Original "Tomb Raider" being ported as a homebrew game for the Sega 32X with OpenLara

Thanks to the open source recreation of the Tomb Raider engine, titled "OpenLara", the original Tomb Raider has seen a vast variety of homebrew ports over the years, with ports like the usual PC ports, Linux, IOS, OSX, Android, to even ports for other systems and consoles like the Switch, Xbox One, 3DS and the technical wonder that is the impressive GBA port showcased just a couple of years ago.

All those ports have allowed fans of the Tomb Raider franchise to enjoy their beloved title in their system of choice, and this year it seems like the adventure classic will become available as a homebrew port to yet another system, as the main developer XProger has started work on a port for the Sega 32X.

At the moment of writing, the showcased demo for the 32X port currently shows Lara Croft moving around in one of the game's first levels with fluctuating fps ranging from 15-20 fps most of the time. It's worth noting that this is just a prototype, and there's still some progress to be made, like SH2 OT processing, audio playback and multi-CPU according to the issue thread for the 32X port on GitHub.

The Sega 32X certainly had a very limited game selection during its lifespan (with only around 40 games being made for the system, including CD+32X titles), but thanks to the efforts of the romhacking and homebrew community, the system has been given more attention as of late, with projects like the 32X Resurrection hack made for the 32X version of Doom, which aims to bring a lot of the cut content back into the 32X version to bring it up to pair with other outings of the classic FPS, and now with OpenLara being ported into the Sega 32X, it will breath new life into the somewhat obscure system.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: OpenLara 32X issue thread
:arrow: OpenLara Sega 32X port download

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hope to be back around 2025, but there are still many interesting projects on the horizon because I have access to all Embracer Group franchises now and can push most promising of them.
But that doesn't stop me from buying more hardware for my backlog. Last year I got an Atari Jaguar, which I was able to fiddle only a couple of weeks to and achieved nothing. I also have Super FX cart for SNES, SNES itself and almost all consoles released since 1993. The search continues for a working Sega CD and Amiga 1200, so will see )
You are better off being realistic. I'm working on trying to get something finished I was working on 14 years ago. I have lots of unfinished projects from intervening period to get back to.

Amiga 1200 would be pretty amazing though. Dread looks great on it, but it's mostly a Wolfenstein 3d engine. A true 3d renderer might push an unexpanded machine.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How about even porting Tomb Raider in Sega Saturn instead of Sega 32X hardware add-on for Sega Mega Drive/Genesis? How about even Bayonetta for Sega Saturn?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
How about even porting Tomb Raider in Sega Saturn instead of Sega 32X hardware add-on for Sega Mega Drive/Genesis? How about even Bayonetta for Sega Saturn?
tomb raider was officially released on sega saturn...

240.jpg

bayonetta has no source code also its a ps3 game... that is 2 generations ahead...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto