
    You didn't read the Known Issues and Limitations section, did you? You need to update your controller firmware to the latest version. This can be done on Windows using the Xbox Accessories app. You can also do this on the Xbox itself.

Can you add support for PS3 controllers?
    It's on my list of things to look into. The pairing process is non-standard and may require modifications to the bluetooth driver. If it can be done non-destructively I will add support eventually.

Can you add support for Xbox 360 controllers?
    No. These don't use Bluetooth. Try sys-con with a wireless USB adapter.

Can you add support for wake from sleep?
    Probably not. As far as I know, wake from sleep involves a controller sending a special control command to the Switch Bluetooth hardware. There is no way to make a non-switch controller send the command recognised by the Switch without modifying its hardware/firmware.

Can you add bluetooth audio support?
    No. The bluetooth module on the switch only implements a small set of services required to make hid controllers work. Of this small set of services, only a handful of high-level functions are exposed to the rest of the system. Adding audio support would require implementing the services neccessary for audio transport, for which any sane person would require an open-source re-implementation of the bluetooth module in order to have access the low-level functions required to pull it off.

Link:
    https://github.com/ndeadly/MissionControl

Latest release:
    https://github.com/ndeadly/MissionControl/releases/tag/v0.3.0

Donate:
    https://ko-fi.com/ndeadly
    btc: bc1q4rh4vmqaujmewrswes303nms5mj3p80j7lqat0

Last edited by ndeadly, Oct 4, 2020
  2. iriez

iriez GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    3DSBricker, Tyvar1, Esppiral and 10 others like this.
  3. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Does rumble work on PS4 Controller?

Last edited by NANASHI89, Aug 27, 2020
  4. ndeadly

Australia
    No rumble for any controllers at this point. Will be added in a future release

Teletron1, Tyvar1, hausa51 and 10 others like this.
  5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    This is freaking awesome. I have a Switch Pro Controller but it's great to be able to use some of the controllers for other systems just laying around gathering dust for some multiplayer action.

GuyInDogSuit and Dark Ronin like this.
  6. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Psycho!

Mexico
    Does it support controllers via USB? If not can this sysmod be used along with sys-con?

7. ndeadly

Australia
    No, this is Bluetooth only for now. I've never used sys-con but I emulate a switch pro controller at a lower level and only really interact with the bluetooth module so it's probably fine.

8. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Chile
    It’s really great, could be possible map the screenshot button to (+) + (-) combo? Would be ideal for Wiimote + extensions and WiiU Pro Controller :)

lordelan and Broduskii like this.
  9. ndeadly

Australia
    Someone else has raised the idea of button combos too. It's something I'll add in a future release once I've got a proper companion application running to manage the configuration.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Great timing considering my switch pro controller literally just stopped charging(think the port broke)

I’ll have to try this tonight with my Xbox one controller , great work!

11. thedizzy90

thedizzy90 Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Does it support SXOS??

12. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Great project!

13. ndeadly

Australia
    I am not an SXOS user and only officially support Atmosphere. It might? Can SXOS run other custom sysmodules?. If so then this can probably work too, however someone else will have to figure it out.

14. WiiHomebrew+Snes

WiiHomebrew+Snes GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    ah yes, can't wait until I use a PS3 controller tethered to a battery pack instead of to the switch dock. brilliant.

in all seriousness, this is super freaking useful

Last edited by WiiHomebrew+Snes, Aug 27, 2020
  15. WiiHomebrew+Snes

WiiHomebrew+Snes GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Trying to set it up with a ps4 controller, not working.
    Wii controller works fine though.

Last edited by WiiHomebrew+Snes, Aug 27, 2020
    giwty likes this.
  16. nWo

nWo The Game Master

Mexico
    Great, thank you and I will test it when I get home!! Looking forward to more updates and compatibility in the future. Thank you, this is a great, great advantage.

17. gamemasteru03

gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

United States
    Just tried this out on my xbox controller works great! Now I dont have to hear my friend whine about having to play smash with a single joycon. Thanks a ton!

18. JonJaded

JonJaded GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is HUGEEEE.

Hope to see this project go far.

EDIT: How much more sys memory does this use? Does it cut into the amount of allocated memory for

Last edited by JonJaded, Aug 27, 2020
    Tyvar1, drrastovac and bubolechka like this.
  19. shattacrew

shattacrew Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Amazing! I have a mayflash ns but this makes me able to use multiple controllers and dongle less. Just need motion and rumble and this is perfect.

slaphappygamer likes this.
  20. zerofalcon

zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Fantastic! Just about a year ago I bought a mayflash Magic NS for this purpose but this module is way more suitable without a dongle.

21. enderer

enderer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    panic occurred while running atmosphere title id 01000000000000000006
    error std::abort (0xFFE)
    all i did was copy zip and try to boot atmos via hekate with fusee primary

EDIT: updated atmosphere to the latest and it works! my wii u pro controllers (all four of them) connected and work! this is my favorite homebrew rn!

Last edited by enderer, Aug 27, 2020
    MUDD_BR and bonoboy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - MissionControl, controllers, Bluetooth