Hacking UPDATE 5. >> 3 << .0

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Smash has the 5.3.0 update on disc, does that mean I have to update in order to play game? I really don't want to miss out on potential homebrew...

Well, the Amiibo update is 5.3.0 and since SSB4 uses them, that's what it sounds like, unless we magically find a way to prevent disc updates like we did on the Wii.

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
If Smash has the 5.3.0 update on disc, does that mean I have to update in order to play game? I really don't want to miss out on potential homebrew...

I'm going to counter this question with another: Why would you ask this if the game isn't out yet so no one can check?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Why did she use it without your permission? But yeah, I don't know, the uncertainty pisses me off, this means I can't play SSB4 till next year....bollocks, I say.
That's her kind of thing. Grabbing stuff without permission...
It doesn't hurt me that much. I'm just like "Damn... :/"
Wait until we get a DS/N64 emu for Wii U, then I'll rip her heart out like Kano.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to counter this question with another: Why would you ask this if the game isn't out yet so no one can check?
Well, their reasoning is that SSB4 uses Amiibo figurines, and 5.3.0 allows the Wii U to be able to use said Amiibo, and with SSB4 coming out in less than two weeks, wouldn't the game have 5.3.0 preinstalled on the discs? I'm curious if anyone's actually confirmed this.

That's her kind of thing. Grabbing stuff without permission...
It doesn't hurt me that much. I'm just like "Damn... :/"
Wait until we get a DS/N64 emu for Wii U, then I'll rip her heart out like Kano.

We already know DS emulation exists, Europe and Japan did get a DS game on the eShop, Brain Age, so emulation isn't too far out of reach, someone has to port DeSmuME to Wii U. Failing that, vWii Linux will be another backdoor of sorts.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are conflicted at either playing SSB4 or waiting for Homebrew, as most likely SSB4 will have the 5.3.0 update. Why not just buy a console only Wii U from eBay? All the stuff you have from your existing Wii U will work with the standalone Wii U, this would be cheaper then buying a whole new or refurbished Wii U. I was fortunate enough to buy a Wii U console for $60 and it needed an optical drive replacement, and that cost me $30, total up to $90 (all with shipping cost included). So now I can wait for Homebrew and play SSB4, regardless if updates is required or not. Just a little more then the price of a new game :). So you could say, that the Wii U is actually $90. It is a black 32GB Wii U model in case you want to know what model it is.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are conflicted at either playing SSB4 or waiting for Homebrew, as most likely SSB4 will have the 5.3.0 update. Why not just buy a console only Wii U from eBay? All the stuff you have from your existing Wii U will work with the standalone Wii U, this would be cheaper then buying a whole new or refurbished Wii U. I was fortunate enough to buy a Wii U console for $60 and it needed an optical drive replacement, and that cost me $30, total up to $90 (all with shipping cost included). So now I can wait for Homebrew and play SSB4, regardless if updates is required or not. Just a little more then the price of a new game :). So you could say, that the Wii U is actually $90. It is a black 32GB Wii U model in case you want to know what model it is.

I don't trust previously owned electronics, and how do I know that the Wii U get from there won't break down or end up DOA? I can't get one right now dude to financial strain. Asking for a donation would be beyond preposterous and tactless, so, it ain't gonna happan soon. Otherwise, I'd be all for that.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I don't trust previously owned electronics, and how do I know that the Wii U get from there won't break down or end up DOA? I can't get one right now dude to financial strain. Asking for a donation would be beyond preposterous and tactless, so, it ain't gonna happan soon. Otherwise, I'd be all for that.

Sell something you don't use anymore then.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sell something you don't use anymore then.

In the process of that, actually, my old DS Lite I got in 2007. Still works perfectly, along with some games, maybe 70 tops, maybe. Posted on eBay and Craigslist, we'll have to see. I still have difficulty trusting used electronics, so, a used Wii U won't be ideal. A refurb would work better because that's more likely to work. That'd be for legit use whereas the one I have now for hacks.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually even new electronic can end up DOA, I have encountered some before. Also I had new electronics die on me within the year I bought it. So even new electronics do have risk as well as used one, but I do see what you mean though, as the new electronic carries much lower risk then a used one, and a refurbished electronic is also used, however carries less risk then a regular used one. I generally prefer to buy new electronic myself, but on accession I by refurbished and used electronics. Keep in mind that the Wii U has only two moving parts, the fan and the optical drive. So chances are if package correctly, it shouldn't break from point A to B.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually even new electronic can end up DOA, I have encountered some before. Also I had new electronics die on me within the year I bought it. So even new electronics do have risk as well as used one, but I do see what you're talking about, as the new electronic carries much lower risk then a used one, and a refurbished electronic is also used, however carries less risk then a regular used one. I generally prefer to buy new electronic myself, but on accession I by refurbished and used electronics. Keep in mind that the Wii U has only two moving parts, the fan and the optical drive. So chances are if package correctly, it shouldn't break from point A to B.

True, but still, and I'd need to see the seller's rating to make sure it's 99 or 100% with a lot of reviews and such, it would be nice to have two Wii U consoles for hacks and legit use.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Uh, dude, you can always use illicit materials. I was refering to something more attached.

What the fuck are you talking about? I made a sugestion, and nothing is illegal on selling old things.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why do people have an internet connection set up on their WiiU in the first place? Surely if you want to play Mario Kart 8 or whatever you should just manually add the connection then delete it afterwards. It's a pain, but avoids family members accidentally updating the console.

I don't have an internet connection set up at all, and only update when a game that I want to play comes with the update. Then I make a case-by-case decision.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: