Gaming Unreal 4 not ruled out for WiiU - EPIC

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was litterally just linking a source to a post I read a while back. It wasnt debunked when I read about it, in fact people had accepted it. But you are correct.
Retro Studios intended to give Metroid Prime 3: Corruption larger environments than Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and enable the game to run at 60 frames per second. The developers were also interested in using the WiiConnect24 feature to provide additional content for the game that would be accessible from the Internet. A small Metroid Prime 3 Tech Demo was shown at E3 2005, created with the MP2 3D Engine. (...) In January 2012, thanks to a fundraising organized by some users of the Assembler Forum, a 2006 demo, which documented a beta version of the second planet of Metroid Prime 3, was dumped and released to the community. The proto was developed to run on Gamecube hardware with 128 mb of ram, so it’s playable only on a custom version of the Wii emulator Dolphin. Using the debug menu it is possible to active/deactivate the various power-up and to try the third-person camera. The map is still incomplete, so only a few areas are accessible. Apart from minor differences, the general layout of the location is remarkably similar to the final version.
~http://www.unseen64.net

Unless they magically made the Unreal 2 Engine look exactly the same as their modified Metroid Prime 2 engine within a year, it's not the Unreal engine. ;)

Didn't was confirmed like a month ago by Retro Studios the the Prime trilogy ran on a custom Unreal Engine?
They have never openly stated so.

Reactions: 1 person

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Metroid on Wii uses Unreal
source?
Here you go...even though you have this googley thing too. Are all forum users this lazy?
http://gbatemp.net/t...nreal-engine-2/
http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=457673
plus many many many many many more sources that I cannot be bothered to search for again.
No it didn't. It was a rumour based on weak evidence that's been debunked. The irony here is that it's been debunked in the exact two threads you just posted. The only reason why anyone ever thought it was Unreal-based was that it has a folder named "cooked" which is also present in the Unreal 2 engine. Except "cooked" is a common term in computer science and has nothing to do with Unreal whatsoever. In fact, the folder's there due to the fact that it's a term used in Maya - the rendering software used to create 3D animation and effects in the game.
Lesson for the future: read your source before you post it.

I was litterally just linking a source to a post I read a while back. It wasnt debunked when I read about it, in fact people had accepted it. But you are correct.
Didn't was confirmed like a month ago by Retro Studios the the Prime trilogy ran on a custom Unreal Engine?

If the WiiU can't run Unreal Engine 4 is GameOver for Nintendo

silver_ryder

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Or "game over" for Epic and is UE 4, for now the other game consoles are speculations.

If is true that they need 8GB Ram for the UE4 to work well on game consoles they may have a surprise With 2GB of Ram for WiiU, and 4GB ram for "PS4" and "Xbox 720"...

It isn't the "end of the world", their are others game engines ready to the "take down", is a business...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Or "game over" for Epic and is UE 4, for now the other game consoles are speculations.

If is true that they need 8GB Ram for the UE4 to work well on game consoles they may have a surprise With 2GB of Ram for WiiU, and 4GB ram for "PS4" and "Xbox 720"...

It isn't the "end of the world", their are others game engines ready to the "take down", is a business...
Skyrim uses 2 gigs RAM tops on the PC (unless you hack past the RAM lock embedded in the game) and yet it works on the XBox 360 with just 512 megs. Hell, it works on the PS3 with 256 megs.

Console games are optimized and usually require less resources than their PC counterparts.

silver_ryder

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Skyrim uses 2 gigs RAM tops on the PC (unless you hack past the RAM lock embedded in the game) and yet it works on the XBox 360 with just 512 megs. Hell, it works on the PS3 with 256 megs.

Console games are optimized and usually require less resources than their PC counterparts.

I'm ware of that, usually people mistake on comparing consoles VS PC'S specs, for exp. my laptop with dual core and 4GB of ram can't equalize a PS3.

My point is if is true that the UE4 needs 8GB of ram on a game console to be efficient, they ill probably have a big surprise when they realize that WiiU only Have 2GB of ram and the PS4 or Xbox 720 4GB RAM.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Where is it said that it needs 8GB of RAM to be efficient? The amount of RAM required is based on the amount of content being used at any given point. A game could use UE4, and yet only take up 256MB because it isn't using every single capability of the engine, doesn't have so many unique attributes, etc. There will obviously be a "minimum" RAM requirement for getting the engine up and running, but I doubt it'll be higher than 256MB, let alone more than the RAM capacity the Wii U, PS4, or 720 will contain.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The games are usually "nerfed" rather than purely optimized. Lower resolution textures, dumbing down actor models, reduced draw distances, reduced physics calculations, ect. Whlie there is some optimizzation going on, the easy way out is usually taken because it costs less money to nerf stuff rather than actuually spend time making it work better

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Unreal Engine was pretty much the most popular engine this generation and has been a staple engine. If games move on to Unreal Engine 4 and you can't handle Unreal Engine 4, then you're going to be missing a shit ton of games.

D

Deleted_171835

ITT: People don't understand that power doesn't dictate whether it can run the engine. Hardware features ≠ Power.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The games are usually "nerfed" rather than purely optimized. Lower resolution textures, dumbing down actor models, reduced draw distances, reduced physics calculations, ect. Whlie there is some optimizzation going on, the easy way out is usually taken because it costs less money to nerf stuff rather than actuually spend time making it work better

That's what I meant. ;)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
But is this news even needed to be a separate article?

I seriously think people like you just post that to boost up your count... -.-

On topic... If the Wii U can't support UE4... Well, that's a darn shame.. I guess all of those games will be ruined without looking so realistic... Oh well, gameplay never meant anything anyway.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ITT: People don't understand that power doesn't dictate whether it can run the engine. Hardware features ≠ Power.
Engines make a HUGE difference in performance.
I think his point was that running an engine or not is not entirely a matter of computational power - the hardware has to accomodate the engine as the engine is likely to be prepared for a very specified and specialized architecture, aka, it will require a compatible GPU for best results (spreaking solely of graphics engines now, not physics, A.I etc., althought even THAT is accelerated by hardware lately).

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
But is this news even needed to be a separate article?

I seriously think people like you just post that to boost up your count... -.-

On topic... If the Wii U can't support UE4... Well, that's a darn shame.. I guess all of those games will be ruined without looking so realistic... Oh well, gameplay never meant anything anyway.
Why would I want to boost my post count when I already have one blue ribbon? In the past, maybe yes, but why would I do it now?

There is already a similar thread on UE4 on Wii U and I just feel that this thread can be merged inside rather than making a new one. Is there anything wrong with that?

On topic: IMO even of the Wii U cannot support UE4, it won't die anyway.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Engines make a HUGE difference in performance.
I think his point was that running an engine or not is not entirely a matter of computational power - the hardware has to accomodate the engine as the engine is likely to be prepared for a very specified and specialized architecture, aka, it will require a compatible GPU for best results (spreaking solely of graphics engines now, not physics, A.I etc., althought even THAT is accelerated by hardware lately).
You are right, but this is still dependable on the platform the engine runs from, and the purpose intended.
UED for instance is highly adaptable.
So if something would be impossible hardware wise, engine could point out to be a solution at some point.
Agreed it would mean that something else has to make room in some cases and that hardware can hold up.
Hardware physics would be mandatory nowadays, but still require a engine.
Bad engine, bad physics.

To be clear, I agree.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: