Tomb Raider Reboot Dated, New Gameplay Trailer Released

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Livin in a box, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Livin in a box
    OP

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom

Square Enix have announced that Lara Croft will be hitting your games consoles and PCs again in the reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise on March 5th, 2013.

The game was delayed last month, with the developers citing that they required more development time.

Above is the new E3 trailer for Tomb Raider, which looks at some gameplay elements and gives a deeper look at what the game will be offering. It's looking good!

[​IMG] Source

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Heh, that's my dad's birthday.

But I'm kinda annoyed, too many of these E3 games have been pushed to 2013, I was hoping for some more fall/late 2012 already. But Tomb Raider is pushed back and MGR is pushed back.

3. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Call of Duty/Halo 4 effect. Everyone is scared.

4. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Well, that's usually the case for some smaller titles but I could at least see MGR getting a fall release if it wasn't for dev time. Plus it'd probably be a big Japan seller compared to Europe or the US while CoD and Halo would not be so much.

Like we had Skyrim and CoD last November and it didn't stop other notable releases (AC: Revelations, Saint's Row 3, Rayman Origins, etc).

I could see Tomb Raider though, the franchise just won't pick up as much traction with it being out of the loop for quite a bit and competing with big name, constant titles isn't a wise decision.

Also I didn't even know Halo 4 was coming out this fall.

5. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Christ, this really reminds me of Uncharted.

2 people like this.
  6. Guild McCommunist

United States
    It's like Dude Raider but with chicks!

7. emigre

United Kingdom
    Fixed that.

8. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Well seeing Uncharted isn't on PC I can only encourage this. Hopefully it has the same level as that series.

9. Guild McCommunist

United States
    God she screams too fucking much. Every five seconds in the trailer it's "UHHH!" or "AHH!" I understand that she's not yet the strong, independent Laura Croft of the older Tomb Raiders but c'mon. The entire trailer is just her screaming and getting the shit kicked out of her.

Gameplay looks fun but I don't know if I can stand playing as whimpering dog Laura Croft.

10. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    WTF? Everyone knows Uncharted is a tomb rider equivalent. Not the other way around...has tomb rider been gone that long?

11. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    Who the fuck is Laura?

Seriously though I agree wholeheartedly.
    She's getting beaten the shit out of :(

12. emigre

United Kingdom
    Tomb Raider was about platforming and meh shooting mechanics. Uncharted is a TPS/automatic platformer with lots of 'epic' moments i.e. burning bridges and shit like that. The Tomb Raider reboot looks to replicate what Naughty Dog have done with Uncharted in terms of gameplay and structure. The only similarity between the TR and Uncharted series is the whole treasure hunting shit. The difference is Uncharted is really good whilst Tomb Raider is pretty meh.

13. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    when tomb raider is now trying too hard to be uncharted
    yes

14. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Ah, I see they are still pushing on with this reboot. I would've preferred a true prequel instead... Lara Croft: Womb Raider.

15. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    uncharted 3 mixed with i am alive elements staring lara croft! i can't wait!

you are a hardcore uncharted fan then? so everything that copies something from uncharted is just junk and not worth playing, or what are you trying to say? naughty dog did something extremely right when they turned uncharted into an interactive theatrical experience. i'm happy other companies are starting to pay more attention to the story aspects, how they are told, how they affect the player, and exactly how to merge them with the gameplay. i don't see any reason to complain but rather to give a nod to uncharted for getting the ball rolling.

tomb raider was always about exploration, running, and gunning. just because the latest game looks better and is more refined are not reasons to say -- its now so much like uncharted that it sickens me. something will always get it right and everything after that will be influenced by it. its the nature of our entertainment industry, and has been for a long time.

-another world

2 people like this.
  16. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    First off, this trailer kicks ass! Secondly this game should be called "Lost in Blue: Tomb Raider Edition". Finally, is it me or is there a chance that this game might be the first to get the ESRB content descriptor for "Sexual Assault"?

17. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    That... looked absolutely amazing.

I like the new, "softer" Lara. Don't get me wrong, this indeed a lot like Lara Drake: Tomb Rider, but honestly? It's lookin' pretty awesome so-far. It's a reboot, they can try new stuff if they feel like it and if it's done right, it's going to be a hit.

18. Guild McCommunist

United States
    My issue with a "softer Lara" is that it feels too much like Metroid Other M. They try making the character seem more vulnerable and it ends up with them just making the main character a sexist damsel in distress. Like I want her to, I dunno, be a bit of a pansy for the first act of the game and then grow some girl balls and start being a bad ass. I don't want her screaming and crying the entire fucking game. That's how Other M ended up being such shit (well, there's plenty of other things that make it shit but the Samus character was the most prominent).

19. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    A certain number of things have to go wrong for a game to be on Other M level, so I don't think you have to worry about that happening.

1 person likes this.
  20. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I think they want to show how she started off. Notice that by the end of the video, Lara was pretty much her bad-ass self. I think they want to give her human, specifically feminine traits because the end-product of the original felt more like a guy with breasts, if like a human at all. They want her to be more realistic and to establish a connection with the player on levels other than "boobs".

That, and Other M's problems are often blown out of proportion.

1 person likes this.