Tomb Raider Reboot Dated, New Gameplay Trailer Released

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they want to show how she started off. Notice that by the end of the video, Lara was pretty much her bad-ass self. I think they want to give her human, specifically feminine traits because the end-product of the original felt more like a guy with breasts, if like a human at all. They want her to be more realistic and to establish a connection with the player on levels other than "boobs".

That, and Other M's problems are often blown out of proportion.

Well by the end of the trailer I was watching her still scream and cry and almost get raped or something. I mean yeah you saw her climbing and running away from airplane blades and she'll have more character than the original Lara Croft but I don't want her screaming and bitching so much. It seemed more like her crying and going "I CAN'T DO THIS DADDY ISSUES" instead of her going "Well, I'm in a shit situation, but toughen up buttercup and kick some ass!"

With female characters that are previously seen as "independent" and "strong", it's risky business to make a prequel that shows how they got there. Admittedly Metroid Other M wasn't a prequel to the whole series (which was one of its issues) but it's hard to make the character develop to be strong without them coming off as too much of weak cry baby in the beginning.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'll reserve my judgement until I play the complete game - so far it shows promise, but like you said, she does come across as a weakling and I hope that they will include her gradual development into the story. That'd be a nice "journey into the wilderness and into self-discovery" motif, I think. The game's made by Crystal Dynamics - with games like Legacy of Kain series on their resume I am more than certain that they can convey a meaningful and interesting story through a game mostly focused on action sequences. I just hope that the platforming element and environment puzzles will not be lost in the process of "uncharting" Tomb Raider and that the game will not be dumbed down for today's audience.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll reserve my judgement until I play the complete game - so far it shows promise, but like you said, she does come across as a weakling and I hope that they will include her gradual development into the story. That'd be a nice "journey into the wilderness and into self-discovery" motif, I think. The game's made by Crystal Dynamics - with games like Legacy of Kain series on their resume I am more than certain that they can convey a meaningful and interesting story through a game mostly focused on action sequences. I just hope that the platforming element and environment puzzles will not be lost in the process of "uncharting" Tomb Raider and that the game will not be dumbed down for today's audience.

I won't pass complete judgment until its release either, it's just tricky to show a vulnerable female character develop into a stronger one. If they do it too early then it's just a "jumping the shark" of characterization. Due it too late and it makes them seem like some frail stereotypical woman.

Ideally I'd see a dramatic shift in her character after the first act. Like she's kinda in shock after the whole incident and she eventually copes, toughens up, and gets to the story at hand (whatever that may be, the story was something about her friends being taken or something but it's also Tomb Raider so there's probably tombs to be raided as well).

It could be really awesome though. I can see some mechanics like Metal Gear Solid 3's survival aspects but a bit more fine tuned (meaning that hunting and food preparation is a bit more of a task), have a semi-open world (meaning generally there aren't any or few dedicated side quests but you're given free reign of the world to hunt, set up camp, find collectibles, whatever), and play in a cinematic fashion but still keep a lot of Tomb Raider platforming with third person shooter (plus some melee) mechanics.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, thx