Hacking WIP [Trinket] [Rebug] [Others] SWITCHBOOT_UF2 / FUSEE_UF2 modchip software

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK...

v1.5.3beta online

• Full wear-levelling to extend the already infinite life of your chip, by changing how writes and rewrites are handled. Thanks to @MatinatorX for original idea and example code!
  • UF2 drive access from vol+ button(if strap is fitted of course) - Simply hold for around 12 seconds, a white blinking light will appear. Turn off console, disconnect from USB, turn on and reconnect - UF2 drive up!
  • Flat battery assistance for autoRCM && autoboot users. If flat battery is detected, your device will no longer bootloop - it will begin to charge (in the dock). Once sufficient charge to avoid bootloop, console will start to complete charging. There is no configuration on this - its all automagic. If battery is too flat, Hekate / Switchboot will no longer run your battery until it physically cant provide power anymore, it will display a Horizon-esque graphic telling you to charge battery before shutting off console
  • Fixed a stupid bug where I forgot to mount the SD card, leading to black screens for some users.
  • Ability to enable / disable payload.bin or payload(x).bin from within the menu
  • Ability to automatically turn off console when you disconnect USB in RCM mode. In the boot settings.
  • Other bugfixes and probably new bugs. Because I`m an imbicile.

Grab from OP. Like I say - a lot of new stuff in this, hence this is a beta pending feedback.
People have asked why not ask if any of my mods go in Hekate main. The answer is, I'm a mere idiot and don't consider myself in the same league as other coders. Therefore, I'd hate to be told so.

It is better to be silent and thought of a fool, than to push your code and remove all doubt ;)

Cheers
Matty

Last edited by mattytrog,

psxfun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just stepped into the Trinket m0 installs with your excellent guides. Works flawless, great job! One thing i cant figure out, that is how to change payloads on the dev board. Ive read that you push the VOL UP button until the red LED in rapidly flashing. If it does that, it cycles a couple of other colors multiple times. I assume that every LED colour is a payload right? But no matter what color i confirm it always boots Hekate.

Also has your (part 2) bundle multiple payloads inside or just Hekate?
Sorry for my ignorant questions. I used to work with the RCM loader one. Selecting payloads with that tool was just pressing the plus button.

Thnks!

mattytrog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just stepped into the Trinket m0 installs with your excellent guides. Works flawless, great job! One thing i cant figure out, that is how to change payloads on the dev board. Ive read that you push the VOL UP button until the red LED in rapidly flashing. If it does that, it cycles a couple of other colors multiple times. I assume that every LED colour is a payload right? But no matter what color i confirm it always boots Hekate.

Also has your (part 2) bundle multiple payloads inside or just Hekate?
Sorry for my ignorant questions. I used to work with the RCM loader one. Selecting payloads with that tool was just pressing the plus button.

Thnks!
Ok...

The op needs updating maybe...

To change payload on the board, hold vol until red blink... Then the count will start.

Press again to confirm.

Reboot and your board will still boot switchboot, but the override payload (it loads before even the switchboot / Hekate screen comes up, completely overrides it) but instead of payload1.bin, it will now look for payload2.bin for example.

The payload is built/modified on the fly inside the trinket before the switch receives it.

Reactions: peteruk

Spook22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, it's got to be said, this is a very frustrating experience for someone new to this.

The instructions are difficult to follow and seem incomplete. Maybe it's just me being thick.

I'm not particularly bothered about all the finer details, all I want to be able to do is boot sxos or stock firmware without having to remember to carry around the dongle and jig.

I get lots of flashing coloured lights (that don't seemed to be described anywhere) but I get a black screen which requires a battery lead pull to fix.

I've tried both 1.5.3 of switchboot and have resorted to fusee and it seemed the simpler of the two methods. I have all the straps wired with a trinket M0 (including USB strap).

I've placed payload.bin in the root, but have also tried payload1.bin in root, as well as it a bootloader directory (this is the sxos payload).

On connecting the battery, I get 5 green flashes and the switch boots to standard firmware. Whilst the switch is in standard firmware, pressing the power button briefly causes a blue flash followed by a green (and the little red led) to flash as it goes into sleep. Pressing the button to wake the switch I get the same sequence.

On holding the power button to switch off the switch, the blue led stays lit until power button is released.

Powering back up with the VOL+ pressed I get 2 red flashes followed by a green flash and a black screen. At this point there is no way back, holding power for 20 seconds has no effect, the only thing that will recover the switch is pulling the battery lead.

Any pointers or help would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

mattytrog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, it's got to be said, this is a very frustrating experience for someone new to this.

The instructions are difficult to follow and seem incomplete. Maybe it's just me being thick.

I'm not particularly bothered about all the finer details, all I want to be able to do is boot sxos or stock firmware without having to remember to carry around the dongle and jig.

I get lots of flashing coloured lights (that don't seemed to be described anywhere) but I get a black screen which requires a battery lead pull to fix.

I've tried both 1.5.3 of switchboot and have resorted to fusee and it seemed the simpler of the two methods. I have all the straps wired with a trinket M0 (including USB strap).

I've placed payload.bin in the root, but have also tried payload1.bin in root, as well as it a bootloader directory (this is the sxos payload).

On connecting the battery, I get 5 green flashes and the switch boots to standard firmware. Whilst the switch is in standard firmware, pressing the power button briefly causes a blue flash followed by a green (and the little red led) to flash as it goes into sleep. Pressing the button to wake the switch I get the same sequence.

On holding the power button to switch off the switch, the blue led stays lit until power button is released.

Powering back up with the VOL+ pressed I get 2 red flashes followed by a green flash and a black screen. At this point there is no way back, holding power for 20 seconds has no effect, the only thing that will recover the switch is pulling the battery lead.

Any pointers or help would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

They are incomplete. I have had so much to do lately, I haven`t had chance to complete a thorough write-up.

Easiest thing to do, is:

Choose your part 1 file. Either dualboot by holding vol during power-on, or perma-CFW boot. in this case, CFW will always load.
Choose your part 2 file. Either Fusee_UF2 or Switchboot_UF2.
Drag and drop this onto your SWITCHBOOT or TRINKETBOOT drive.

Fusee_UF2 just searches for "payload.bin" on SD and boots it.

Switchboot is a mod of the Hekate bootloader that is more engineered towards our chips.
Will also boot payload.bin. Will also boot Linux or anything for that matter.

Don`t worry about the extra stuff. That is just for hardcore modders.

Casual users will be fine with Fusee_UF2.

psxfun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Matty thanks for your reply!
I connected al the straplines btw and used the Dual boot file part 1 and Switchboot part 2 version 1.50

Only a couple questions left..

-Where do i put the payloads? Bootloader folder/payloads?

-What LED color refers to what payload? example, selecting yellow is payload2.bin?

-When booting in stock firmware (only pressing power at bootup) is that a clean boot by the Nintendo bootloader so with burning fuses? And whats the difference when booting stock firmware with EmuNAND through Hekate (VOL UP + POWER) ?...besides the custom bootloader offcourse.
It seems that i can use the normal boot way by just pressing POWER and go online with my original games has the same effect as booting stock in EmuNAND.

mattytrog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Matty thanks for your reply!
I connected al the straplines btw and used the Dual boot file part 1 and Switchboot part 2 version 1.50

Only a couple questions left..

-Where do i put the payloads? Bootloader folder/payloads?

-What LED color refers to what payload? example, selecting yellow is payload2.bin?

-When booting in stock firmware (only pressing power at bootup) is that a clean boot by the Nintendo bootloader so with burning fuses? And whats the difference when booting stock firmware with EmuNAND through Hekate (VOL UP + POWER) ?...besides the custom bootloader offcourse.
It seems that i can use the normal boot way by just pressing POWER and go online with my original games has the same effect as booting stock in EmuNAND.

I decided to do away with payload colours, as a lot of chips don`t use an RGB led. And in practice, using colours is useless to those with RCMX86 or REBUG boards.

The first "blink" (red on RGB LEDS) is always payloads - hold until first blink - let go, count the pulses. 1 pulse - payload1.bin, 2 pulses - payload2.bin etc etc upto payload8.bin. Press VOL+ just after your chosen blink, this will save your selection. Reboot Switchboot each time to see your new chosen payload.

The second "blink" - green is always mode. Just 2 modes operational now, in an attempt to simplify this.
Mode 1 will boot switchboot everytime(from the chip)
Mode 2 will boot Fusee_UF2 everytime(from the chip) - remember, all fusee-UF2 does is look for payload.bin (or payloadx.bin depending on the settings you made during the first "red" blink). Thats it. No further configuration necessary.

The third "blink" - blue is further settings. Only 2 further settings.
First is RGB led (called DotStar) brightness. Change your brightness level if too bright or too dim. For people with clear cases. Select this, your LED will fade from dim to white and back again 3 times. Hit vol+ at your required brightness. Saved. Done
Second is "reset". This will set all payloads, modes etc to default settings.

The fourth"blink" - white - you can just hold vol+ for around 10-12 seconds for this - will place your chip into Update mode. You will see a steady blinking light. Power off your console and reboot it. Itv will be a black screen. Connect to USB and your SWITCHBOOT / TRINKETBOOT drive will pop up for updating. Hold power-off for 12 seconds once you have finished dragging / dropping your UF2 files in this mode to return to normal.

Dualboot is only possible if your fuse count matches. Dualboot will NOT save fuses, indeed they are required to be burnt to make it a hardware dual-boot.
Booting stock from within Hekate / Switchboot, is just a normal stock boot, except the fuse-count is ignored. Meaning you can boot any version firmware, regardless of fuses.

Regarding clean boot - if you are using an emummc or emunand and have done since day 1, then I guess your systemNAND will be clean. Never go online if in CFW mode.

Reactions: FXDX

psxfun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alrighty, interesting, thinks are getting clear now. I will document/translate your comments and gonna test some more today. I see a lot of customers switching in my country from dongle to chip so i want to give them a good manual ; )

The fourth"blink" - white - you can just hold vol+ for around 10-12 seconds for this - will place your chip into Update mode. You will see a steady blinking light. Power off your console and reboot it. Itv will be a black screen. Connect to USB and your SWITCHBOOT / TRINKETBOOT drive will pop up for updating. Hold power-off for 12 seconds once you have finished dragging / dropping your UF2 files in this mode to return to normal.

I update the chip just by pressing reset 3 times ( 1 to wake it up and 2 quick presses after that) That works fine at least with 1.50. UF2 drive pops up just fine on the PC

Cheers made and have a nice day!

mattytrog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Alrighty, interesting, thinks are getting clear now. I will document/translate your comments and gonna test some more today. I see a lot of customers switching in my country from dongle to chip so i want to give them a good manual ; )

I update the chip just by pressing reset 3 times ( 1 to wake it up and 2 quick presses after that) That works fine at least with 1.50. UF2 drive pops up just fine on the PC

Cheers made and have a nice day!
Yep. That of course still works.

Just added the other method incase people couldn't access with reset button that's all. Ie rcmx86 with those magswitches.

Spook22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Matty,

Quick question, managed to get it to boot, thanks for the info. I am still getting a black screen when trying to power the switch on (from power off) when holding down the VOL+. Once I get this I've got to pull the battery lead to recover. I've tried holding the power button for 20 seconds, but it doesn't seem to want to recover from this without pulling the battery.

Is there a way to recover from a black screen, without pulling the battery lead off?

Cheers!

mattytrog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Matty,

Quick question, managed to get it to boot, thanks for the info. I am still getting a black screen when trying to power the switch on (from power off) when holding down the VOL+. Once I get this I've got to pull the battery lead to recover. I've tried holding the power button for 20 seconds, but it doesn't seem to want to recover from this without pulling the battery.

Is there a way to recover from a black screen, without pulling the battery lead off?

Cheers!
You shouldnt ever need to pull the battery lead off.

Has anyone ever been inside your console prior to you fitting a chip?

Care to post a picture of your install?

The problems you describe are not caused by Switchboot_UF2. It is either bad install, SD card misconfiguration or both.

Koksi__

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello matty.
I am using the RCM X86 Modchip in my switch, it is all fine, but i have a really bad battery drain in standby, i think it is about 10% when i leave it unplugged over night.
What can i do?
Should i desolder the USB Logic IC?

Thank you for the hard work.

mattytrog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello matty.
I am using the RCM X86 Modchip in my switch, it is all fine, but i have a really bad battery drain in standby, i think it is about 10% when i leave it unplugged over night.
What can i do?
Should i desolder the USB Logic IC?

Thank you for the hard work.
If you do, it will break USB comms. If removing the logic IC, you need to bridge the traces from the samd to the pads.

The battery drain shouldnt be that high though.

the USB logic is pulled HIGH when the chip goes to sleep. This ensures proper comms with things like goldleaf etc. As a result, it is always using power to keep it high. I`d have expected the drain to be in uA though.

Just an incorrect design ( well it was right for the time).

If you allow the USB logic to go low, you will have problems using goldleaf etc through USB.

Reactions: Koksi__

alkirah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm having an issue with the trinket. I installed it inside (all wires but the vol+ soldered).
I flashed the Part_1_TRINKET_DUAL_BOOT_Latest.uf2, let chip reboot, then flashed Part_2_TRINKET_SWITCHBOOT_PART2_LATEST.UF2.
The payload works flawlessly booting me in hekate v5.0.2.
I can (with the switch screen off) double tap the reset button to enter bootloader mode (trinketboot shows up with switch connected via usb-c).
Problem is with screen active, I get a message saying there's a problem with usb device connected (vid shows as 0000 and pid as 0002). It shows as unknown device and shows an error about device description failed.
I cannot get usb config working in goldleaf, can't inject payload from RCM (stops at black screen if I have usb-c plugged into switch and pc)
It also renders usb ports on the switch dock unusable (I assume for the same reason the switch cannot get detected on the PC).
A user posted that unsoldering d+ and d- line fixes the issues and makes everything back to working (besides the payload injection that he did on the pc).
It seems like the usb lines are held low, or both usb are active interfeering with each other. Even though all lights on trinket shut down after injecting the payload.
Any idea what's going on / how to fix this? I found couple more post on gbatemp about the exact same issue.
Thanks

Last edited by alkirah,

luzifers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi @mattytrog

I've installed the RCMX86 v2.0 without USB logic chip. Everything was working fine but recently I've realised that the USB is not working properly and it was before.

I put the switch in rcm mode to use tegrarcm to inject a payload but it's not recognised by the computer, it shows a message of an error from the last USB device connected.
USB devices are not recognised into Sxos to load xci, and nxmtp to mount the switch as a device its also not working. The first time I installed the chip all this things were tested and they worked.

Every time I connect the usb, the switch charges properly and I can use the Dock to play on the TV without problem.

I've checked all the solder points and they look OK and tested ok in continuity.

I've tried to disable the samd21 with a file you gave previously on the forum but I continue having the same problems with the usb.

I remember that you told me about worng GND connection could produce that kind of problems. My GND is connected to one of the USB screws, but when I test for continuity in every GND point the test it's flawless.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by luzifers,

Brusely

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Current version:
Switchboot_UF2: v1.5.3
Fusee-UF2: v3

Mini-blog

23/9/19: Corrected links in the below files. They were still taking you to old 1.4.3 files. v1.5.0 is now linked to the below files. Apologies to all who thought they were going mad. It wasn't you, it was me. Fail.

23/9/19: To-do: Make video on getting into UF2 mode
23/9/19: To-do: Put in last warning before restoring a partition in kamikaze mode.

Intro...

This is software for the SAMD21 range of "modchips" that we use on the Switch.
I`m aware that "modchip" isn`t technically the correct word, but it is more modchip now than just "payload pusher".
If you have one of these devices fitted to your console, you will know. You will also have a reset button on the chip to enable UF2 access.

If I have fitted your chip, then these files are of course fully compatible. If you have followed my guide in the tutorials section <HERE>, your chip is fully compatible.

If you have followed a guide from elsewhere, you will need to check your wiring and find out what "straps" you have fitted.

What are straps?

Nutshell... Straps are the wires that trigger RCM and maybe get you out of RCM too... Thats all.

In a nutshell...

• Choose a part 1 file depending on your requirements / wires you have soldered (straps)
  • Drop on to the UF2 drive (Called SWITCHBOOT if you have been with me for some time).
  • Choose a part 2 file... and drop on UF2 drive again.
Part 1 writes a different part of the chip than part 2... So you need to drag/drop (we will say flash) BOTH FILES.

Thats all.
Cheers from our beautiful kingdom of Britain, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland!

Credit to CTCAer for Hekate and everyone else who have assisted.

SAMD21 Update mode - UF2 drive access

Get into UF2 mode...

This is a method to get into UF2 mode...

Connect console to PC and send THIS payload using TegraRCMSmash...

SAMD21 Update payload - No SD card required.

Screen will go black, then double-press RESET on your chip... Your UF2 drive should pop up. If it doesn`t work the first time, try again. You can use the SAMD21 Update option in Switchboot also.

DOWNLOADS - Generic bin payload - for TegraRCMSmash / etc

Switchboot LATEST
Sleep library file

DOWNLOADS - MODCHIPS

1) Choose your chip below.
2) Select a part 1 file - DUAL-BOOT or PERMA_CFW_BOOT

View attachment 173166 Click this to see the difference in bootloaders...

3) Select a part 2 file

• Fusee-UF2 - Basic payload.bin launcher (with some extra bits)
  • Switchboot - My Hekate mod that I`ve tried to make better for modchip users

Always latest versions. Download files here...

Trinket M0

Part 1 - DUAL-BOOT (modified UF2 bootloader)
Part 1 - PERMA-CFW (modified UF2 bootloader)
Part 2 - Fusee UF2 latest (payload.bin launcher)
Part 2 - Switchboot_UF2 latest (CTCAer Hekate mod)

Rebug SwitchME

RCM-X86

Gemma M0

Itsybitsy M0

Feather M0 Express

Legacy Methods and dongles
Please check out my GitHub at:

https://github.com/mattytrog/Switchboot_PART_2

Go to the latest version and find your version in the Switchboot Part 2 UF2 folder.

Tidy_Memloader Add-on
Tidy memloader is HERE.

Drag and drop the bootloader folder to your SD card. Now you can launch memloader without messing up SD root, from within the dedicated menu option

Will the Fusee Bin boot Hekate right off the bat? I want to use the OG Hekate b/c yours wont boot Lakka correctly

XxShalevElimelechxX

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I flashed the trinket like 5 times so I don't think anything's wrong with it. I'll check the cap when I arrive home and report back, thanks!
Hi there! Sorry for the 19 days late response haha, my friend actually took his switch back then but I have it in my possession again now. The cap isn't shorted, what can it be then?

kurtdouglas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need a little help here. Using a Trinket M0 I booted the switch and got a purple light from the trinket. I injected the payload to update the files and double clicked the trinket's reboot button. Got a green light and a folder on windows. I copied both part 1 [dual boot] and part 2 [switchboot UF2 latest] files, but as soon as it finished copying over the trinket's led light shut off. I can't boot into it anymore. Injecting the samd21 update bin in TegraRCMGui just says "successfully injected, followed by RCM device disconnected. But nothing happens. I have autoRCM does that matter? Also the switch still works. Here is a picture of my wiring. Any help would be much appreciated. I was so close!

Edit: I can't post a picture of my wiring because I'm new.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: People are gonna find loopholes around clan tags and make inappropriate names.